Bandai X Wing

After the little Revell Millennium Falcon turn out so nice I want to do another Star Wars kit but struggled to find one of the Tie Advanced in UK so I pick the X Wing instead. This is the first Bandai kit I've tried but I think more will be ordered soon as the quality is probably one of the best kits I've had. Obligatory box and sprue shots,

TuvcjfU9_o.jpg

NVTjqtuT_o.jpg

eaiNCLJE_o.jpg

oZOZb2G2_o.jpg

tc9VWO2O_o.jpg

7yh4h8sI_o.jpg

Display base first

VQtTeH0t_o.jpg

Wing sections, the kit is designed to be push fit but some Tamiya extra thin was applied to a few smaller part

aOddOtWi_o.jpg

BcmGmM1c_o.jpg

Cockpit spray with Tamiya XF63

srXsRmqS_o.jpg

The kit allows for the wing to open and close.

ApJbg1sx_o.jpg

0C1kT10T_o.jpg

This is where I departed from the instructions, disassembled so I could start painting.

qoKMRUkW_o.jpg

I sprayed everything in Tamiya X32 Titanium Silver as a base coat and then did chipping patches with Maskol. Light grey is XF2, XF55 Deck tan and XF25 light sea grey. The yellow is XF3, XF4 and XF55 again. The darker grey is XF4 and Mr Colour Light Gull grey.

Eok3PlYH_o.jpg

j3JJCODw_o.jpg

uDiqf6Ra_o.jpg

hf5ST4hV_o.jpg

prgS4Fw7_o.jpg

I seem to have gone down the rabbit hole by painting the panels rather than use the decals but will be better for weathering.

• Like 9

So after a few more masking sessions I have sprayed all the necessary panels less the engine intake bands which hopefully I can do tomorrow, but suffice to so it was more involved than expected.

wuovEjaV_o.jpg

a9hte1LV_o.jpg

d6i8aQUa_o.jpg

6BSEXRls_o.jpg

Replicating the wing markings, this was the first one which took the longest. Once I'd figured out how to lay the tape the other three where done in 10 mins.

XK83QMZW_o.jpg

Test fitted the upper fuselage and wings, looks ok.

gE7UuyLs_o.jpg

ci4JY7Ek_o.jpg

nzfkAiei_o.jpg

Last parts painted are the guns and engine exhausts

YysBm18z_o.jpg

FzHUZSUv_o.jpg

Sprayed the base with Mr Colour H307 and the rather questionable "torpedo's" that Bandai supply.

egN490MP_o.jpg

NaKuCDGD_o.jpg

Once the engine bands are done its onto clear coat, powders and oils to finish off.

• Like 5

Got the bands painted before work this morning and then realised I'd missed some more on one of the wing tips so did that one this afternoon. I'll need to leave it over night before spraying the clear coat but there was nothing stopping me from putting it together at last.

I2CzBbCi_o.jpg

Dw2C2baS_o.jpg

AqmDmeNq_o.jpg

oJJTWFAE_o.jpg

The tail cap cant go on until R2 and the upper panel are in, R2 has just had some chrome applied.

ZWiXKLny_o.jpg

0TnTKlGM_o.jpg

• Like 3

Put a couple of layers of Future floor polish on first thing morning and an oil wash once it was dry.

TwK0uVfq_o.jpg

GZ5wVQFi_o.jpg

Once I'd rubbed the excess of, the guns where fitted and a flat coat and its finished.

FMIhcoPk_o.jpg

RFI below

Edited by neil5208
  • Like 10