Revell 1/48 F-5F, a Sundowners Aggressor FINISHED

jackroadkill

Jets aren't really my thing; neither are US aircraft, so it makes perfect sense that I'd want to build an F-5, right?  I have dim memories of my younger brother building a Matchbox F-5 in a rather fetching two-tone beige and brown in about 1990 but that's as close as I come to being an expert on the type.  Oh, and having seen them in the sexy all-black schemes in Top Gun.  Here's my kit for this STGB:

spacer.png

The kit is, as I'm sure you already know, a 2010 re-box of Monogram's 1985 re-box-with-new-parts of its own 1978 tooling.  It doesn't look too bad (famous last words), but I've only had a quick look over it, so it will probably turn out to be a complete dog's breakfast and require litres of filler and yards of wet-and-dry paper to make it even somewhere close to fitting together.  It has raised panel lines, so anything is possible...  I'd wanted and AFV Club kit, but seeing as I couldn't find one for under forty quid I went for this one, which I got for the far more reasonable sum of £21.  I'll paint it with CC enamels and use the kit decals, other than the emblem on the tail, which I'll spray.  I've got some Master barrels and a pitot due in any day from the Big H, but other than that she'll be built OOB.

As I'm stuck at home with Covid I'm desperate to get the ball rolling on a new build, but I'm going to wait until Saturday before I attack the kit.  I've allowed myself one preparatory foray so far:

spacer.png

Not the most exciting picture you'll have seen today, but hey, it's a start!

Any criticism. advice or recommendations that golf might be a more suitable pass-time can be sent care of Roadkill Acres.

Cheers,

JRK

• Like 12

The F_5F is a great looking member of the family, and doing a Sundowners bird gets my attention every time.

A word of warning which you eluded to yourself, these are not the best fitting of kits. This does not mean they are unbuildable, far from it, but you will need to take your time with the main joints and test fitting is definitely your friend. I built one of the E's years ago so it is doable.

🇺🇦

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

you will need to take your time with the main joints and test fitting is definitely your friend

Thanks for the tip; I just hope it's not any worse than my Matchbox Meteor build!

• Like 1

Despite testing positive again this morning I feel a bit sharper than I did yesterday, which is good timing, seeing as the brakes are off on this STGB.  The Big H delivered the brass parts yesterday, and I decided that whilst I might not have the exact shade of paint I need for the cockpit I have a shade which is very nearly correct, so I'll go with that.  The brain fog is still doing its thing - I dismantled my old home-made spray booth yesterday whilst still awaiting the delivery of some bolts I need for the new version, so I'm not able to use my airbrush until they arrive.  No matter, the interior can be done with a brush.

The kit has more flash than a suburban dogging convention, so my scalpel and sanding sticks have already been busy.  I was going to paint up the standing pilot figure, too, and stand him at the bottom of the crew ladder, but he's got a sink mark the size of a watermelon (at 1/48, of course) in the middle of his back, so I'm not going to bother.  This picture shows what we're dealing with, mold-wise:

spacer.png

For some reason, somebody at Revell decided that what this kit really needed was a copyright mark, so they put one here:

spacer.png

Why it's marked 2001 I can only guess....  In any case, I got rid of it.

Whilst you can't really see much of it, I've assembled and painted the base colour in the cockpit.  Grey paint, grey plastic - you get the idea:

spacer.png

I test fitted the fin, too.  Well, I say test fitted, it doesn't fit, really, so perhaps I should say I had a look at how much filling the joint would need.  At least the cockpit detail is reasonably good, eh?  Once the base colour is dry I'll paint the rest of it, and maybe scratch up some ejection seat handles etc.  I'm planning to build it with the canopies open, so I suppose I'd better make some effort with the interior!

As I'm going to build it to represent the airframe as shown in one particular picture (Fort Worth, in 2007 - https://www.airfighters.com/photo/235530/M/USA-Navy/Northrop-F-5F-Tiger-II/840456/ ) it won't need any pylons other than the central one for the big drop tank (what will actually go on it I have no idea, as the tank provided in the kit is nothing like the right one), so I decided to fill the slots for the other pylons that are present in the wing lower surfaces.  It was whilst doing this that I found something else indicative of just how shonky amazing this kit is:

spacer.png

That's a lovely set of locating pin sockets, I hear you cry.  Why yes, it is, sez I, but look at this - no pins to fill 'em!:

spacer.png

So, overall the kit isn't going to win any shake and bake awards, but I like it well enough so far.  Please feel free to remind me of this when I'm cursing the air blue in a few posts' time.  It's great to have actually started this build as I've been looking forward to this STGB for what feels like ages, even though I only signed up a few weeks ago.

