Using PM Sea Fury FB11 and parts from New Airfix Tempest

phat trev

Not that hot on the differences and similarities between the Hawker Tempest and Sea Fury (despite the immediatly obvious looks; fuselage, tail shape etc). Just wondering if there might be any parts in the new 1/72 Airfix Tempest that might be useful in a PM Sea Fury build, or parts I can alter to add detail?  My Airfix Tempest on opening was a not the greatest moulding on some parts and therefore I want to use it as parts as I have a replacement now anyway. 

The overall Tempest V and II wing design was re-used in the Fury and Sea Fury.

The Fury & Sea Fury had the same wing as the Tempest EXCEPT;

• On the Fury & Sea Fury, it was shortened by shortening the inner section between the wheel well bays.
  • The leading edge cooling intakes were different between the variants
  • The Sea Fury had a folding wing

The Tempest II had the same 4 bladed propeller as the early Sea Fury FB.X

That's mainly where external similarities ended.

The differences; fuselage, tail, horizontal stabilisers, propeller, undercarriage, canopy (I think).

Thanks @wellsprop   interested now in the shortened distance between the wheel bays, I hadn't noticed that, so will investigate further.

The PM cowl shape looks very simple to me but ok on builds I have seen online? Perhaps it needs more of a taper at the front or something. Annoyingly I did have a Tempest II cowl from a Matchbox kit but gave it away not to long ago.