Best option for an accurate 1/48 La-11

28ZComeback

Hello all, 

I have the Ark 1/48 La-11, and admire it for its shape and fidelity of detail;  however I am doing a La-11 in honor of an aviation historian (and friend) who passed away a year ago. I want the kit to be as close to museum as possible (within my limited skill set). So the heavy lines on the Ark kit  distract me. Between Scale Bureau;. Mikromir (with resin upgrades); the Ark kit and the HobbyBoss kit, which way should I go?  I think Micromir looks very accurate but have not measured it. Thank you all, 

Edited by 28ZComeback

BTW, unfortunately, the La-11 was too late to take part in WW2, this is a cold war specie... So perhaps more experts reads cold war section. 

Regards

J-W

Not only the La-11, even its direct predecessor, the La-9 (differing only in minor details of the cooling system and armament), was not tested - even in the prototype form - before the VJ Day.

Therefore, these last Lavochkin piston-engined fighters were also the last production piston-engined fighters in the world.

Spiteful, Sea Fury, Bearcat, Tigercat, Hornet and Twin Mustang were ahead of them by several months.

Cheers

Michael

5 hours ago, 28ZComeback said:

I think Micromir looks very accurate but have not measured it.

Based on the Scale Bureau kit (without permission) IIRC.  As is the Ark kit. 

5 hours ago, 28ZComeback said:

within my limited skill set

Then the Mikromir is not for you.  It's all a bit vague in positioning,  the resin all came out before the Ark kit. 

I do know that the plastic wheel well or kit wing roots both need a massive amount of thinning to get anywhere,  and it's classic short run moulding.  No real location marks for the cockpit. I got bored doing the preparation and it awaits a return of enthusiasm... 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234976991-mikro-mirs-new-la-11-148th-scale-in-box-review/#elControls_1905213_menu

"One of the chaps at hyper scale reported a serious fit issue withthe wheel bay insert fouling the wind to fuselage join. So yesterday I thought I'd see - and he was spot on correct: It doesn't fit, full stop.

After 2 hours of non stop cutting, sanding, filing, pairing, more cutting, more sanding etc, I got it to fit, but BE WARNED - if you have this model or intend to buy it - tackle this area first.

Basically you'll need to reduce the height on the wheel well insert, thin down the plastic on the top so it's wafer thin, then thin down the plastic on the underside of the fuselage wing root flanges, and then remove a lot of plastic from the inside of the lower fuselage halves: Then it will fit!! Just!!"

This is not a joke.  it's a lot of work.

re the Ark kit

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235066815-148-lavochkin-la-9-fritz-la-11-fang-by-ark-models-la-9-la-11-released/page/3/#elControls_3822703_menu

"The Scale Bureau mathematical model (as it is written in the original - note from me 

) was used, which was reworked for high pressure injection molding.  All errors and inaccuracies were corrected.  Which are still present on the so-called cut-star analogue*, which is, in fact, a (not) cheap replica of the resin model ( Scale Bureau  - note from me)

, reworked by "cunninghand"
(as it is written in the original - note from me )
 craftsmen for low pressure casting."

From this message it follows that all La-9/11 models are based on the same mathematical model first implemented in a resin kit from Scale Bureau La-9/11, which was then "creatively" (according to the author of the cited post) copied with all errors in  short-run model from MicroMir, but in ArkModels all errors in the original mathematical model have been corrected.

You posted in the linked thread.   

The Hobby Boss most likely will build well,  but is based on whatever drawings HB could find online, which was also discussed here extensively. (even though they have them in museums..) 

From re-reading the linked thread, bets bet is to start with the Ark kit, and see how much the panel lines annoy you.  may well be a case that Mr Surfacer in them and some sanding will reduce them quite easily. 

HTH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I built the Ark 1/48 La-9 and thoroughly enjoyed it, but I may have viewed it through rose-tined/fanboy glasses. I did extra work in the cockpit (the supplied Quinta 3D decals helped) and wheel wells and the panels/lines won't be to everyone's liking. I expect the La-9 to be of similar quality:

• Like 2