XP-51B?

Bozothenutter

Would taking a perfectly good B/C, cutting off its nose and intake along the engraved lines.

Then doing the same with a perfectly good A and replacing these with the B/C bits get me close to the final 

spacer.png

Edited by Bozothenutter
Changed better picture

Not really.

If you want to make one of the five Mustang X airframes, there is a High Planes limited run kit in 1/72, or in other scales you will need to undertake some scratch-building.  The XP-51B nose is much closer to that of the production P-51B than that of the Mustang X

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 2

The nose is still a piece of cake - the worst thing is that both the Mk.X and the XP-51B used a slender (several inches lower in the cockpit area) Allison-engined Mustang fuselage (Mk.I/II or P-51/-51A/A-36). So you have to build everything not on the basis of the ArmaHobby P-51B/C, but on the Academy P-51 kit.

Cheers

Michael

Edited by KRK4m
  • Like 1

Do not want the X, just the XP-51B.

I like the B look with the 'high' wing.

Just noticed I used the wrong pic for the XP-51B, the  bottom aircraft has an earlier radiator intake.

Had a look at the AM/Academy P-51A and B. Seems the way they are set up, it would at least save me cutting off a nose.

You would have to mate a B nose and a B radiator scoop to a A fuselage. And please mind that the A fuselage ought to be somewhat lower than the B. We still need the definitive early Mustang in 1/72 as most model companies offer a B fuselage with their A models.

But I understand your wish, It sure looks different...

/Finn

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not to rain on your parade, but your nice work illustrates that the Allison mustang has the higher fuselage of a Merlin engined, which is not quite correct. Compare with the first picture.

It makes the conversion much easier, but largely unnecessary. Model companies, take note of this! 

/Finn

25 minutes ago, FinnAndersen said:

Not to rain on your parade, but your nice work illustrates that the Allison mustang has the higher fuselage of a Merlin engined, which is not quite correct. Compare with the first picture.

It makes the conversion much easier, but largely unnecessary. Model companies, take note of this! 

/Finn

Nope, compared the two fuselages  the P-51A has the wing mounted higher than the P-51B has ( have not measured, just lined up), so AM got it right.

quick compare of the nose cones. taped together , upper edge aligned.

Lighter colour is the P-51A

20220727-183209.jpg

11 minutes ago, Bozothenutter said:

Nope, compared the two fuselages  the P-51A has the wing mounted higher than the P-51B has ( have not measured, just lined up), so AM got it right.

Perhaps, it's not my scale so can't be sure, but I would have expected the bottom of the engine to be significantly deeper than the wing, as per your picture.

Anyway, how do you intend to cut for the radiator?

/Finn

11 minutes ago, FinnAndersen said:

Perhaps, it's not my scale so can't be sure, but I would have expected the bottom of the engine to be significantly deeper than the wing, as per your picture.

Anyway, how do you intend to cut for the radiator?

/Finn

some thing like this.....

upper edge of the cut off B intake needs trimming.

20220727-193441.jpg

• Like 1

Question for the Mustang experts.

Am I right in assuming that the pics of the 'high wing' XP-51B, er all there is?

would love to find a rear three-quarter shot and what end the lower cowling had on the wing.

found this on here, have the book:

49a-1026x667.jpg

this online:

image031.jpg

mustang-p-51-41-37421.jpg

mustang-xp-51b.jpg

north-american-mustang-xp-51b-41-37352.j

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bozothenutter said:

Could a mod move this to the section that kills my mojo, gives me stress and reminds me of the other gazillion projects I have ?

As it's a prototype, I guess it could be moved to RFI 🙂 

The profile shots you posted really make it look like a racer, a fairly lethal one.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bedders said:

Interesting photos. Looks like you'll also need the exhaust panels from a P-51H, and modify them slightly.

Justin

Well spotted!, great minds think alike!

Depends on what 'plane though.

The one I'm making is the one with cannon fitted  that seems to have more 'D' like shrouds.

• 1 month later...

Anybody have a good source for cockpit layout pics of an Allison Mustang?

Specifically interested in the internal support layout.

Restoration pics/site would be awesome.

Afaics it mostly follows the D, as the biggest difference was the dropped wing, but the devil is in the details....

1 hour ago, Bozothenutter said:

Anybody have a good source for cockpit layout pics of an Allison Mustang?

Specifically interested in the internal support layout.

Restoration pics/site would be awesome.

Afaics it mostly follows the D, as the biggest difference was the dropped wing, but the devil is in the details....

I'm afraid you are mistaken. The B/C and D are not that similar. Allison and B/C would be nearer each other.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

Which model, as they did change in detail from one to another?

That's the thing.

XP-51B started as  an Allison  engined P-51 that had the Merlin mounted by North American. 

The version I'm working on the the final one which has pretty much the B radiator intake, but still had the high mounted wing.

So it'll be a mix of A and B cockpit.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, FinnAndersen said:

I'm afraid you are mistaken. The B/C and D are not that similar. Allison and B/C would be nearer each other.

Oops, my bad, meant B/C.

Though a lot of the existing internal structure was only modified where needed.