RIAT arrivals and Friday show July 2022 (Batch 2 - 21/07)

34 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Just been watching the YT arrivals footage from yesterday and today. Love the RCAF A310 in retro colours!  And the Italian team as always are fascinating either displaying or just making a flash arrival!  The Piaggio Avanti is nice. I remember one doing a display at one of the last visits I made to RIAT and the commentator saying something along the lines that it is a modern take of the Triplane due to all those flying surfaces.  Wil try and watch tomorrows arrivals and practice on the same YT stream.  Makes up for me not being able to go. Just as well as my left hand is so bad sometimes, especially when I am all 'adrenalised' that any pics I take will be wasted due to bad blurry images.

The Italians are so supportive of RIAT and seem to send more aircraft than our own armed forces!

Sorry to hear about your hand, Paul. I hope it improves. 

• Alpha Delta 210 changed the title to RIAT arrivals days 13th/14th July 2022

Hello all.

As threatened, here is a batch of images from Thursday, the second RIAT arrivals day.

Some great arrivals and some excellent rehearsals - well worth £17!

DSC_3884.jpg

DSC_3907.jpg

DSC_3931.jpg

DSC_3973.jpg

DSC_4035.jpg

DSC_4048.jpg

DSC_4065.jpg

DSC_4071.jpg

DSC_4077.jpg

DSC_4097.jpg

DSC_4131.jpg

DSC_4146.jpg

DSC_4151.jpg

DSC_4196.jpg

DSC_4215.jpg

DSC_4240.jpg

DSC_4281.jpg

DSC_4306.jpg

DSC_4395.jpg

DSC_4407.jpg

DSC_4411.jpg

DSC_4447.jpg

DSC_4470.jpg

DSC_4858.jpg

DSC_4847.jpg

DSC_4840.jpg

DSC_4809.jpg

DSC_4744.jpg

DSC_4707.jpg

DSC_4695.jpg

DSC_4664.jpg

DSC_4482.jpg

DSC_4502.jpg

DSC_4514.jpg

DSC_4524.jpg

The WSO is raising his hat!

DSC_4973.jpg

DSC_4982.jpg

DSC_5010.jpg

DSC_5034.jpg

DSC_5044.jpg

DSC_5051.jpg

DSC_5163.jpg

DSC_5179.jpg

DSC_5191.jpg

DSC_5213.jpg

DSC_5235.jpg

DSC_5266.jpg

DSC_5284.jpg

DSC_5105.jpg

DSC_5020.jpg

DSC_4953.jpg

DSC_4907.jpg

DSC_4891.jpg

DSC_4878.jpg

Sorry for the number of images, but it was a busy day!

I hope they have given you a flavour!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 6

Beautiful shots, thanks for posting! I'm going Saturday and Sunday and feel like a kid on Christmas Eve at the moment!

• Thanks 1

Excellent views Leigh.  Don't worry about the amount of images, the more the merrier; especially for those of us who can't get to shows like this.  There are quite a few broken links though and I bet they are helicopters, my favourite subjects.  Any chance to get them fixed when you get back please?

cheers,

Mike

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Parabat said:

Excellent pics, what a great variety to see! Love the Hind, impressive beast.

Thanks for the kind words, Parabat. If you love the Hind, you would have been in your element today - there were Czech and Hungarian examples in the flying display and the Hungarian one was being flown in an extremely dynamic manner!

I've just got home, so will post some pictures tomorrow.

11 hours ago, F-32 said:

Beautiful shots, thanks for posting! I'm going Saturday and Sunday and feel like a kid on Christmas Eve at the moment!

Thanks very much, F-32. You're in for a traet - take plenty of water on Sunday!

6 hours ago, Stephen said:

Great pictures, thanks for sharing.

Thanks very much, Stephen. I'm pleased you enjoyed them.

6 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

Superb pictures again, sir.  Thanks very much for posting them.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed the second batch as much as the first! I will post pictures from today on Saturday. (SPOILER ALERT: My favourite moment was seeing the USAF E-4B land after the flying display had finished.)

5 hours ago, bootneck said:

Excellent views Leigh.  Don't worry about the amount of images, the more the merrier; especially for those of us who can't get to shows like this.  There are quite a few broken links though and I bet they are helicopters, my favourite subjects.  Any chance to get them fixed when you get back please?

cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed them and didn't feel bombarded by the quantity! Sorry about the broken links, but I can see all the images on my Windows PC and two Android devices. Can you let me know the file numbers and I will take a look.

There was some excellent helicopter action today, which I really enjoyed. (Pictures to come tomorrow!)

Hello Leigh,  the images have all loaded perfectly today, so it must have been my system causing the issue; and, yes they were helicopters!

cheers,|
Mike

• Haha 1

I saw the E4B the first time back in 1975 at Mildenhall. Same weekend that Lakenheath had   a display... thre were about 7 or 8 German F-104 in the display!!!!

