Gloster Meteor FIV RAF use

fatalbert

Hi all,whilst on holiday i have been reading Meteor Boys by Steve Bond (Grub street),a book i can heartily recommend, and there is a story about two Meteor FIV's colliding in 1955.They belonged to 12 FTS based at West Zoyland in Somerset.Now i didnt realise that RAF still used the FIV that late in the 1950's,Would anyone know when the FIV's were finaly retired.Many thanks.

Neil

12 hours ago, fatalbert said:

Hi all,whilst on holiday i have been reading Meteor Boys by Steve Bond (Grub street),a book i can heartily recommend, and there is a story about two Meteor FIV's colliding in 1955.They belonged to 12 FTS based at West Zoyland in Somerset.Now i didnt realise that RAF still used the FIV that late in the 1950's,Would anyone know when the FIV's were finaly retired.Many thanks.

Neil

The nearest that I can get to a retirement date Neil is 9 February 1963, that date being the last flight of VT196, though by this time it had been converted to a manned U.15.  As to the date that the F.IV was declared officially non-effective will need a bit more research.

HTH

Dennis

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, sloegin57 said:

The nearest that I can get to a retirement date Neil is 9 February 1963, that date being the last flight of VT196, though by this time it had been converted to a manned U.15.  As to the date that the F.IV was declared officially non-effective will need a bit more research.

HTH

Dennis

Thanks for that Dennis,I hadnt thought of the drones,i had forgotten all about those.I have done a bit of googling and it appears the FTS unit opperated airframes didnt last much longer than 1955/56.But it has got me wanting to dig out an old Frog FIV when i get back home and build one of them.🙂