Revell 1/48 F-5F, a Sundowners Aggressor FINISHED

jackroadkill

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick note to say that I have actually been working on this build, honest!  Everything in terms of the painting seems to have gone very slowly indeed, and a cock-up on my part when painting the exhaust covers has put another couple of days on things.  At the moment it's drying off a bit more, but hopefully I'll have something to show you all soon.

Cheers,

JRK

• Like 2

Right, some actual progress to show you.  I've been working on this build but doing fiddly things that need ten minutes of painting followed by a day of drying, and other jobs of that nature.  However, I've finished the alloy heat shields / engine covers / thingummyjigs, painted the radome, and as is hopefully very apparent, sprayed the tail insignia. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

The heat shields aren't what I was hoping they'd be - I wanted fully chromed but couldn't airbrush the metallic enamels well enough to get this.  I did partially redeem things with four or five coats of W+N Galleria gloss over the heat-blueing that I used CC's Bright Blued Gunmetal and Parkerised Gunmetal enamels (heavily thinned) to simulate, so it's not all bad.

The tail insignia is something I'm pretty happy with.  There's a few corrections that need to be made, mostly down to some shoddy masking on my part, but I really like the effect and when it's all dry I think it will look the part.

Onwards and upwards - any comments and criticisms gratefully received.

Cheers,

JRK

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

spacer.png

Little more than a teaser, I'm afraid.  I seem to have been stuck doing piddly little bits here and there, even though I thought "Surely the gloss coat will be next" about two weeks ago....  Turns out that real life truly gets in the way of building.  Anyway, tonight I put most of the undercarriage and the speed brakes in, so I am at least getting somewhere, if not making giant leaps.  I've also got the black paint on the arrestor hook and cut out and painted the transparent sections of the navigation lights.  So, there's some progress being made.  Hopefully I can get the gloss coat on soon.

Cheers, and thanks for keeping the faith!

Owen

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

The worst ever?
What did they do wrong?

Hope the rest behave better than these

They're reluctant to come off the backing paper, they're thick, not very sticky and the carrier film is opaque.  Other than that, they're marvellous, apart from the stencils looking comically oversized!

2 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Sorry to see you having issues with the decals Owen, very unusual for Revell decals as they usually behave very well.

🇺🇦

Being fair to them they're a million years old.  They're starting to behave themselves with liberal applications of Ammo's Ultra Decal Fix, so it might be okay.  I'm so glad I painted the tail insignia though.  That would have been a nightmare to decal.

• Like 1

spacer.png

Not a great photo but proof nonetheless that I got the remaining decals on. Lots of decal softener has gone on since the picture was taken, so hopefully the look of the things will improve a bit.  I'm umming and ahhhing about using the aircrew names, as the ones in the kit aren't the same as the ones in my reference photo...  Either way, the next job in another coat of gloss - these decals will need holding down good and proper.  There won't be much weathering, but between the gloss and matt coats I might do a bit of filtering to tone the bright red of the decals back a bit.

Cheers,

JRK

• Like 8