RIAT arrivals and Friday show July 2022 (Batch 2 - 21/07)

Hi all

This was my first time at Fairford for arrivals. I normally do the FRIAT Mach 2, which is Friday to Monday, but I have to say that I would definitely do it again! No traffic chaos and a pleasant, relaxed atmosphere!

Here are some of my favourite images and I apologise if they are not 100% sharp, but my eyes are stinging from the sun cream that oozed into them!!!

DSC_2914.jpg

DSC_2938.jpg

DSC_2943.jpg

DSC_2951.jpg

DSC_2962.jpg

DSC_2979.jpg

DSC_2987.jpg

DSC_3019.jpg

DSC_3051.jpg

DSC_3072.jpg

DSC_3085.jpg

DSC_3100.jpg

DSC_3146.jpg

DSC_3158.jpg

DSC_3187.jpg

DSC_3251.jpg

DSC_3283.jpg

DSC_3292.jpg

DSC_3317.jpg

DSC_3346.jpg

DSC_3359.jpg

DSC_3371.jpg

DSC_3399.jpg

DSC_3413.jpg

DSC_3430.jpg

DSC_3453.jpg

DSC_3468.jpg

DSC_3493.jpg

DSC_3521.jpg

DSC_3541.jpg

DSC_3559.jpg

DSC_3600.jpg

DSC_3670.jpg

DSC_3680.jpg

DSC_3699.jpg

DSC_3720.jpg

DSC_3741.jpg

DSC_3762.jpg

DSC_3782.jpg

DSC_3791.jpg

DSC_3808.jpg

DSC_3826.jpg

DSC_3853.jpg

Thanks for looking. More to come tomorrow!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

Lovely photos, thanks very much for posting them.  Excellent to see the Tornado coming home.

Thanks very much. I'm pleased that you enjoyed them. I was so excited to see a Tornado again. The second one did three passes at 500 feet, 300 feet and 100 feet with burners and I just had to watch (and listen) rather than photograph!

3 minutes ago, gunpowder17 said:

The Gripen looks tiny , must be like a real sportscar for the pilot!

I agree, it is very small compared to some of its contemporaries, but I like it! I realised that there were NO F-16s today!

• Like 1

Thanks so much for this. I'm taking the family caravan, but not the family down on Friday for my visit on Saturday that my wife gave me for Christmas.

I last went to an airshow at Lossiemouth in 1986 and I am so excited it's embarrassing!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It was a warm one, wasn't it? For the first day of the arrivals, it was pretty good.

I was somewhat disgruntled, though. Waited until late afternoon for the Czech Hind and Hip, then they turn up as I was driving out of the airfield! Hot diggity! It was my choice to leave, of course... 

Thanks for sharing your images with us. 

Cheers. 

Chris. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Pigpen said:

Thanks so much for this. I'm taking the family caravan, but not the family down on Friday for my visit on Saturday that my wife gave me for Christmas.

I last went to an airshow at Lossiemouth in 1986 and I am so excited it's embarrassing!

I'm pleased that you enjoyed the pictures, Pigpen. 

I hope that you have a fantastic weekend. 

1 hour ago, spruecutter96 said:

It was a warm one, wasn't it? For the first day of the arrivals, it was pretty good.

I was somewhat disgruntled, though. Waited until late afternoon for the Czech Hind and Hip, then they turn up as I was driving out of the airfield! Hot diggity! It was my choice to leave, of course... 

Thanks for sharing your images with us. 

Cheers. 

Chris. 

Hi Chris. It sure was warm!

I was hoping to see the Hind and Hip, but decided to leave during a quit soell at 1700. 

I'm pleased you enjoyed the pictures. 

I'm looking forward to today!

1 hour ago, Parabat said:

A veritable Smörgåsbord of aircraft! Great pics, nice to see all of these planes.

Thanks Parabat! Today's list looks even better!

40 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Drool! Wish I could go any of the days.

That's a shame, Paul. I'll post some more this evening for your viewing pleasure!

38 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

That is a nice variety👍

I take it the Sentinal is ex RAF and what is sticking out of its nose?

Trevor

Thanks Trevor. I guess so. I wondered if it was a ram air turbine?

• Like 1

Beautiful photos yet again- love the shot of the No1 of the Frecci Triccolori.  Thanks for posting again, I still have my RIAT programmes from the 1970s your photos bring back those great days again.  Not so many airshows in NZ.🙂

Colin

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Beautiful photos yet again- love the shot of the No1 of the Frecci Triccolori.  Thanks for posting again, I still have my RIAT programmes from the 1970s your photos bring back those great days again.  Not so many airshows in NZ.🙂

Colin

Hi Colin. You're too kind - thank you!

I'm pleased to have brought back happy memories of air shows past.

The number of air shows in the UK has diminished markedly in recent years, but I still appreciate the variety of events compared to other countries.

I'm at Fairford again today and actually managed a spot on the fence, so I'm hoping for some slightly different shots from what looks to be a very busy day for arrivals and rehearsals.

Great shots, we’ve just had 2 F-16’s fly over, which we don’t normally get. Probably had a look at Stonehenge on their way to you.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Steve 1602 said:

Great photos! That’s got me rather excited about visiting this weekend! 😎 

Steve

Thanks Steve. Today is even better, with full displays from a Gripen, the Black Eagles and the Frecce Tricolori as well as lots of exciting arrivals!

Have a great weekend. 

3 minutes ago, speedy said:

Great shots, we’ve just had 2 F-16’s fly over, which we don’t normally get. Probably had a look at Stonehenge on their way to you.

Thanks very much, Speedy. Two Greek F-16s landed here a while ago, so it was probably them, comparing historical artifacts!!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Troffa said:

Really great shots! Wish I could make it up there. Watched a Belgian F-16 arrive on ADSB Exchange this morning. Looks like a good show.

Thanks for the kind words,  Troffa. It is shaping up to be a great show. Sorry you couldn't make it.

• Like 1

PlanesTV is/was streaming the arrivals on YT as well, I caught the Korean Black Eagles arriving. 
Nice shots btw, there was a lot of heat haze around!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alt-92 said:

PlanesTV is/was streaming the arrivals on YT as well, I caught the Korean Black Eagles arriving. 
Nice shots btw, there was a lot of heat haze around!

Thanks very much. Yes, the haze has been a challenge! The Reds did two flypasts with the Black Eagles. 

• Like 1

Just been watching the YT arrivals footage from yesterday and today. Love the RCAF A310 in retro colours!  And the Italian team as always are fascinating either displaying or just making a flash arrival!  The Piaggio Avanti is nice. I remember one doing a display at one of the last visits I made to RIAT and the commentator saying something along the lines that it is a modern take of the Triplane due to all those flying surfaces.  Wil try and watch tomorrows arrivals and practice on the same YT stream.  Makes up for me not being able to go. Just as well as my left hand is so bad sometimes, especially when I am all 'adrenalised' that any pics I take will be wasted due to bad blurry images.