F-5B Italeri 1/72eme 405thTTW

Hello Everybody!

Continuing my USAF jets saga, here is the little F-5B from Italeri. Not a new kit, but quite decent. Two big issues I tried to tackle:

- The wings are very thin (like the real bird) so the wheel wells are not deep enough: What I did was totally removing the whole wheel wells from each wings, leaving a large hole, glued in the extrados a thin plate of evergreen and re-construct the WW with the correct depth; after this the landing gear were installed but needs dramatically to be detailed (both main and nose);

-the cockpit, a known issue in all Italeri kits at that scale: I did a new one almost from scratch, the most challenging parts are the separation between pilots and the mechanism to raise the canopies which is very complex and obviously oversimplified by Italeri.

As I like camouflage "off the beaten tracks". I decided to represent an F-5B from the 405th TTW sporting an unusual version of the SEA for the F-5, the FS 30219 Dark Tan been replaced by a light beige color, but not everywhere. Also, the yellow band on the top of the fin is not completely painted. Unfortunately I have only one photo of the aircraft, right side:

spacer.png

The 405th TTW bagde is home made, names on the canopies are fake because too small to read. So here is my version:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hope you will enjoy it! Have Fun SAFELY! 

• Like 35

This is an excellent build Patrick. The camouflage and the cockpit detail look superb.

I'm especially interested in this part........

On 7/15/2022 at 11:14 AM, PATRICK FROM THE SANDS said:

What I did was totally removing the whole wheel wells from each wings, leaving a large hole, glued in the extrados a thin plate of evergreen and re-construct the WW with the correct depth

What thickness was the plate you glued back in? I have this kit and it seems the existing thickness of the wing above the main WW is around 1.6mm. Also, did you deepen the wheel bay within the fuselage? That looks to be very tricky to do!

I have several Esci/Italeri F-5's and I'm looking for a standard way to deepen all the wheel bays.

Thanks

Terry 

41 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

This is an excellent build Patrick. The camouflage and the cockpit detail look superb.

I'm especially interested in this part........

What thickness was the plate you glued back in? I have this kit and it seems the existing thickness of the wing above the main WW is around 1.6mm. Also, did you deepen the wheel bay within the fuselage? That looks to be very tricky to do!

I have several Esci/Italeri F-5's and I'm looking for a standard way to deepen all the wheel bays.

Thanks

Terry 

Hello Terry! 

Thank you for your kind words! About the wheel wells, I completely removed the original one from the wings, including the extrados. It is not too difficult to do because the plastic is soft and not so thick. Then I glued on the upper part of the wing (the extrados) a thin plate of Evergreen (the thinnest one) and sand it. Like this I have a wheel well with the correct shape and depth viewed from the intrados. For the fuselage part, I didn't do any surgery, the depth is correct for the wheels to fit inside. Unfortunately I don't have any photos of this, and I don't know if my explanations are clear enough... BTW, I have also the Sword T-38 kit 1/72, the WW are even worst! 

But this is not the most difficult work to do on this kit, I spent hours to figure out and scratch both canopies folding mechanism, which as I said in the post quite complex. It was quite challenging! 

spacer.png

Happy modeling! 

• Thanks 1