Thanks,

JRK

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

38 minutes ago, Luke1199 said:

Genius copyright placement, how did that get through quality assurance? 😆

God only knows, but someone needs a good talking to.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Good to see your build underway Jack.

Definitely not one of Monogram's best kits but the shape is good and the cockpit detail is to their usual standard, but yes there are "anomalies" and fit issues.

🇺🇦

Thanks very much, Craig.  I was hoping to make some decent progress with the kit today but have. really struggled to achieve much thanks to the covid.  I've painted the dark areas inside the cockpit, and the seat pads, as well as getting the canopy lifting struts fitted (eventually).  I've also modded the (frankly terrible) gun barrel mount so that it will allow me to fit the Master barrels.  Pictures will follow when there's anything much to see.  I'm hoping to get back to it later today.

• Like 2

I know what you mean about covid and its effects, I'm still suffering with long covid after catching it 18 months ago and some days everything is a real struggle. There's no rush with anything mate so if you don't feel like doing anything, then don't do anything.

🇺🇦

• Thanks 1

On 16/07/2022 at 13:34, jackroadkill said:

That's a lovely set of locating pin sockets, I hear you cry.  Why yes, it is, sez I, but look at this - no pins to fill 'em!:

Ummm, turns out theses are actually blind holes that need drilling through so you can mount the vanes on the upper surface of the wing....  Maybe this is more indicative of my shonkiness as a kit builder than of the kit's deficiencies.  Ho hum.

• Haha 1

Some small progress, as I feel less virus-ridden today.  Here's the shoddy job I did of the cockpit interior yesterday:

spacer.png

Tidying it up and adding some more detail is the next job on the list, as it's not very pretty at all.  I should have waited until I felt better, but I was keen to get on and obviously my judgement was clouded.

Much more positively, though, the last parts for my new spray booth arrived, so I was able to crack out my airbrush and splash a bit of colour around, in this case some dark grey on the upper parts of the cockpit:

spacer.png

You can't see an awful lot, because, well, it's all dark grey, but it's progress, right?  While I has the paint in the airbrush I also sprayed the jet nozzles.  The colour isn't a bad shout for the interior of the pipes (not that you'll see much, as I'm planning to make some FOD covers for them, due to the stunning lack of detail - they're just empty holes that let you see right into the fuselage interior), and it will make a decent undercoat for the metal finish on the exteriors.

I've also knocked back the filler in the pylon holes under the wings.  the next jobs are to finish the cockpit interior and start the mating process of the fuselage / wing upper and lower sections.

• Like 8

The Great Glue-Up commences:

spacer.png

I started at the sharp end and am moving slowly rearwards:

spacer.png

So far, so good.  I've stopped where I am, lest my confidence should be my downfall.  The port wing underside has been cemented in but the same can't be said of the starboard; I'll get to that in the morning, and continue working my way back once tonight's efforts are fully cured.  One boo-boo, though - I forgot to put the cannon barrel mount in before I closed the fuselage up, so will have to figure something out for those.

Next steps (once the GGU is done) will be to repair any seam issues and then fit the tailpipes and intakes.  The intakes particularly are going to take some sorting; they're badly moulded and looking at the mountings they're going to either need grinding to fit or will need substantial filling to make them locate properly.  All good fun....

• Like 10

1 minute ago, modelling minion said:

You cracking along with this one Jack

Having Covid has been a blessing and a curse; it's given me time to work on the kit but the brain fog has led to mistakes.  Anyway, I've just tested negative, so I'll be back to work on Wednesday, so progress will slow a bit then.

• Like 2

Some more progress today:

spacer.png

I made it through the GGU, almost without resorting to silliness.  As you can see, some silliness was required, but the end justifies the means, really.  Once the cement had gone off I did a small amount of sanding and then sorted out the leading and trailing edges of the wings, stabs and fin.  And then I got busy with the filler.  Oh, joy, of joys, filler!  Surely everyone's favourite part of the process?:

spacer.png

This might look like overkill but it's AK's water-soluble filler, and most of what is there will be washed off, certainly at the front end.  The rear is a different story, where there was no getting away from the upper half overhanging the lower by about 0.15 - 0.2mm, so there will be a bit of careful blending taking place there.

Otherwise, that's it so far today.  I might have a crack at the Shonkiest Intakes In The World..... Ever (TM) if time allows.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Don't think I have seen the AK filler before, very interesting looking stuff.

It's the best filler I've used, but I won't be buying any more (I'm an AK conchie), unfortunately.

• Like 1