South Pelaw Junction

As well as modelling 1/200 scale warships, I'm part of a group who have build an EM Gauge layout of a real location, South Pelaw Junction on the Tyne Dock to Consett railway in County Durham.  The layout is an exhibition layout and measures 38' * 16'.  The model is set in the late 1950s, early 1960s.

For anyone interested in such things, here are a couple of videos of the layout:

• Like 13

Fantastic work. I'm a real sucker for grubby 9Fs! If I was ever to get back into railway modelling, EM gauge might be the way to go; it's so much more convincing than OO. Is the track hand-built or can you actually buy it these days? (I've been out of the game for very long time) 

• Thanks 1

The plain track is all flexi track but the turnouts are all hand built although you can buy a couple of turnouts ready to go these days and there is also a new range of kits just come to the market. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Trains aren't my thing but I like the diorama aspects of this. (I wanted to see what else you did for relaxation from micro-PE)

Cheers. I’m also building a separate layout to the one in the videos which will the same size, about 40’ * 16’ - perhaps it’s part of the reason I don’t get stuff done quickly 😁 

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Love this! Partial to grubby 9Fs and 8Fs myself. Fantastic layout with great attention to detail.

I'm also very much into the infrastructure, so would love to have a closer look at some of the building along the layout. The signal boxes look fantastic, and I like the little row of deco-ish looking houses. Are they scratch built of kits?

Steve

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, fightersweep said:

Love this! Partial to grubby 9Fs and 8Fs myself. Fantastic layout with great attention to detail.

I'm also very much into the infrastructure, so would love to have a closer look at some of the building along the layout. The signal boxes look fantastic, and I like the little row of deco-ish looking houses. Are they scratch built of kits?

Steve

All of the buildings, bridges etc. are completely scratch built based on drawings that we made from photos of the real location.  I'll dig some photos out and post them.

John

3 hours ago, fightersweep said:

would love to have a closer look at some of the building along the layout.

Here are a few closer looks at some of the buildings on the layout.  If you're in the north east, I'd be happy to invite you along to see the layout, it is permanently set up in South Shields...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

John

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 10/17/2022 at 4:35 PM, johndon said:

Here are a few closer looks at some of the buildings on the layout.  If you're in the north east, I'd be happy to invite you along to see the layout, it is permanently set up in South Shields...

Hi John! 

Really sorry! I hadn't seen that you had posted those photos for me, so apologies for the late reply. Wow! What an incredible layout. The attention to detail is second to none. Love the houses and signal boxes. I have a soft spot for signal boxes. My dad was a signalman in the 70s and early 80s. I spent a lot of weekends with him in his box as a kid and it felt like quite the adventure as things were way more relaxed then. Used to play in the 08 that was regularly stabled in a siding next to the box, and on another line, got to drive a class 302 when it picked up the branch token. Happy days!

Love the photo taken under the bridge. So realistic and evocative. I'd love to see it all in person.....but I'm down in the south west!

Cheers!

Steve

• Like 1

On 3/21/2023 at 2:34 PM, fightersweep said:

Love the photo taken under the bridge. So realistic and evocative. I'd love to see it all in person.....but I'm down in the south west!

Thanks.  Unfortunately, the closest we are likely to get to the South West is a trip to the Warley show at the NEC later this year.

John

Edited by johndon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, johndon said:

Thanks.  Unfortunately, the closest we are likely to get to the South East is a trip to the Warley show at the NEC later this year.

Warley is a trip I could do. been a few years since I was there (last time working the Ian Allan/Midland Counties stall there) so another trip this year could be on the cards.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

Warley is a trip I could do. been a few years since I was there (last time working the Ian Allan/Midland Counties stall there) so another trip this year could be on the cards.

If you do come and see the layout, give me a shout.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The signal I've been building is finished.  It is based on a real signal and, whilst it is not an exact copy due to the topography of the layout, it is pretty close...

The real thing:

spacer.png

and my version of the same...

spacer.png

spacer.png

John

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

As well the EM gauge layout I've posted about, I'm building my own version of the location but in diesel days, here are a couple of pics:

Despite the almost total lack of scenery, I thought this view under the bridge was quite effective even as it stands, I rather like the fact you can see the gradient change down the train... 4 SLW Class 24s in view with two double heading the iron ore train.

spacer.png

A view from the other end.  All the track is hand built with individual sleepers and chairs (around 5,000 chairs so far).

spacer.png

and the lever frame for the signal box (58 levers out of an eventual total of 85):

spacer.png

John

• Like 6