Alconbury Aggressor.

Nice job Craig. Very nice painting of the pit and great camo paintwork.

I saw a F5E in aggressor colours only once, at Ramstein Flugtag 1979 I think.

Β 

This kit seems good. Should it be the " best"(*) F5E kit to go for in 1/48? (never built a F5 except for Matchbox F5A)

(*) meaning reasonably accurate and not a pain to put subassemblies together.

Β 

Β 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, PattheCat said:

Nice job Craig. Very nice painting of the pit and great camo paintwork.

I saw a F5E in aggressor colours only once, at Ramstein Flugtag 1979 I think.

Β 

This kit seems good. Should it be the " best"(*) F5E kit to go for in 1/48? (never built a F5 except for Matchbox F5A)

(*) meaning reasonably accurate and not a pain to put subassemblies together.

Β 

Β 

Thanks Pat, good to hear from you my friend and very glad that you like my Tiger so far.

This is definitely the best F-5E in 1/48, nice details and goes together very well with a little bit of cleaning up.

I only got to Ramstein once, in 1988 and the least said about that day the better.

Β 

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦

• Sad 2

Craig I hope that you do not mind, but I have been following your build with interest and have added a couple of photos of mine of some F-5Es from Alconbury in the scheme that you are doing. The first one is from the RAF Wyton Open Day of 1982, whilst the other one is from a gate on the other side of Alconbury from either the same year or a year or two later. Notice in the first one that the aircraft has a replacement rudder that is not fully painted yet.

Β 

iplJkTQ.jpg

Β 

mhjlt8T.jpg

Β 

Β 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Jabba said:

I hope that you do not mind

I don't mind at all mate, in fact I really appreciate it. I like your pictures as they help to show the differences in the same airframe at differing times of it's career as your pictures show it with black centred bort numbers, full coloured national markings and no fin cap. I really like the pic with the replacement rudder, that would make for an interesting model.

Β 

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦

22 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Β I really like the pic with the replacement rudder, that would make for an interesting model.s and no fin cap.

Β 

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦

I know someone who did, but I have never taken photos of it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bo hermansen said:

Are the green 34258 or 34227 ?

That is a good question. Actually both colours have been used by the Israelis and the USAF Aggressors, during different periods.

Β 

Having said that, and if my memory serves me well, they (USAF Aggressors) first used the 34227 and then, the 34258.

Β 

Just my two cents.

Β 

Cheers,

Bill

Edited by Shalako

6 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

In that case, I hope you stay well away from the proper scale, sir!

Good job I don't build jet engines then, oh wait, yes I do!

Β 

6 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

She's looking very cool in that scheme, Craig.Β 

Β 

19 minutes ago, John Ballman said:

Super job, thanks for sharing your work,

JB

Thanks guys, hopefully be able to get a progress picture or two up later.

Β 

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry for the lack of promised updates but I made the decision to crack on with the final bits (always takes longer than I think) and I have got her finished, no pictures today as the light has faded too much so hopefully get some pictures taken tomorrow or the next day.

Β 

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦

• Like 3

2 hours ago, coneheadff said:

Can't await to see it πŸ˜ƒ

Your wish is my command Alex!

Β 

The finishing touches were quite straight forward but as is usual with me took me a lot longer than I anticipated, nothing to do with any problems with either the kit or decals more to do with the mojo of the builder which was affected by the heat we had which brought about a resurgence of symptoms from my long covid and all the joy that they bring with them.

Β 

The Two Bobs decals really did work very nicely indeed and settled down nicely onto a gloss coat, the only decals which felt a bit thick to me were the bort numbers but they did settle down. Once they were sorted I gave the whole airframe a smothering in Flory Wash' "dark dirt", now this was the first time I have used this product but it won't be the last as it gives great results and is so easy to use, simply brush it all over then leave it to dry (you can leave it for days if you want to) and then wipe the excess off with a dry cloth and it leaves the wash in the recessedΒ  details, brilliant! When I had done that I gave the model a coat of matt varnish and then set about getting the last bits fitted such as the landing gear and the canopy.

Β 

I did notice a couple of omissions from the decal sheet/instructions though. Having found pictures of the aircraft I am building in the correct time frame for the markings I noticed that there should be a red star on the main door for the nose gear, this is not mentioned or provided by Two Bobs so I had to have a rummage through the decal stash to see if I could find something suitable, it took a while but I found a small white bordered red start on a sheet for A-4's so I carefully removed the white border and added it, you can see it in the picture below;

spacer.png

Β 

You can probably see that I have used the longer extended nose gear, this may not be 100% accurate for a parked aircraft but its how I wanted my model to sit. The other omission from the sheet instructions is that there should be a yellow panel on the port side of the aircraft just below and behind the cockpit so I simply painted it yellow on the model, you can see it next to the ladder in this picture;

spacer.png

Β 

Here are a couple more pics of her, I shall add some to the gallery too;

Β 

spacer.png

Β 

spacer.png

Β 

spacer.png

Β 

And finally one of her on a display base complete with a shoulder patch for the 527th AS which I bought from them at an air show in the late 80's;

Β 

spacer.png

Β 

So all that remains is to thank Robert for having organised this GB from the start (great work mateπŸ‘) and also to thank all of you who have dropped in on my progress throughout what has been a very enjoyable and stress free build, and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Β 

Craig.

Β 

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1