1:32 3D Printed RAF Boeing P-8A Poseidon

On 7/14/2022 at 3:49 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

Iain my boy, you is certifiably Bonkers!

What outstanding madness - you'll be doing a 3D Connie next! :whistle:

Keep em coming.

I wondered how long it would take for someone to mention the poor Connie!

Actually, one of the catalysts to getting the first printer was a plan to draw up the nacelles, cowlings, flaps, undercarriage etc for the Connie - no further progress on that just yet - but she's not forgotten:

48b427_085adeb32093454b93bc278053a0da6a~

Iain

• Like 9

On 7/15/2022 at 10:04 AM, Fritag said:

Impressive and fascinating Iain.

The FDM printed fuselage and wings look very sturdy and also look to clean up very nicely (I guess that both qualities have at least something to do with using HIPS).  I’d be interested to know what sort of size/fidelity and other factors dictate the switch over point from the FDM to the resin printer.  Is there much of an overlap in capability?

Undoubtedly yes, but...

The FDM printed HIPS is the best for structural items - tough, strong, light and easily bonded. Plus I have a print area of 250 x 250 x 300 mm. Once primed/sanded the surfaces scribe well for any detail, with the caveat they have a grain from the print layers. Most of the fuselage skin panels on the P-8A are overlapped - so will be a case of marking out panels, masking and spraying along the edge with a filler primer.

The resin printer has the print area of a mobile phone - 134 x 75 x 130 mm - and the resins can be brittle, although more ductile ones have become available - and will continue to develop. But the resolution can be quite extraordinary. Items such as undercarriage legs will be printed hollow to allow stainless steel, or brass, reinforcement.

I wouldn't contemplate printing the structural/airframe components on something this size on a resin printer - the FDM/HIPS combination scores on every level for this - but it's pretty useless for anything that requires detail.

If you ask on printer groups 'what is the best printer for scale modelling' - 99% of the time the answer will come back 'resin printer' - either LCD or SLA - but that really misses some really worthwhile advantages of the FDM type printers IMHO.

Iain

• Like 3

The choice for the printer etc depends largely on what you want to achieve or do with it. In my case, I work mostly 1/144-1/72, so filament printers aren't for me. But if you need large structures.  Then it is more than OK..  even here seeing this I'm impressed by the filament printers result

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Silenoz said:

The choice for the printer etc depends largely on what you want to achieve or do with it. In my case, I work mostly 1/144-1/72, so filament printers aren't for me. But if you need large structures.  Then it is more than OK..  even here seeing this I'm impressed by the filament printers result

Absolutely - but there are still projects in 1:144 and 1:72 where a well set up FDM printer using HIPS filament would be a good solution IMHO.

Iain

• Like 2

Here's the basis of a smaller airframe - albeit still 1:32:

48b427_008701c9110d4ba2bff156eca0b77816~

48b427_551f94ac53b248fa936c4ecb7d5e1182~

48b427_e6082acc01be448181d3ac62a5c2e3ae~

This was another 'test print' on the journey, whilst I was fine tuning my printer settings for the HIPS filament - apologies for the Kermit green - but when the filament is on special offer you can't be too choosy - and it all gets primered anyway!  :)

The control surfaces were removed from the .stl files so they could be printed separately on the 4k resin printer - again, playing to the strengths of each printer type and medium.

Iain

• Like 10

I'm liking this build very much, although I'll never use a 3D printer myself. I do like the Piaggio, the SAAF used them for maritime patrol for a number of years and I think we still have a couple flying in civilian hands.

Colin

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hi James,

Base 3D model at 1:100 was done by 'sandman_d' and was available on Cults - but it's not currently listed I'm afraid:

https://cults3d.com/en/users/sandman_d/creations

Might be worth dropping him a line if you're interested?

Iain

Don't know how I've missed this.... WOW! 

That P-8 is phenomenal, what an incredible piece of work.

Eng

Don't know how I've missed this.... WOW! 

That P-8 is phenomenal, what an incredible piece of work.

Eng