Feeling the Heat?

224 Peter

Send some warmth this way please! I've got the fire lit and trying to stay warm this evening.:penguin:

On 7/20/2022 at 6:02 AM, Vince1159 said:

I never thought i'd see pictures on the news like this from the UK,a village called Wennington has been hit by a fire....

Something looks fishy with that fire. Especially with several houses near each other.

I'm suspecting a field caught fire and the houses on fire were downwind of it, and being rather dry managed to catch alight.

Nothing to do with "global warming" but just bad timing I'm guessing.

Not that I'm an advocate for Greta Whatserface, but I think that this did have quite a bit to do with global warming, because everything was tinder dry. There was also a similar occurrence in Dagenham. It's just a good job that the burning of crop stubble was banned several years ago. Imagine the carnage that the UK would be experiencing now if that was still allowed.

John.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Not that I'm an advocate for Greta Whatserface, but I think that this did have quite a bit to do with global warming, because everything was tinder dry. There was also a similar occurrence in Dagenham. It's just a good job that the burning of crop stubble was banned several years ago. Imagine the carnage that the UK would be experiencing now if that was still allowed.

John.

Have to agree.  Anyone who thinks it was "just bad timing" or "believes" it was "something" and nothing to do with global warming at all are just burying their heads in the sand.  Seen a lot of it across social media this week.  People making excuses instead of wising up.

You don't even need humans involved when it gets as hot and dry as it has been.  Prolonged heat build up through exposure to the sun, extreme air temps, and then all of a sudden boom, fire!

People would do well to educate themselves on autoignition, or anything about how fires break out.  All the, nonsense, for want of a better word, I've seen this past week to excuse the damage the extreme heat event has done, makes me wonder what people are/were taught at school, uni etc.  But I guess it's a sign of the times, that has been highlighted this past few years.

Thankfully it's cooled off now in my part of the UK, north-mid Essex.  And it's a bit more reasonable, at least tonight it seems to be.  It was also quite reasonable on Wednesday night, I actually managed to sit at the table for 4 hours and got some figure painting done, having left the back door and windows open since about 21:00 to let some of the heat out of the house, regardless of SWMBO's irrational displeasure!

Just waiting for the next extreme heat event...

Edited by RobL
  • Like 3

I saw something on the news that really put the temp's in the S/W of France into perspective,fireman throwing gas cylinders and bottles into swimming pools to try and stop them exploding...

Edited by Vince1159
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

I saw something on the news that really put the temp's in the S/W of France into perspective,fireman throwing gas cylinders and bottles into swimming pools to try and stop them exploding...

Fortunately, the temperatures have really dropped here. I'm about just over 100 miles north of Bordeaux and we have been experiencing the same temps as Bordeaux. but I'm glad to say that there aren't any forests around here to catch fire. Three hour thunderstorm yesterday morning, with a heavy downpour, and it made it so much more comfortable. 34 forecast for tomorrow, but they are forecasting more thunderstorms for Monday and later in the week. Fingers crossed that they get it right.

John.

• Like 2

On 7/22/2022 at 5:34 PM, RobL said:

Have to agree.  Anyone who thinks it was "just bad timing" or "believes" it was "something" and nothing to do with global warming at all are just burying their heads in the sand.  Seen a lot of it across social media this week.  People making excuses instead of wising up.

You don't even need humans involved when it gets as hot and dry as it has been.  Prolonged heat build up through exposure to the sun, extreme air temps, and then all of a sudden boom, fire!

People would do well to educate themselves on autoignition, or anything about how fires break out.  All the, nonsense, for want of a better word, I've seen this past week to excuse the damage the extreme heat event has done, makes me wonder what people are/were taught at school, uni etc.  But I guess it's a sign of the times, that has been highlighted this past few years.

Thankfully it's cooled off now in my part of the UK, north-mid Essex.  And it's a bit more reasonable, at least tonight it seems to be.  It was also quite reasonable on Wednesday night, I actually managed to sit at the table for 4 hours and got some figure painting done, having left the back door and windows open since about 21:00 to let some of the heat out of the house, regardless of SWMBO's irrational displeasure!

Just waiting for the next extreme heat event...

