Hello from New Mexico

NMS Models

Hello to all! I'm Kenneth. I have been an avid aviation enthusiast since my childhood, and had taken up the hobby from my younger to teenage years before dropping it for other things. But recently, my passion was rekindled by seeing all the amazing builds people have been putting out recently. This got me back into the hobby about a year ago, only this time my objective has been to strive for precise and accurate depictions of the planes I am building.

Obviously I specialize in aircraft models, mainly focusing in World War 2, with the occasional Cold War era plane as well. Most of my recent work have been single-engine fighter planes, but I do build larger bombers, too. I mainly work in 1/48 scale for smaller planes and 1/72 scale for the larger bombers. As of now, though I am beginning to work in 1/32 scale projects to my builds as I become more confident in my ability to add finer details to my builds.

Hope we all get along nicely, glad to be a part of this community!

Blogspot: https://nmsphotos.blogspot.com/

Examples (More photos available at my Blogspot, I'm only posting three so as not to clutter up the post):

Boulton-Paul Defiant Mk I (night-fighter variant) in 1/48

spacer.png

Republic P-47D Thunderbolt (Bubbletop) in 1/48

spacer.png

Chance-Vought SB2U-3 Vindicator (Midway colors) in 1/48

spacer.png

• Like 8

Nice models.

Whereabouts in NM are you?  I visited Albuquerque once some years ago, sadly it was for work, so I spent most of the time in the hotel and the conference centre across the road, but I did manage a trip to the Old Town and the National Atomic Museum.

I lived in Albuquerque when I was younger but moved out to the mountains as I was finishing high school. Nowadays I live in a small town about 20 miles east of the city. I don't tend to get out that way as much anymore, but still visit on occasion. It's quiet and peaceful (mostly, when the dogs aren't making a ruckus), well-suited to a pastime such as this.

The atomic museum is always worth a visit, as is Old Town. Just be wary of the jewelry vendors, a lot of them try and sell fake turquoise rings to tourists, if that matters to you. Also if you visit NM you have to try the chili. It's not like anywhere else in the country; New Mexico chili is a unique and delicious experience, not so much a dish as it is a sauce or condiment. Out here grocery stores sell bottles and bottles and bottles of chili, and everyone looks forward to the Hatch harvest when you can get your chilis freshly roasted outside. We put it on almost everything.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, NMS Models said:

Also if you visit NM you have to try the chili. It's not like anywhere else in the country; New Mexico chili is a unique and delicious experience, not so much a dish as it is a sauce or condiment. Out here grocery stores sell bottles and bottles and bottles of chili, and everyone looks forward to the Hatch harvest when you can get your chilis freshly roasted outside. We put it on almost everything.

I did: chilli for breakfast was certainly a novel experience.

I wish I'd had more time to explore, but my employer was paying the bill, so not unreasonably had first call on my time.

Edited by MikeC

Hello Kenneth … :post1: from the windy city of Chicago, Im mostly a military aircraft builder myself. Ive been to Albuquerque and Santa Fe and fell in love with your state. Someday I do hope to return for many more visits.  

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Welcome Kenneth to the forum. If you haven't guessed already we are a great bunch of folks here.

Been to Albuquerque a number of times and visited both old town the atomic museum in both places i was at and have built kits for the display in Albuquerque's airport.

The USAF delivered me to Clovis in 1980 and stayed after retirement in 1993.

Great looking kits ,we would like to see more in the finished form and work in progress.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

Love the models!

My wife was born and brought up in Corrales until she went to high school. We even were married in the church of San Isidro there. She still has family in the area so we have spent a lot of time in New Mexico during our thirty-plus years of marriage, most recently several days at Chaco and Canyon de Chelly. We still have a house (built in 1820) in Las Vegas.

I have to ask - red or green?

Maurice

Edited by mdesaxe
extra information

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome onboard!  Whilst not being an aircraft modeller since my teens (more than half a century ago) I can still appreciate well built models.  I especially like the P47 - and the Defiant, a much maligned but nonetheless bloody awful aircraft not often mentioned these days.  Great models.