Look forward to seeing more of your wonderful photography. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, bootneck said:

Hello Leigh,  the images have all loaded perfectly today, so it must have been my system causing the issue; and, yes they were helicopters!

cheers,|
Mike

Pleased to here it, Mike!

I'm reasonably good on aircraft recognition, but the H175M defeated me! Not a particularly nice looking helicopter!

My absolute favourite was the the CH-53G!

23 minutes ago, Paul J said:

I saw the E4B the first time back in 1975 at Mildenhall. Same weekend that Lakenhrath had  display... about 7 or 8 German F-104 in the display!!!!

Look forward to seeing more of your wonderful photography. 

Wow! I wish I had seen that! I remember the German Navy Starfighters startling everyone at Greenham one year with a surprise (very) fast low pass!

I'm just going through my shots from yesterday, so will post some this evening! I hope they don't disappoint!

• Alpha Delta 210 changed the title to RIAT arrivals and Friday show July 2022

Hello again!

I really enjoyed my 3 days at Fairford and am already looking forward to 2023!

Before the flying display started at 1100, there were several rehearsal/validation flights and some arrivals for the static display. 

DSC_5388.jpg

Hungarian Hind rehearsal

DSC_5445.jpg

Team Zeus rehearsal about to fly over my head, before being reprimanded by the tower for being "Too close!"

DSC_5491.jpg

'Baby Blue' Display Team rehearsal. The official aerobatic team of the Royal Danish Air Force (RDAF) consists of four Swedish built Saab T17 Supporters

DSC_5511.jpg

C-FGZE Top Aces McDonnell Douglas A-4N Skyhawk from Wittmund

DSC_5527.jpg

DSC_5542.jpg

Typhoon FGR4 ZK372 from 12 Squadron - a unique joint RAF/Qatari Emiri Air Force unit

DSC_5555.jpg

DSC_5568.jpg

The opening flypast

DSC_5579.jpg

DSC_5591.jpg

DSC_5613.jpg

DSC_5624.jpg

DSC_5666.jpg

DSC_5714.jpg

Austrian QRA intercept demo

DSC_5777.jpg

Italian C-27J - impressive as ever!

DSC_5805.jpg

DSC_5840.jpg

Finnish Hawk display was very dynamic

DSC_5887.jpg

DSC_5910.jpg

DSC_5942.jpg

DSC_5958.jpg

DSC_6014.jpg

20220716_090355.jpg

DSC_6037.jpg

DSC_6073.jpg

DSC_6106.jpg

The exciting post-show arrivals for the static display!

DSC_6119.jpg

DSC_6130.jpg

DSC_6138.jpg

DSC_6145.jpg

DSC_6155.jpg

DSC_6219.jpg

DSC_6237.jpg

DSC_5000.jpg

DSC_5007.jpg

Thanks for looking and I hope you enjoyed them!

• Like 7

The hits keep coming... some excellent pics there AD, I keep scrolling down and keep getting rewarded by the variety and the quality of the pics, thank you for sharing these pics. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Parabat said:

The hits keep coming... some excellent pics there AD, I keep scrolling down and keep getting rewarded by the variety and the quality of the pics, thank you for sharing these pics. 

Thanks very much Parabat.  I do believe that I'm blushing!😊

I must confess that naughty Zeus is my favourite shot!

1 minute ago, Lord Riot said:

Outstanding shots, and great to see for those of us not there!

Lovely to see a Hunter flying, I just wish it was painted in RAF camo!

Thanks very much, LR. I enjoyed this RIAT immensely because I saw most of the aircraft arrive and then watched the less busy show day on Friday. 

Highly recommended!

Great pics AD and thank you for sharing :worthy:

That Irish Air Corps PC-12 “280” won the Concours d’ Elegance award for best static display aircraft at the show, which is a great honour for all involved. 

Der

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dermo245 said:

Great pics AD and thank you for sharing :worthy:

That Irish Air Corps PC-12 “280” won the Concours d’ Elegance award for best static display aircraft at the show, which is a great honour for all involved. 

Der

Thanks very much, Dermo. I'm pleased that you enjoyed them.

I'm not surprised that the PC-12 won the Concours d’ Elegance as it was gleaming!

1 hour ago, Britman said:

Excellent coverage, thank you for sharing with us. That Swedish jet trio reminds me of the British heritage display flight....  😟

Keith

Thanks, Keith. I'm pleased that you enjoyed them!

The Swedish jets were magnificent - such a shame that they weren't part of the weekend's flying display. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Fantastic set- thank you Leigh- what an amazing variety of aeroplanes this year hard to pick a favourite picture🙂

Colin

Thanks very much, Colin. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed them!

After seeing the Black Eagles crewing in at Boscombe Down, I was delighted to see how positively the crowd reacted to them. They are so much more dynamic than the European teams that we are familiar with. Perhaps due to operating more powerful jets?

My favourite aircraft was the E-4B, which despite being in service since the 1970s, I don't recall ever seeing before!