1/72 MG 520

Base kit is the OOP AZ models MD 500 E

The build was a shelf queen which I started around 2010 and was stored and forgotten until I got an interest in the subject recently. The goal is to do the Philippine Air force MG 520. All reference for the build and conversion was via my fellow modellers in the Philippines which I constantly get in touch.

All the conversion is scratch build as their are no existing aftermarket and specific kit exactly as the version I'm doing. 

The cockpit have to be scratch built as the base kit is totally different and lacks details. You can see here that the only structure left of the cockpit is the floor and rear bulkhead including the shaft cover. The seats are all scratch built including the rear control for the Fn Herstal gun pod and LAU rocket launcher. Seat belts are made from tape. The extra canopy brace on the side from the original AZ MD 500E was removed to make it to the 520 I'm doing.

WUj1REL.jpg

oRffkk8.jpg

LcllBjy.jpg

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Ventsislav Gramatski said:

Great start and fantastic job on the interior!

How do you plan to paint it?

Thanks Ventsislav, I have painted the initial camo via airbrush and intricate masking. I will post it as I go along here. Have to start from the beginning to show the WIPs and how it unfolds. Stay tune as I will upload in sections. Do you also have this kit?

16 hours ago, Heart Failure said:

Thanks Ventsislav, I have painted the initial camo via airbrush and intricate masking. I will post it as I go along here. Have to start from the beginning to show the WIPs and how it unfolds. Stay tune as I will upload in sections. Do you also have this kit?

Great work on the painted interior!

I don't have the model, in fact, I'm not familiar with the actual helo but that photo with the fuselage on the Tamiya pain jar is definitely eye catching - that kit is so small!

Looking forward to seeing a complete build, good luck!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ventsislav Gramatski said:

Great work on the painted interior!

I don't have the model, in fact, I'm not familiar with the actual helo but that photo with the fuselage on the Tamiya pain jar is definitely eye catching - that kit is so small!

Looking forward to seeing a complete build, good luck!

Thanks! Yes indeed its so small but a good base to start the conversion.

Here is the cockpit installed inside the fuselage. Front canopy dry fitted but needs a lot of sanding to make a good fit. Tail installed and so as the landing ski. This is how small the whole helicopter.

DE8h14T.jpg

• Like 1