Ark Models 1/48 Lavhockin La-9 ZK-LIX

Hi all,

I thoroughly enjoyed this kit, but I may have viewed it through rose-tined/type-fanboy glasses. I did extra work in the cockpit (the supplied Quinta 3D decals helped) and wheel wells as shown in the WIP:

The subject for this model is one restored to fly for Ray Hanna in New Zealand in the early 2000s and is currently based with Jerry Yagen at his Military Aviation Museum in Virginia Beach, USA, sadly not having flown since her departure from NZ 12yr ago. This aircraft was registered ZK-LIX in New Zealand and flew for a season or two in the UK as G-BWUD - anyone who saw it could not fail to be impressed by its presence and performance. What a beast of a machine!

Ark Models 1/48 Lavochkin La-9 ZK-LIX Ark Models 1/48 Lavochkin La-9 ZK-LIX Ark Models 1/48 Lavochkin La-9 ZK-LIX Ark Models 1/48 Lavochkin La-9 ZK-LIX

And as a bonus here's my (very) amateur video of ZK-LIX performing at Warbirds Over Wanaka 2004:

and 2006:

• Like 24

13 hours ago, k5054nz said:

Ray Hanna in New Zealand in the early 2000s and is currently based with Jerry Yagen at his Military Aviation Museum in Virginia Beach, USA, sadly not having flown since her departure from NZ 12yr ago. This aircraft was registered ZK-LIX in New Zealand and flew for a season or two in the UK as G-BWUD - anyone who saw it could not fail to be impressed by its presence and performance. What a beast of a machine!

I have a aviation mag (Flypast? it was a freebie from someone)  that Ray Hanna thought the La-9 was better than Sea Fury and Bearcat! 

Neat model :goodjob:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

I have a aviation mag (Flypast? it was a freebie from someone)  that Ray Hanna thought the La-9 was better than Sea Fury and Bearcat! 

I’ve heard that story too! Ray thought very highly of it - I’m sad I never got to see him fly her but John Lamont did a tremendous job!

Thank you, Giampiero!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, k5054nz said:

John Lamont did a tremendous job!

As he does with everything he flies. :) I really enjoy Johns display work.

The La-9 looks brilliant Zac, nice job, wish that someone would do one in 1/72, not so likely in the current situation. 

Steve.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, stevehnz said:

As he does with everything he flies. :) I really enjoy Johns display work.

The La-9 looks brilliant Zac, nice job, wish that someone would do one in 1/72, not so likely in the current situation. 

Steve.

Thanks Steve! After the 2004 Wanaka show I badgered Dad to find one for me. Modelcrafts and Hobbies managed to track one and import it, I built it immediately and still have it to this day!

1/72 and 1/48 La-9s

• Like 1

Never saw the kit but I definitely remember  the display by the late great Ray Hanna at one of the Shoreham airshows over here in UK. Super sound and sight!!!

Nice build by the way

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Paul! I envy you the opportunity to see Ray fly her - he rated the La-9 very highly and I think he had a lot of fun!

On 7/14/2022 at 8:24 PM, stevehnz said:

You must have been a very persuasive young man Zac, which kit was that. The reviews I can find, I didn't realise there were any, are not encouraging. :(

Steve.

We did a family tour of the lower South Island in the week after WOW04, stopping at EVERY hobby shop we found! I remember re-watching the video I'd taken on the camcorder's tiny screen: I was obsessed!

I believe it was the Gran kit. The fact a 16/17yo was able to build it should show you it's worth looking at 😉

• Like 2