Revell's 1:32 Me 262A-1a (new tool)

Hello guys,

While I study for my next exam this 20th and dread my upcoming visit to the dentist (Wisdom Tooth removal), I thought I'd show you my next big scale project.

It's the Revell (new tool) 1:32 Messerschmitt Me 262A-1a. I'm certain I won't be building any of the given schemes. I'll go for a what if colour scheme based in the early camouflage of the 262 in RLM 74/75. The only distinctive marking for this otherwise generic scheme will be the addition of a double chevron (from the Bf 109G-6 in 32nd scale from Revell) to denote a Captain's aircraft.

Boxart:

RlUBHYB.jpeg

Parts (still bagged):

gOxSgPK.jpeg

CXAZ2PH.jpeg

C1hbk6N.jpeg

WBTzCMn.jpeg

8fn2HTk.jpeg

eLFaSa9.jpeg

ysDVWcd.jpeg

• Like 5

Change of plans. I'll be building this machine as Adolf Galland's plane. I'll use the two white chevrons from an Fw 190 plane in 1:48. Not in the same scale, but I'm not going to worry about that. I'll also be able to use the R4M underwing rockets that come with the kit.

Edit: I've made a test run and managed to cut the chevrons from masking tape. They came out pretty well, so I'll be ditching the idea lf using the wrong scale decals and will be masking the chevrons.

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

I'll use the two white chevrons from an Fw 190 plane in 1:48. Not in the same scale, but I'm not going to worry about that.

Chevrons are pretty easy to cut out of masking tape - it would be a pity to use the wrong scale decals...

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Werdna said:

wrong scale decals

I just tried cutting them from masking tape. They came out pretty well, so I'll be painting and masking them when it's painting time.

@Biggles87 @jackroadkill @Silenoz glad to have you guys on board. Next updates will be after July 28th.

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Remember when I was enthusiastic for starting this kit? That enthusiasm was waned and now I dread to keep going. This is by far the worst fitting kit I've ever built, and I still haven't reached the painting stage! The nacelles didn't fit, they don't even follow the curvature of the wing. Then I tried mating the wings and fuselage together, and had to sand down quite a lot from the wheel wells to get a decent join. The only thing that fitted nicely were the horizontal stabilizers and rudder. I still haven't sanded the outer part of the engines, which also had huge gaps.

5w9rnpQ.jpeg

VVQpnVX.jpeg

rv7AubS.jpeg

QiD5Fnc.jpeg

qKOpsJT.jpeg

oVBkfJ1.jpeg

A7xg5gj.jpeg

AT4noSn.jpeg

nn9F2ZV.jpeg

VZ3gLmA.jpeg

• Sad 5

Sadly this is typical of modern Revell kits, Iffy fit and poor moulding. It seems more fashionable to bash Airfix these days, whereas Revell seem to get away with it!

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Doccur said:

Iffy fit and poor moulding

What's strange is that no one has said anything about the troublesome fit. Maybe I just got a faulty copy. I'll stick to other brands for now.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

It's actually an old kit. I built one in the '70's and the fit was about the same.

It's not the 70's mould, it's the kit that was released after the new tool Me 262B-1a/U1. This mould is from 2019.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Oh dear, I won’t be getting rid of my Trumpeter kit then.  🇺🇦

3 hours ago, Silenoz said:

me neither...

You two would be making a huge mistake by getting rid of the Trumpeter kit. I remember building two of them when I was younger. They were excellent kits.

6 hours ago, Walter said:

That's very odd the build I've seen on the internet including YouTube don't mention such an issue. 

I checked a video from Scale Aircraft Modeller on YT, and he didn't have any fit problems. I must have gotten a faulty copy. There's no way something like this wouldn't have been noticed in the quality control stage by Revell.

I began the painting stage. I started by painting white the areas where the chevrons would go. I then masked those areas with masking tape and applied RLM 82. Hopefully I won't have any paint bleed into the white areas. Photos later.

Finished painting the upper sides of the aircraft. I'm following Eaglecals's instructions for the painting scheme, which call for the upper sides to be painted RLM 82/83, and the undersides in natural metal with RLM 76 control surfaces. The white chevrons were painted first and masked.

The paint I used needed several thin coats to build opacity. The light panel lines weren't able to take the entire coats, filling several of them in the process.

CnzOORn.jpeg

8HDpLVN.jpeg

2vvOfkH.jpeg

• Like 4

With the aircraft glossed, it was time to add the decals. I used the crosses that came with the kit, which worked perfectly. The gloss and time of day make the colours look lighter than what I assume they were.

It's now time to matt coat the model and add the landing gear, retraction arms and underwing R4M rockets..

kUFBLaG.jpeg

OQIti5t.jpeg

wTeEtBs.jpeg

• Like 4

The landing gear has been glued. I'll let them dry before gluing the wheels and gear doors. The clear parts have been painted too, meaning the end of this build is just around the corner.

SgA0D2q.jpeg

• Like 5

After letting the glue dry overnight, the 262 is finally able to stand on its wheels. I also glued with white glue the clear parts. RFI photos now.

jQ4QCcQ.jpeg

• Like 6