Revell '31 Ford Woody/Tudor sedan. Surfs Up!

Cowabunga Dudes, Surf's Up for the GB. 🏄‍♂️

Yet another rebuild/restoration from me, this time I'll be cobbling together what I hope will be the two options shown on the box top of the Revell first issue kit on the left here...

IMG-3934.jpg

That box came from Revell with two bodies to choose from, the Surf Icon '31 Ford Woody and a Tudor Sedan. Only one chassis and one set of fenders though.

This one would have been a collector kit for me if the dreaded tire rot hadn't attacked a few of the white plastic parts. The tires have melted part of the roof, both inside and out, of the Sedan body along with a few other parts.

There's a lot of parts off the sprues as well.

A borderline collectable that is now promoted/demoted to builder status, depending on how you view these things. I swing both ways.

IMG-3935.jpg

The second box, the later Woodstock issue, has enough recovered parts in there to build a Woody. The parts are a bit battered, but there's a model in there if you squint a bit.

The wheels and tires look like they came from a Monogram Thunderbird. They will get changed.

IMG-3949.jpg

The plan is to make a copy of the first box top with both kits enjoying a day at the beach.

IMG-3941.jpg

• Like 14

4 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

If you nail the box art scene it will be a showstopper. Go, Tony, go!

Surf City, here we come...

Sticking with Jan and Dean means I don't need a back seat or a rear window, but it still takes me where I wanna go...

4 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

My oh my you're building the entire car catalogue aren't you. Its great to see these classic kits again, sone of which I haven't seen in well over 30 years. 

I'm going to make the most of this GB, it's giving me the opportunity to get on with projects that have waited far too long.

The hard part is going to be not overextending myself, which is my usual default setting. 😊

• Like 4

Looking forward to this one. 😃   I think I have some '31 woody parts if you find you're missing something,   That looks like the Buick engine from an AMT '40 Ford in your rebuilder.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Six97s said:

Looking forward to this one. 😃   I think I have some '31 woody parts if you find you're missing something,   That looks like the Buick engine from an AMT '40 Ford in your rebuilder.

Correct! Well spotted. I think I'll use it for this build, it fits the early sixties period quite well.

Thanks for the offer, I think I have enough for a build here though. I've got a few other body parts for a Woodie version that could go your way if you like. Maybe between us another build could happen? I'll send you pictures of the parts later.

Tony.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Very cool! :popcorn:

My next-door neighbor has a Tudor that he finished restoring about 6 years ago. I wasn't aware a Tudor-body kit was available.

It's a typical sixties Revell offering, over engineered and difficult to assemble. It has opening doors and the hinges are tiny things. It's all close to scale as well, making it all rather fragile. Add a bit of distortion to the body shell and you have a fit nightmare. I suspect I'll be building everything shut in an attempt at getting things properly lined up. The Revell tri chevy kits of the time are even harder to get right, what with all the opening doors, hoods and trunks provided.

• Like 3

I've got a '30 Ford Wagon and we call it a Woodie... Surf City, here we come. It's not very cherry, it's an oldie but a goodie...

And therein lies the first problem.

Following along with the box artwork, I've sprayed the fenders and running boards gloss black as well as the wire wheels.

All the woodwork got a yellow primer coat followed by a burnt sienna/ochre oil paint mix. That got wiped over to leave a rich wood finish. A whole load of parts got attention, including an MPC '29 Woody, hence the forest of parts in the picture.

IMG-3958.jpg

Things are starting to look a bit regal rather than sun faded and old. When I think of Surf Woodies, I don't have visions of pristine restored wagons with Dewey Webber stickers placed oh so carefully on the glass. A bleached out, bald tired, kept running with wire and hope, wagon stuffed full of surfboards is more my idea of how things were. I'll let this lot dry off for a day or two. I suspect a bit of weathering will happen once things are ready.

• Like 10

Rather than look stupid and ask, I thought I'd take the sensible option and find out for myself. My question was "why is it called a Tudor"?

Mr (Mrs, Ms, It etc....) internet says, that Ford called their two door sedans "Tudor" (two-door, geddit?) and the four doors ones "Fordor". It was a marketing ploy by Ford.

Here endeth the lesson.

Two girls for every boy apparently. Will we be seeing any bikini clad "Surfer girls" in your final two-car display, (or surfer dudes come to that)?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mike Dean said:

Will we be seeing any bikini clad "Surfer girls" in your final two-car display, (or surfer dudes come to that)?

Not this one Mike, I'm a bit rubbish at painting proper figures. The stuff I like is all a bit oversized for this build. Hawks Silly Surfers would be spot on had they been a bit smaller...

airfix-1476.jpg

The Hawk kits, along with the Revell Roth Finks are a shoe in with Monograms 1./8th scale cars though.

airfix-1481.jpg

I'm hoping to bring a few of the big cars to the GB party as it progresses.

• Like 5

Starting a Surf Woody seems to have brought the sun out around these parts. Over 100 degrees in old money this afternoon got the Woodies oil paint on the woodwork nice and dry in short order. An MPC Woody joined in, but that ones now in a bleach bath as it didn't quite work out the way I wanted it to.

IMG-3959.jpg

Things are a whole lot cooler at the front of the house, so I've brought the Woody inside as the shed is a tad warmer. Monogram and MPC take a much simpler route with their Woody kits, Revell do it the hard way with everything opening if it all goes well. The chances of four doors and a tailgate all fitting tightly yet still opening is next to zero I think. I've left the tailgate opening but all the doors have been fitted closed. The fit all round is very good indeed although a bit of clamping was needed to persuade the doors into the frames.

IMG-3963.jpg

It's coming together slowly but surely.

• Like 15

A bit of a setback to the build has cropped up.

The superglue I used to assemble the wooden frames has been less than super. Fitting the front cowl and screen part is fiddly as nothing lines up without a bit of tweaking. Attempting that over the weekend saw the glue joints start to come apart behind it. I've had to separate the parts and now need to clean up all the edges and start again with polystyrene glue. That will take a bit of time as the joints have to be just so, or something later down the line wont fit. I used superglue initially to remove the need for clamping as much as possible.

I'll be back...

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I remember the cowl and doors on the sedan had me cursing...  back in the box it went.  😄 If I'm feeling brave, might have a look when I've done these nice, simple Monogram builds.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, TonyW said:

The superglue I used to assemble the wooden frames has been less than super.

I once found an old bottle of opened Super Glue knocking about the house, and thought "great just what I need". I might as well have used toothpaste. It looses it's potency after a while. It appears to not have a long shelf life once opened.

BTW, the wood effect on the Woody panels is very impressive. Perhaps you should use wood glue to join them together?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

The Woody got a bit of work done on it today, it's been a while...

IMG-4076.jpg

I'm just getting back to where I was before the supeglue let me down in the post above. Cleaned up mating surfaces and good old tube glue to hold things together properly, I hope.

The Sedan body option that also comes in the box got its doors added, along with the body of another Revell Woody getting assembled as well. I have no idea if these two will get done during the GB, but making a start will help.

This lot needs to thoroughly dry before anything else can happen as the body parts are rather thin, the glue surfaces are minimal at best. Nice engineering but not exactly the strongest way of making the parts. There's next to no chance of all the working doors actually working for long without falling appart.

• Like 9