Two 1/72 NF-5B's Royal Netherlands Air Force

Arie Vos

I'll be building 2 NF-5B's from 314 squadron Royal Netherlands Air Force.

One will be the original ESCI kit and the other one the Italeri re-issue.

Link to the Italeri F-5B:  https://www.scalemates.com/nl/kits/italeri-1275-f-5b-freedom-fighter--105831

One NF-5B will be K-4021 in the grey/green scheme. Underside will be RAL 7001; top colors will be RAL 6014 and RAL 7012.

The second one will be K-4018 in the F-16 scheme. Underside will be FS36375; top colors will be FS 36118 and FS 36270.

Decals will be Dutch Decal and I'll be using the Wolfpack-D F-5A/B update set. Drop tanks for K-4021 will come from AK3D and paint masks from LF Models ( https://www.scalemates.com/nl/kits/lf-models-m72105-northrop-nf-5a-freedom-fighter-rnlaf--1408872 )

These paint masks are for an NF-5A and with some slight modifications on the nose can also be used for an NF-5B.

• Like 7

Depending on the era and aircraft different colour systems were used. Post-war till the arrival of the F-104G Starfighter mostly BS standard and own colour coding was used. From early '60's till the arrival of the F-16 mainly RAL-codes (sometimes translated to own codes)  were used and from the F-16 onwards FS-paint system was used.

The Dutch Army is (still) using RAL colours; with some exceptions like the Bushmaster-vehicles for which AUSCAM-colours are used.

All can be found in the book: "Camouflage en kentekens op vliegtuigen van de Nederlandse strijdkrachten"

• Thanks 1

With my F-5B’s I started at the very beginning. 

spacer.png

From IPMS Austria I have the update set for the cockpit. Based on that I ceated the side panels from plastic card and plastic rod. 

spacer.png

As I want to use the Wolfpack-D set for the interior I had to slightly adjust the instrument panel. Added some plastic card to the upper part. 

spacer.png

Wolfpack-D parts in their place. 

spacer.png

Also adjusted the rear part of the cockpit. Need to detail this a bit more. 

Next up some more details and painting. 

• Like 14

Few more details added to the cockpit. Bit more details on the rear part and a wall between the front and rear part of the cockpit.

spacer.png

The white part on the instrument panel will represent the roller-map. This was a typical feature of the Dutch NF-5A/B.

spacer.png

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Not the biggest update. Openend up the intakes and the part of the fuselage.

Will insert a piece of straw to simulate the air intake. Still a bit of sanding needed to smoothen it out.

(The silver colored plastic is ESCI and the grey one is Italeri)

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

Very nice work there, I couldn't find any cockpit upgrades for my CF116, but the canopy will be closed anyway. 

Fuselage glued together, wings attached and sanded. 

spacer.png

Seems that my ESCI kit (the silver plastic one) is also warped. Needed some bending, twisting and tape to get it straight. 
The Italeri one, in grey plasic, had no issue at all. 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to put the fuselage together, wings on and sanding. Wing tip tanks on. Landing gear installed and replaced the small air intakes on top and bottom of the fuselage by Quickboost ones.

Pitot tus is a metal one from Master Model.

spacer.png

Also replaced the AOA-indicator with a metal one from Master Model.

spacer.png

One of the typical features of the NF-5 is the changed slat. One needs to add a small bit at the end and remove this bit from the wing.

spacer.png

• Like 8