Humbrol Workstation business plan 1.0

Casey

Step 1: Introduce new product. Make sure it does not fit your old product to create a problem

p?i=7db0bfd2a39cbc2d2638924eaf7ace12

Step 2: Sell dongles!

p?i=0f2b93586055c4f2a291eaddae446932

Step 3: Profit?

I mean, it works for at least one company out there and brings them milions, right? Right?

Or alternatively just sell the updated version of the old product for everyone to replace! That should promote the new product properly.

... wait a second...

p?i=d21e765e27c1ca59cdbb51bc6b145646

Here. Done.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Are they promoting the Gold paint range? That would be a very good thing!

No but that does sound like a good idea to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Golden paint range

The Golden gold paint range I have is relatively small, I admit...

p?i=1bee56bd044f6959627464a1e7d5c411

Edited by Casey

16 minutes ago, Casey said:

I'd say they are golden!

I would agree.

Add to that Golden High Flow and SoFlat acrylics. And Liquitex Acrylic inks and soft body acrylics ( plus all of the various mediums from both brands ).

Their ranges may not be extensive as Vallejo or AK but with a select handful and a working knowledge of color theory you can create any color you desire.

But we are getting away from the Humbrol work station core of this discussion.  This sort of organizer may work for some but I find them too constraining but then I have a large workbench with stuff strewn all over and not a smallish corner desk to work on.

cheers, Graham

2 minutes ago, ColonelKrypton said:

Their ranges may not be extensive as Vallejo or AK but with a select handful and a working knowledge of color theory you can create any color you desire.

This may have started as a joke thread but still, I was surprised to learn how many modellers are reluctant to try an art (or science) of color mixing.

• Like 1

I’ve managed to resist the desktop organisation systems. They aren’t flexible enough for me and I enjoy making my own from empty kit boxes. 

7 hours ago, ColonelKrypton said:

I would agree.

Add to that Golden High Flow and SoFlat acrylics. And Liquitex Acrylic inks and soft body acrylics ( plus all of the various mediums from both brands ).

But we are getting away from the Humbrol work station core of this discussion.  This sort of organizer may work for some but I find them too constraining but then I have a large workbench with stuff strewn all over and not a smallish corner desk to work on.

cheers, Graham

I think we are encouraged to be passive users of pre mixed paints via our collecting mania. We love to get the set, don’t we?

54 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

our collecting mania

I have a couple of hundreds of paints... what is the threshold between collecting and mania again?

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Casey said:

It solves to infinity for me...

Infinity plus one for me 😉

spacer.png

I have heard these Humbrol bases mocked before as not being for 'proper' modellers, but I have used mine for two years (although rarely cleaned it) and find it quite useful for keeping some stuff more easily to hand, holding instructions as well as being more comfortable as it lifts the modelling surface higher on my table.

Since I mostly use Vallejo and AK 3G paints, none of them fit anyway!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tim R-T-C said:

Vallejo and AK 3G paints, none of them fit anyway

Try the 3D printed dongles for just the 3x price of the board for materials and time!

And your board seen a lot of love...

47 minutes ago, Casey said:

I have a couple of hundreds of paints... what is the threshold between collecting and mania again?

Collecting isn't quite the same as mania but it's definitely some form of neurosis, in my opinion.

I'd say it's a compulsion. It seems to be a need to complete the infinite set, finish the impossible task, a case of trying hard but always failing, which can lead to lots of negative feelings OR can harmlessly discharge negative stuff.

We joke about it here but I bet we all know of someone who has suffered relationship or financial damage when the compulsion became more than just a minor eccentricity.

Model making and model makers fascinate me because the hobby always reveals the modeller. The models we make and the way we make them, are models of our personalities just as much as they are of aircraft, boats etc. 

Oh sorry, this was a jokey thread, wasn't it? 😁

1 hour ago, Dave Swindell said:

{Mania = Items in stock + items on order + items on wishlist + 1

Surely it should be

Mania =(items in stock + items on order + items on wishlist + 1) / items actually required

Cheers

Colin

Edited by ckw
correction
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

this was a jokey thread, wasn't it?

We are all professional thread derailers here... no worry.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Casey said:

A bit like the buffet at a wake,one of each is neither disrespectful nor greedy.Mania only starts with multiples of one colour and no perceived use for them.Obsession is multiples of all colours with no regard to a future use or not.

I'm now eyeing suspiciously my 300+ paint store and wondering which one will be the next one found to have dried out just when I want it...

4 minutes ago, Alex Gordon said:

wondering which one will be the next one found to have dried out just when I want it...

EEEK! Time to buy a new range before it's too late! 

I have far too many to mention but I can give them up any time, I just don't want to...

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Alex Gordon said:

Mania only starts with multiples of one colour and no perceived use for them.Obsession is multiples of all colours with no regard to a future use or not.

Great. I scored both.

Ok, I collect them to create a comprehensive database of colors provided by vendors, with multiples of each color to make average measurements. Yes, that's my excuse.

And for everyday fun I am using Golden acrylics. Those I have multiples. Of all colors. Because I use them. Yeah that's the reason.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Alex Gordon said:

A bit like the buffet at a wake,one of each is neither disrespectful nor greedy.Mania only starts with multiples of one colour and no perceived use for them.Obsession is multiples of all colours with no regard to a future use or not.

I'm now eyeing suspiciously my 300+ paint store and wondering which one will be the next one found to have dried out just when I want it...

300? My paint stash is just short of 2000. I don’t mind admitting I can be a bit obsessive at times. I guess there’s stranger things to collect than model paints. Possibly. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I used to have six of the Very old Humbrol stacking system for their tinlets. They were great, no chance of spillage, easy to store etc. Until they changed the size of the tinlet. Then they donj't fit any longer.

Solution, just buy some 3/4  inch thick mdf, a selection of drill bits and/or router bits and make your own. Could then fit Humbrol, Vallejo, Tamiya etc. etc.

Mixing your own colours is indeen an art, But, it's worth a try. The only downside is that YOUR impression of a particular colour/shade/etc. will never be the same as ANYONE elses. That leads to disagreements and all round bad feeling. Much better to use whomever's latest paint pot and them blame them when the "experts" start on about it being wrong.

Regards

Pete

• Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 8:28 AM, Casey said:

And still you can not have the right shade according to FS. ..             Bum

Edited by jenko

4 minutes ago, jenko said:

And still you can not have the right shade according to FS. ..             Bum

Why do you think I even did all the math excercise *AND* obtained official FS paint samples?

I have all FS paint recipes replicated now.