Feeling the Heat?

224 Peter

My modelling space is a part loft conversion, shaped like a tent an with a big west facing velux style window. 

It is wonderful...I can model away without any pressure to clear up from SWMBO.... listening to Classic FM and lost in my own little world. 

But over the last few days it has become unusable as it is just too hot. Sweat dripping onto a model isn't over helpful

Has anyone else had their modelling curtailed by the heat?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very similar Peter.  Down the shed, also with Classic FM in the background, but the heat inside has become unbearable.  I am spending much of my time this week back at the house,  just playing on the computer and practice my CAD stuff.

cheers,
Mike

• Like 2

I have a garden workshop which can get pretty hot, even though it’s well insulated. It’s bearable if I use the electric fan. I’ve had to abandon the bedroom though, as I just can’t keep it cool enough. A combination of middle age and illness mean that I can’t cope with high temperatures the way I used to. 

I’ve had a few hours sleep here and there over the past 24 hours and I can’t say I’m looking forward to the next week or so!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

My workshop is a converted garage, and it gets about as hot as your average house because of the insulation I put between the two skins.  It's still flippin' hot though, 24oc as I write this, but I've been reluctant to fire up my aircon because of the price of electricity right now, but I'm not sure whether there's much difference between that and the three fans I've got blowing away right now. :shrug:  I'll have to get my gadget out that gauges how much juice the individual fans are using by comparison when I can muster up the energy :tired:

• Like 1

Having said that, about the heat in my shed, it is very good for 3D printing.  The resin works very well indeed in this heat. 

I have been experimenting with clear resin on Wasp and Scout fuselages, and printed these today.

spacer.png

They won't win any awards for accuracy but I am pleased with the results. 

The Wasp has browned somewhat,  due to leaving it out in the sun to cure for too long. Another lesson learned. :doh:

spacer.png

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 7

Always used to practically give up during any kind of "summer" heat. Paint dries too fast, adhesives don't set, etc. etc.

Best find a "compelling" book and just put ya feet up.

Regards

Pete

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 224 Peter said:

Has anyone else had their modelling curtailed by the heat?

Yup.

I suffer with very bad insomnia anyway, but in this weather it's even worse.

The cavity wall and loft insulation we have doesn't help in the summer, but moreso, it doesn't help that SWMBO, i.e. my 65yr old mother whom I live with, insists on keeping the downstairs area of the house completely closed up, day and night.  She's either afraid of  something coming into the house (who knows what, the usual answer given is "insects"?!), or simply no longer comprehends, if she ever did, how heat rises from the ground up, especially during the latter part of the day, and keeping doors/windows downstairs closed just funnels the heat upwards! 

She'd rather push up the electric bill and push hot air around with useless 20+ year old ceiling fans.

It's irrational at best and all I get is an argument and poor excuses if I try to open the house up. 

Sorry. /rant

Edited by RobL
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Not looking forward to Sun/Mon/Tues as its due to be 90+ in my part of the UK (Leeds) with a 'feels like' temp of 98 on Tuesday! I was hiding in the shed most of Sunday as it was the coolest place i could find. Its well insulated and is a bit cooler in the summer as it's in the shadow of several large trees. Mrs fatfingers was laid out in it like a lizard on a flat rock most of the day! 🥵

Regards,

Steve

• Like 3

Not quite so hot in Scotland but it's still been too hot by mid afternoon in a south west facing room to do anything useful.

I have been waking very early this last week (probably because the windows are open allowing all the light and noise in) and have found that 4am modelling can be quite productive. I don't fire up the compressor at that time so have found myself pottering with some kits from the shelf of doom and have progressed a couple of long stalled projects (2012-16!!) along a bit. Once SWIMBO is up and about I then get on with painting my latest build before reverting to pottering around again in the afternoon.

It's quite a bit cooler today so I'll be getting dragged out to do Garden DIY (heaven help me!) if it doesn't rain, anyone know a good rain dance?

Duncan B

• Like 1

I left the Velux Window in the roof open yesterday evening and overnight the room cooled nicely: I think it will stay cool until the sun is on the back of the house, about 3pm. 

So I have managed to make progress with the Spitfire floatplane... photos on the build thread tomorrow, I hope! 

It is "only" 24C today, with a breeze:quite nice out of the sun, but next Monday/Tuesday may be different as we are promised 35C. 

Can I sit in the car and build a model? Sadly, I don't think so. 

• Like 2

I've worked out a routine for the hot weather that keeps the flat comfortably cool most of the time and allows modelmaking to continue.

1. Windows open wide all night but all closed tight when I get up around six.
  2. Curtains (+extra blackout curtain on the sunward side) tight shut all day.
  3. Fan if required, and in extremis, playing over damp washing or towels on the clothes airer.
  4. Regular cool showers for me and the dog and natural drying.
  5. Cold food, no washing machine or hoover use. In fact no unnecessary use of electricity

Numbers 1 and 2 are the most effective. If you can keep the solar gain low and exclude the sun-heated air, you're winning. And no, the flat doesn't get stuffy, to my surprise.

36 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

It's quite a bit cooler today so I'll be getting dragged out to do Garden DIY (heaven help me!) if it doesn't rain, anyone know a good rain dance?

I've put my laundry out Duncan, that ought to do it :) 

Cheers, 

Stew

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

In all of your cases,is any kind of a/c an option,either window unit,portable with the vent,or even a mini split system.I mean if you definitely cannot afford a unit or the cost to operate,I understand.

For me a/c in my car and house is a must,I will give up many other things before I ever have to turn the a/c off because of cost.

That being said my space is in an unfinished basement,the house is on a reverse slope,so only part of basement is underground.I insulated the walls and in a hot southern USA summer I only run a dehumider and it gets no higher then 75 with a 45% humidity.

• Like 1

If you have a small electric fan that can be adjusted to point straight up, put it in the corner of the the room. It will blow the denser, cooler air upward, displacing the warmer air and circulating it continuously. It doesn't cool the entire room much, but the slightly cooler, moving air will feel a lot less stuffy and hot. The only disadvantage is the initial burst of dust (and cat hair, here).

• Haha 2

Went up to my hobby room and with the humidity I didn't even think about modelling. I thought I'd play some guitar but the bodies are sticking to my bare torso and my hand is sticking to the back of the necks.

Just unpleasant all round.

• Sad 2

Has anyone else been having trouble with their CA clogging up?  I have mine on my desk all the time with the cap off.  It takes a couple of years to actually dry out enough to make it unusable, so I leave the cap off so it doesn't glue itself on.  Anyway, on the VERY hot days I was having to drill jellified and hardened glue out of the nozzle several times a day.  Quite annoying and not something I suffer from for the rest of the year :hmmm:

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Mike said:

Has anyone else been having trouble with their CA clogging up?  I have mine on my desk all the time with the cap off.  It takes a couple of years to actually dry out enough to make it unusable, so I leave the cap off so it doesn't glue itself on.  Anyway, on the VERY hot days I was having to drill jellified and hardened glue out of the nozzle several times a day.  Quite annoying and not something I suffer from for the rest of the year :hmmm:

Keep superglue in the fridge, it lasts longer.

It may be best to discuss this with SWMBO first though.....

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Bigdave22014 said:

Keep superglue in the fridge, it lasts longer.

It may be best to discuss this with SWMBO first though.....

My new bottle is sitting in the fridge waiting to take over duty, but I need my "working bottle" handy, so it stays out.  My SO really doesn't have an opinion on me keeping a little bottle of CA in the fridge ;)

• Like 1