Feeling the Heat?

224 Peter

Well that was fun. Out in a lorry all day yesterday making deliveries around Norfolk (yes, I had my passport) and the aircon in the lorry packs up.

36deg in places by the weather app on my phone,

Was glad to finish and get in my car and crank up (down?) the temperature.

• Like 1

I'm up after 4 hours sleep at 4.30 am , temperature is 20C and here in the Cambridge UK area forecast to get to 42C today. House is very stuffy with heat and difficult to actually do any model making. My shed is no go like an oven. Desperately need rain none really for the last 10 weeks.

• Like 2

The temp over here overnight was 25 and so muggy i gave up trying to sleep,a nice breeze has picked up but the only problem with it is it's warm so no big improvement but at least the temp's supposed to be about 10 degrees lower than yesterday....

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

The temp over here overnight was 25 and so muggy i gave up trying to sleep,a nice breeze has picked up but the only problem with it is it's warm so no big improvement but at least the temp's supposed to be about 10 degrees lower than yesterday....

You must be a day ahead of the UK mainland then. You know, I still sometimes find it peculiar that we Britmodellers can have different weather while in the same conversation. 🤪

I'm giving myself the day off from modelling. I'll just read, research, tidy up, and potter about. I'm a bit stupid today (see above) from lack of sleep. I'll make more mistakes than progress if I pick up anything sharp or fragile. Thank goodness I'm retired - my sympathies to all of those who have to work today, or look after children.  

• Like 3

39 degrees  yesterday, 29 today! A 10 degree drop. I'll probably need to put a jumper on! They are forecasting possible thunderstorms this afternoon, and, wait for it.........RAIN!! I'll believe it when I see it.

John.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

You must be a day ahead of the UK mainland then. You know, I still sometimes find it peculiar that we Britmodellers can have different weather while in the same conversation. 🤪

Last night at 11 it was 29 the highest ever recorded they also said there were two other plces that were the same in the UK and broke records for nightime temp's...

My car (though in Mrs T's hands as hers is broken) was showing 38°C according to the text I had at 13.00. Our shaded weather station sensor recorded 36°C and a strong breeze has sprung up, although feels a bit like opening an oven door. Dining room thermometer has been stuck on 27 C/80F since bout midday

• Like 1

Out and about in the Sheffield/Chesterfield area today. Delivering the booze in a 16 tonner without aircon.

Got back to the yard in Lincoln to unload the empties around 14:00. 41.5C showing on the dash. 

Came home and jumped into the pool. Nice. 

• Like 1

Looking at the the news and reading these posts  it looks absolutely torrid over in Britain. I can hardly imagine how that feels.

Meanwhile here in the west of Ireland our two day heatwave has ended abruptly. Back to normal cloudy and 19deg. There's even rain forecast. 

Climate change? Not round  here mate.

• Like 1

I slept downstairs last night, as it was 31oc upstairs last night, and I couldn't face it.  I surrounded myself with fans and left the back door open, and it's my sad duty to inform you that no-one murdered me in my bed recliner.  I think the dogs would have alerted me, so I reckon I was pretty safe.  I'm looking forward to this alleged return to normality we're expecting, although right now it's showing 32.6oc on the patio.  The other two sensors are showing 35oc and 38oc, but one of them is usually in the sun when the other isn't.  I think 32oc is more accurate, as I placed that sensor where the sun never shines.  No, not there :analintruder:

• Haha 6

The thermometer on the windowsill in direct sunlight hit 48 C !

Rest of the house behind closed windows & curtains still hit 32 C.

Antarctica or Greenland  for the summer hols next year methinks...

54 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

I never thought i'd see pictures on the news like this from the UK,a village called Wennington has been hit by a fire....

We had a fire nearby this past couple of days, at a recycling centre, that may or may not have been down to the weather, although more than likely as it deals with clothing.  Dry clothes + extreme heat = tinderbox.  Luckily the smoke was blown in the other direction to where I live, I imagine others caught it though.  Norfolk Fire service according to my "local news" on the TV were called out to 100 or more fires today.  Such events will only become more frequent.

19 minutes ago, IanHx said:

Antarctica or Greenland  for the summer hols next year methinks...

For me it would be Stornoway or Lerwick.  They never seem to get above 20, Lerwick seems to usually be about 15 this time of year.  Don't know what the requirements for moving to the Outer Hebrides/Shetlands are though...

Edited by RobL
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Vince1159 said:

I never thought i'd see pictures on the news like this from the UK,a village called Wennington has been hit by a fire....

:frantic:

3 hours ago, RobL said:

For me it would be Stornoway or Lerwick.  They never seem to get above 20, Lerwick seems to usually be about 15 this time of year.  Don't know what the requirements for moving to the Outer Hebrides/Shetlands are though...

Main requirements are I would imagine

1) tolerant of midge bites

2) never want to go shopping on a Sunday

3) did i mention the midges ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, IanHx said:

Main requirements are I would imagine

1) tolerant of midge bites

2) never want to go shopping on a Sunday

3) did i mention the midges ?

Yeah, probably.  They do seem quite wealthy people up there.  I was wondering if like when you visit Southwold, you might be required to provide proof of income/second home ownership. 😀

• Haha 1

Wednesday Morning....10:30.... 21C with a breeze. 

Tuesday wasn't fun in anyway at all. 

I found it very tiring and I'm still lifeless, just too much heat. I got like this on a business trip to Delhi, India in 2018, the flight back wasn't fun at all.

It was that trip that triggered my decision to retire.  

Ten minutes ago, it absolutely hammered down. Didn't last long, but it was enough to drench everything, and keep the temperature down. All windows open with fly screens in place, giving a lovely draft blowing through the upstairs and downstairs. That's certainly brought the house temperature down a bit. Oh, and SWMBO now complaining that she's chilly. Sheesh!!

John. 

18 hours ago, Mike said:

I as I placed that sensor where the sun never shines.  No, not there :analintruder:

You mean at the bottom of CC's beer and liquor depository stash?

Here in North Devon (holiday), yesterday morning we had a short shower, with a bit of thunder and lightning; then in Bideford we had an absolutely hammering shower for about 10 minutes, then it cleared up. Temperature around mid 20's.

today it's been as low as 17, with light showers in Saunton sands, very bizarre weather.

The shaded thermostat is reading 21.7oc right now, which is almost 11oc lower than yesterday.  I'm feeling really tired today, like the weather sapped what little strength I had, and I just want to go back to bed despite a lie-in this morning :tired: