F-5E Tiger II - Patrouille Suisse **Completed**

Courageous

On 7/27/2022 at 5:23 PM, Robert Stuart said:

And like it that your dude has his hand on the stick.

Actually, his one hand is on the stick and the other on the ejection handle and he is looking at 12. Probably he saw Tom Cruise coming and said, "oh no! not this guy again!!!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Shalako said:

Actually, his one hand is on the stick and the other on the ejection handle and he is looking at 12. Probably he saw Tom Cruise coming and said, "oh no! not this guy again!!!"

Nah, just giving the public a cracking show ;)

• Haha 2

Think we're nearly there...

20220731-114654.jpg

Topside view. Kit cannons replaced with tubing. Canopy masked. Nav lights added. Exhausts and other bits added at rear. All raised panel lines gone. Spinal vane will be added at end. Surprisingly the pitot has survived.

20220731-114836.jpg

Bottom view. All doors fitted. Air brakes fitted closed. Wing pylon holes filled. Raised panel lines gone. Centre pylon and landing hook will be added at end.

Will need a layer on interior colour over canopy before priming.

Stuart

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

You'd be right but it's the red I'm worrying about, it's got to match the red in the decal...

Stuart

With you there, I'll have a similar problem with my Red & White Canadian F-5A.

• Like 1

Little update...

20220803-144041.jpg

The 5E was primed with AK 3rdGen acrylic grey, fixed a few blemishes and primed again. Decided to go with Humbrol white enamel as the base for the red and the overall white. The masking took a little time to work and I'm still not 100% that the red/white demarcation is in the right place but we'll see. The instructions call for a Model Master 1503 red, the equivalent was Revell 31/330, so I went with the Revell 330 option and misted the first coat on, followed by a second. Removing the masking found the odd seepage of red and was got rid of and now sits to go harder before masking the hot rear end.

Stuart

• Like 10

Agree with Craig, this does look smart.

Seepage is a problem with masking.
For the future, something you could do is apply the main colour coat, mask, and re-apply the main colour along the edge of the mask before applying the contrasting colour.
The means the seepage is the same colour as the underlaying paint.

The downside, is a thicker paint layer.

• Like 2

Decal time...

20220805-180023.jpg

Most of the underside decaling is but...Euston, we have a problem.

20220805-180033.jpg

The underside decals were designed for a model with all its doors open and not like mine, with doors shut. If we assume that the decals fitted the doors with no problems, then somebody forgot about the space between the undercarriage door and the air brake door...'cos it's not there. I have used spare white decal to fill the gap but I've got to try and do a little bit of 'pink dot' blending in one area...somethings are never straight forward :wall:. What surprised me first about these decals is the amount of time they took to release themselves from the backing paper, soaked for 30+ seconds, then let them sit in a puddle for eternity :waiting:.

Stuart

• Like 7

Tricky ...... Ish. 

Given your undoubted skill at upper side masking, perhpaps you could have masked all for paint here too? OK, it may involve you mixing various shades of pink, but I'm sure you could have gotten over that........ with more Belgian beer perhpaps?

Terry

• Haha 1

The decals that have gone on the underside look very good.

Its a real pain that they have missed the area between the air brake and the undercarriage door but I am sure that a few well placed dots of pink/red will solve that problem nicely. maybe from a fine felt tip?

🇺🇦

• Like 1

Masking, yes, but, rather than mix a pink, make a thin, transparent red.
Spray that from the rear side of that panel, and rely on the spread to thin the intensity.

Many thin layers rather than a mix will give you more control.

• Like 2

• Courageous changed the title to F5E Tiger II - Patrouille Suisse **Completed**
  • Courageous changed the title to F-5E Tiger II - Patrouille Suisse **Completed**
3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

she looks fantastic.

4 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

An absolute beauty!

Cheers guys, much appreciated. No more F-5's or derivatives in stash, so I'm off to the Canadian GB.

Stuart 

• Like 2

That's a very nice result, Stuart, well done :)

I'm liking that you're finishing the F-5 GB and heading over to the Canadian one, I'm trying to finish my Canadian build to get more time on my F-5

James

• Like 1