Ejection seat handles

Stressy

I make the pull handles at the top of the bang seat from thin wire, but painting the black and yellow is always a challenge and never totally satisfactory.  I've  seen some beautiful examples on this site. Does anyone have a good method they feel inclined to share?  I  should add that I'm talking 1/72 scale.

A very thin and new brush, steady hand and water based acrylic paint (so you can wipe it off and start again if the result is unsatisfactory). Other than that, use pre-painted PE by Eduard or some other company.

Similar to Dave, but use fine thread, one black, one yellow. Twist together and then firm up with a smear of superglue before forming around a suitable piece of rod or cocktail stick. Make sure to remove them quickly when 'moulded' or they'll stick to the former. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, arfa1983 said:

I don't claim to be a pro, but I am lazy. I paint the handles yellow then use a black drafting pen to draw the black lines.

Thats how I did them......until.....

Google...................................................  MB ejection seat handles 1/72 - Eduard Store

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PLC1966 said:

Thats how I did them......until.....

Google...................................................  MB ejection seat handles 1/72 - Eduard Store

That's pretty cool. I will have to get a 1/48 set. Doesn't the edge of them still have the brass/steel colour though once folded?

7 minutes ago, arfa1983 said:

That's pretty cool. I will have to get a 1/48 set. Doesn't the edge of them still have the brass/steel colour though once folded?

Yes. And the "paint" has a habit of chipping off. 

Prefer  very thin colourd wire.

Dick

13 minutes ago, arfa1983 said:

I have used the slightest bit of watered black paint to cover,   

• Like 1

Honestly, I believe the folded wire thing is more suited for larger scales. In 72nd, the wires would have to be so thin for this to not look oversized, but then they would break very easily, not to mention paint peeling off during the folding process...

12 hours ago, drake122 said:

In 72nd, the wires would have to be so thin for this to not look oversized, but then they would break very easily, not to mention paint peeling off during the folding process...

It works well in 1/72. I use copper wire stripped from domestic power leads, it's strong and 2 strands twisted together plus paint layer is lee than half the diameter of most kit handles, giving a much finer scale appearance. The twisting is best done shortly after the paint is touch dry and not fully cured so it is still flexible, but will often work OK days after painting. 

• Like 1

I prefer to use metal wires from telephone or electrical cords. I make the folds of the ejection handles, paint it yellow and after it dries, I apply a fine black or dark gray decal strip sealed with matte varnish.

SouthViper from Brazil 

2 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

It works well in 1/72. I use copper wire stripped from domestic power leads, it's strong and 2 strands twisted together plus paint layer is lee than half the diameter of most kit handles, giving a much finer scale appearance. The twisting is best done shortly after the paint is touch dry and not fully cured so it is still flexible, but will often work OK days after painting. 

Do you use acrylic or enamel paint to do this?

I am sure I saw something in my phone when on holiday in Turkey last week concerning 3D printed handles but I was not logged on my phone so I could not share at the time and cannot find it now! Maybe some more of these will be produced in time?

Kits-World 3D printed - KW3D172005 | Hannants 

paint 'em yellow, then out with the trusty W&N Series 7 000 and brace my hands together to reduce shaking.  Make sure the paint is nice and fluid to make the job easier :)

I build and detail 1/72 models.

I make my handles with very thin stretched sprue -

Then I use acrylic paint - first yellow then black with the finest possible brush.

I have never been able to find black and yellow thread with a small enough diameter for the handle to be to the right scale :(

Stretched sprue is very useful - I use it often while detailing models :)

Cheers, Moggy

• Like 2