I think what is happening on your side of the pond is not the norm and people do need some basic education.  I live in Texas (right now even Chris Rea wouldn't want to come here (RIP)).  The normal temperature in July and August is 100 degrees and above (F).  It has been exceedingly dry this year (half of the rain for a normal year).  The grass is dry and very combustible.  I spent yesterday setting out winter round bales for the cattle and horses to eat as the grass in the pasture is just so dry and brown.  The temperature hovered around 100 degrees most of the day, but it was the coolest it has been in a few weeks so spent the entire day outside doing chores that have needed to be done.  We are used to the high temperatures and now how to work and carry on normal day to day activities.  For the most part, you just slow down a bit, drink a little more and keep check on your sweating.  Winter/Fall will come again and then people will be complaining about the cold and wet.  Just ride this little heat wave out and work on your tan.  (Just kidding as you have to keep quite aware of the sun to avoid skin cancer.)  Hang in there.

I entirely agree about the need to take care and appropriate action.  However I would point out that 100 deg F is less than the over 40 deg C seen widely over Europe.  And Texas foliage is adapted to this whereas temperate forests are not.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Another Month, another heat wave.....the modelling cave is, once again, too hot. 

I managed to finish the Spitfire Vb floatplane and the Vampire F1 pair but the Eurofighter has stalled. 

Almost too hot to think, 31c here, expected tomorrow...

Anyone actually enjoying the heat? I went to Tesco this morning, not because I wanted anything, but the A/C is amazing...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 224 Peter said:

not because I wanted anything, but the A/C is amazing...

I went into Iceland a couple of times a few weeks ago when the temp's were in the mid 30's and had a nice long look at their chilled section (i did buy some chicken though)...It's supposed to be up around 29/30 for the next 4/5 daysover here...

I don't know why some folks are having issues with the UK heatwave....

I'm currently lounging on my sofa, wrapped up in my favourite fur-coat, eating a very nice, spicy vindaloo and I'm contemplating throwing another log on the fire.

All joking aside, it's blinkety-flippin' HOT!

Chris.   

• Haha 2

It certainly is.

'Hotter than Debbie Harry in camiknickers feeding a beef vindaloo to Pan's People in a sauna in Bangkok'.

A memorable quote from Alan Partridge which definitely needs updating! 😄

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, IanC said:

A memorable quote from Alan Partridge which definitely needs updating!

Would "Scarlett Johansen gently blowing into Gal Gadot's left ear" be a more up-to-date rendition of this sentiment? I must go and lie down for a while now...

Chris. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I think I may have raised this question in a previous spell of hot weather, but with it getting very very hot for several days for the second this summer, I am again pondering what the contents of my loft residing stash is like now. I don’t even dare go up and look for fear of having a stash of warped fuselages.

6 hours ago, Filler said:

I think I may have raised this question in a previous spell of hot weather, but with it getting very very hot for several days for the second this summer, I am again pondering what the contents of my loft residing stash is like now. I don’t even dare go up and look for fear of having a stash of warped fuselages.

I should get up there.

It can get incredibly hot in lofts. 

3 hours ago, Neil.C said:

I should get up there.

Yes, I've never had enough kits to store in a loft but it can't be that healthy for the plastic or decals. Mine is like an oven, but only the mice use it. 

It's bloomin' 'ot in Chestershire today.  I'm currently hiding in the workshop with the aircon on though, where it's only 25°c, which seems pretty cool compared to 32°c outdoors, and 29°c indoors :phew:

I sleep in my loft......

My house is a standard semi-detached, however, it was built from the get-go with a loft conversion by the developers for the main bedroom. So no chance of having the opportunity to be able to have anything as esoteric as models for loft insulation! When we moved in, I was able to snag a cupboard in the bedroom that was going spare as my stash store. It's not that big, there's only about 200 kits (or less) in there. But... There are a number of 1/24 & 1/32 Airfix & Revell kits, so some very large boxes, which are taking up quite a lot of room, Without them, I would probably be able to get a lot more in there.

Temperature wise though... It's like a damn oven at night in the summer, and a bloomin fridge in the winter! 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Neil.C said:

I should get up there.

13 hours ago, IanC said:

Yes, I've never had enough kits to store in a loft but it can't be that healthy for the plastic or decals. Mine is like an oven, but only the mice use it. 

I guess the horse has already bolted, so what will be will be. I’ve not really had much option other than the loft as whilst 60ish kits is not a massive stash by some standards, it’s too many to fit anywhere downstairs. Plus to have them anywhere in plain sight of the missus would be asking for trouble. She’d melt them with her glare.

• Like 1