F-5E Tiger II - Patrouille Suisse **Completed**

Courageous

Good to see you building a jet Stuart and a great choice of F-5.

I suppose I could join this GB as I have a few (Esci/Italeri) in the stash, but the big question will always be, can I build one in 3 months 😱

Will follow along of course!

Terry

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I suppose I could join this GB as I have a few (Esci/Italeri) in the stash, but the big question will always be, can I build one in 3 months 😱

Give it a go, you'll be very welcome.  Besides, an F-5 should be an easy build after that Gamecock.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I suppose I could join this GB as I have a few (Esci/Italeri) in the stash, but the big question will always be, can I build one in 3 months 

Just get your finger out and do it and if it ends how you say, then you can finish it off in the KUTA GB later in the year :whip:.

Stuart

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So, away we go and have a little time at the bench before life calls.

20220716-175244.jpg

First port of call is usually the cockpit and it's no different here. Very little clean up required except the join of the ejection seat. If I was displaying this area as 'open', I'd add some engine throttles to the quadrant and enclose the area behind the headrest as pics show this as enclosed but seeing that I'm adding a pilot with cockpit shut, I won't bother.

20220716-175348.jpg

I've only just realised that this kit has raised panel lines , hate them and they're are going and not being re-scribed. Again, if I was displaying this as 'open', I'd add the canopy opening lever and while we're here, would the area behind the seat be closed off?

Stuart

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

I've only just realised that this kit has raised panel lines , hate them and they're are going

I'm with you on that Stuart. That's one thing that puts me off that particular kit, although that said, I did make an Airfix F-5E which is also raised panel lines. Rubbing them down and scribing a couple of major straight lines on the wing worked ok though. In this case I reckon it will look better with the raised lines off, than with.

Terry

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

In this case I reckon it will look better with the raised lines off, than with.

20220717-192141.jpg

You're right it does, raised lines are off. According to Scalemates, this same kit was also released by Testors, Revell and Tamiya, your Airfix one was from a different stable.

19 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

possibly a radio, on a shelf

It definitely looks that way, this link http://www.primeportal.net/the_airstrip.htm shows it but as I've got the canopy shut with a pilot, I'm not going to bother but it was worth looking just in case @Terry1954 decides to build a proper one :wink:.

Stuart 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I had the same "aargh" moment last night when I realised the panel lines were raised, it definitely looks better with them all sanded off! One point I will mention, the two small clear pieces for (I assume) the landing lights in the bottom of the fuselage fit badly. I ended up having to manipulate them with a cocktail stick before the glue dried, with the added bonus that the solvent softened the plastic enough to get them fitting.

James

• Like 3

On 7/19/2022 at 9:38 AM, 81-er said:

landing lights in the bottom

I spotted these and decided not to fit them, will whack some Formula 360 canopy glue into the holes when it's all but finished.

Stuart

• Like 2

Have been waiting for my pilot...

20220725-212204.jpg

Tub, seat, console and pilot all painted up.

20220726-084403.jpg

Dude in his seat.

20220727-143248.jpg

Canopy glazing on although I had noted a small bubble in each of the parts...and there is always a spec of dust that manages to get in, ho-hum.

Stuart

• Like 7

Slowly, slowly, catch a monkey...

20220728-113702.jpg

Top and bottom halves joined but the cockpit floor may be interfering with the lower innards. Never mind, the clamp is holding things while the glue dries, then it'll be a little filler and sanding. Also fitted the intakes which are a teeny-weeny underside, so lined everything on top and will sort out the lower.

Stuart

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Courageous said:

Dude in his seat.

Hope that guy knows what he's doing as he looks as though he would be more comfortable flying a Grippen ..........🤪

T

• Haha 2