Alconbury Aggressor.

23 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Having the canopy open, Craig?  OK.
Always worries me when I see those big canopies open on an unattended aircraft, but then these are quite robust.

Yes mate I am going to have the canopy open, lots of pics of them parked up with the lids up and as you say the mechanism on an F-5 is quite robust.

🇺🇦

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Craig 

Very good start on the cockpit ..

Have fun with the rest of your build ..

Best Regards

Patrice 

Thank you Patrice, that is very much appreciated, and yes I will try my best to have fun with the rest of the model.👍

🇺🇦

• Like 1

Great thread as always bud, looks even better in the “plastic” too👍. Sorry I haven’t got an F-5 yet ( just the decals)…but payday isn’t far away so I can join the bun fight shortly😉

Si 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Covjets13 said:

Great thread as always bud, looks even better in the “plastic” too👍. Sorry I haven’t got an F-5 yet ( just the decals)…but payday isn’t far away so I can join the bun fight shortly😉

Si 

Thanks mate, much appreciated as always.👍

There's plenty of time left for you to get hold of a kit and join in the fun, good that you already have the decals though, forward thinking.😉

🇺🇦

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Coming along nicely Craig, I'm impressed like heck with your seam filling, you make them look like a molded in part, masterful stuff. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve, I really appreciate that mate, though I think its more down to the good kit than anything I have done.

🇺🇦

• Like 1

Another long overdue update, had a few rough days where I didn't feel like doing anything.

Anyway the assembly is pretty much done and the front canopy has been fitted in place with the main canopy tacked in place for the painting process and the metallic section at the rear had been painted and masked.

With all that done it was time for some primer, and this is how she looks now;

spacer.png

spacer.png

This needs to be given a polish to smooth it out and then I can make a start on the painting proper.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

🇺🇦

• Like 18

39 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

Looking good mate!

Thanks mate, to be fair the kit makes it easy doesn't it.

26 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Nice progress, Craig.
Think the elevator twist is another idea I'll steal from you.

Thanks Robert.

Having the elevator and slats slightly drooped is a feature of parked F-5E/F's and it adds a little bit of interest t the wing area.

🇺🇦

• Like 1

A little warning for anyone else planning on building an Alconbury aggressor using one of the Two Bobs sheets. These aircraft looked quite different at different times during their service and this is not mentioned on the sheet, for instance the one I am building (74-1553) carried different camo schemes and had great variations in the markings applied, both the national markings and those specific to the airframe ie, full colour markings with solid black lettering and black centred bort number or low vis markings with outline only black lettering and red centred bort number as she is depicted on the sheet. However to build her accurately from this time period you need to add the "plate" on the top of the tail fin which was fitted to F-5E's after a few years of service, this is not mentioned or catered for in the kit and isn't mentioned on the decal sheet instructions either. Its not a massive problem but if you want an accurate model it is something you need to be aware of. To fix this I have made a "plate" from some thin plastic cut and then sanded to shape, to make clear what I am talking about here is a pic of the tail with the "plate" fitted on top;

spacer.png

Hopefully I will get the first of the camo aolours on her today.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

🇺🇦

• Like 11

On 7/11/2022 at 2:08 PM, lasermonkey said:

I hate to admit to still being a trifle miffed that Two Bobs never came through on their 1/72 Alconbury sheets, even though they said they would, even if there isn’t a great kit in the scale. 

The nice thing is that F-5s are small enough that you may as well go for 48th!  Of course, having said that, I've completed (I still remember what that means) F-20s in 1/100 (I think it was) and 1/72.

1 hour ago, gingerbob said:

The nice thing is that F-5s are small enough that you may as well go for 48th!  Of course, having said that, I've completed (I still remember what that means) F-20s in 1/100 (I think it was) and 1/72.

I think I'd rather die than buy a 1/48 kit.

I am prone to exaggeration.

• Haha 2