HM Bark Endeavour +++FINISHED+++

On 8/5/2022 at 6:45 PM, Ray S said:

Hello all,

I have done some Googling and found some beeswax blocks, I will get one ordered as soon as I can.

Before I toddled off to work this morning, I had time to get the next couple of rigging lines on. With my new-found confidence and not a knot in sight, I created this:

DSCN8943

I had been concerned that these lines would interfere with the shrouds, but a dry fit found the line track missed them nicely. I started on the fore main yard, wrapped a bit of thread around that and CA'd it in place, took it up to the topsail yard, down through the top and on to the rail in front of the foremast. The instruction guide showed that the end of the line would go around the bar between the two side posts, but it was solid against the bowsprit, so I have taken the liberty of wrapping the line around the outside of the posts. It worked anyway. Again I managed to get the lines taut but not bending the yards.

DSCN8945

The starboard-side lines have started to vanish in the photograph, I have completed both sides. There is another set which will go from the rail to the topgallant yard then down to the topsail yard, they too should miss the shrouds.

That is it today, short and sweet, but it is good progress for me now.

Ray

Your years of rigging tiny WW1 biplanes was but an apprenticeship for this job.  Out of my league altogether.  Hats off, sir.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Ray S said:

The mizzenmast will be a little trickier when I have a go tomorrow afternoon, as I need to get the lines down behind the shrouds, so that will test me.

Here's a thought to cheer you. Rigging a wooden ship is easier in one important way, I've found. The masts and yards are stronger and the lines are attached more firmly as well as being tougher than cotton. It is more forgiving of the occasional accidental jerk or tangle.

• Like 3

Cheers Bertie! Plastic sailing ships on the other hand...

I have always been wary of rigging sailing ships (done loads in my time) but always hesitant about how well the yards are attached, and just how much tension to give the lines so they are not slack but do not bow the masts. Oh yes, and just how good was the glue weld when I fitted the pre-painted masts to the pre-painted yards, and did I clear enough paint from the joints?

Anyway, on to today's escapade. No drama again, but being a digital contortionist would have been quite an aid today. I have been getting gradually more proficient a using tweezers to help guide where the lines go, and today was a good test for my improving skill set! The first stage of the mizzenmast rigging is now done:

DSCN8950

The instructions illustrated that the light-coloured lines went down to a pair of stanchions/bollards, but they were very kindly nestled behind the shrouds, with very little gap for me to get the lines around and through. I finally managed the first one on the port side, then thought about using a looped section of thread around the starboard bollard and pulling that tight - would it work? Could I get the angles right without popping the loop off the bollard? Could I tighten the loop without knocking a mast off? Could I hold it tight while dabbing the CA on? So many questions. Thankfully the answer was 'YES!' to all of those, and the job was done. The black backstays were solved the same way too, but I had a little more space to get fingers and tweezers and loops in so was a little easier for me.

Another short and sweet one, only one stage of rigging to go now then I can put the cannons on! Mustn't forget, mustn't forget...

Thanks for looking,

Ray

• Like 5

I got part of the next stage of rigging done, more running rigging. So, for some reason, I used the black thread. Doh! I found out halfway through the first line of the morning, but the CA had seemed to do an extra good job of sticking today, so I continued with black for the rest, so it will not stick out like a sore thumb. Only you, my friends, will know...

DSCN8976 (2)

These lines were a bit more interesting than I thought. I got threads done for the foremast yards from the main mast, and marked them off from the instructions, then had lunch. When I came back, I realised that there were more to those threads, going down to the 'bollards' behind the main shrouds, so I spent a couple of hours doing finger/tweezer origami trying to get them in! The instructions were not too clear on this, but I am now fore-warned for the next stage which will now be tomorrow. I could kick myself for using the black thread instead of the dark beige...

On an aside, yesterday I did an experiment with the rigging machine. The instructions suggested threading the lines, then coating with liquid glue to hold the lines together. When I started this build, I tried that, but the shrouds and ratlines fell apart. Then @IGKOR said that they had done the same thing with their Cutty Sark (on this fine forum), but importantly, said that the shrouds were left for a day or so. I wound a set of shrouds, then coated them with Humbrol Liquid Poly and left them for a couple of hours. It worked! The liquid Glue I have used was getting a bit thick, so I am not sure if that was a help or a hindrance, but it would certainly cut down the amount of CA I was using, and also cut out the dot of CA at every join on the shrouds. Thanks IGKOR!

All the best everyone,

Ray

• Like 5

On a more positive note, I had this lot turn up this morning:

DSCN8975

It all came form Cornwall Model Boats. I ordered it Monday afternoon, it arrived at 9.30am today, Wednesday morning. What fabulous service! And they have a huge array of equipment and models available. I really hope my two test builds I want to do work well, there are so many other options!

Ray

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ray S said:

I used the black thread.

You could always paint it. :whistle:

I do like how this is turning out though, a very neat and tidy build.

Jon

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Ray S said:

Cornwall Model Boats.

Funny how the service varies, I placed an order with them on 2/8 only to be told on 8/8 that they didn’t have a certain item. So I settled for the replacement, now it’s been dispatched. But usually, as you say, they are very quick.

Jon

13 minutes ago, Faraway said:

Funny how the service varies, I placed an order with them on 2/8 only to be told on 8/8 that they didn’t have a certain item. So I settled for the replacement, now it’s been dispatched. But usually, as you say, they are very quick.

Jon

Now I'm curious. 🤔

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ray S said:

I got part of the next stage of rigging done, more running rigging. So, for some reason, I used the black thread. Doh! I found out halfway through the first line of the morning, but the CA had seemed to do an extra good job of sticking today, so I continued with black for the rest, so it will not stick out like a sore thumb. Only you, my friends, will know...

DSCN8976 (2)

These lines were a bit more interesting than I thought. I got threads done for the foremast yards from the main mast, and marked them off from the instructions, then had lunch. When I came back, I realised that there were more to those threads, going down to the 'bollards' behind the main shrouds, so I spent a couple of hours doing finger/tweezer origami trying to get them in! The instructions were not too clear on this, but I am now fore-warned for the next stage which will now be tomorrow. I could kick myself for using the black thread instead of the dark beige...

On an aside, yesterday I did an experiment with the rigging machine. The instructions suggested threading the lines, then coating with liquid glue to hold the lines together. When I started this build, I tried that, but the shrouds and ratlines fell apart. Then @IGKOR said that they had done the same thing with their Cutty Sark (on this fine forum), but importantly, said that the shrouds were left for a day or so. I wound a set of shrouds, then coated them with Humbrol Liquid Poly and left them for a couple of hours. It worked! The liquid Glue I have used was getting a bit thick, so I am not sure if that was a help or a hindrance, but it would certainly cut down the amount of CA I was using, and also cut out the dot of CA at every join on the shrouds. Thanks IGKOR!

All the best everyone,

Ray

Nice work Ray,

Glad the glue+shroud worked!

Be Well!

Igkor

• Like 2

Hello all, I am now calling this one done!

This morning I managed to get the final bits of rigging fitted, and was just beginning to get the hang of getting the lines where I wanted in their awkward positions. My manual control of tweezers and fingers has improved these last few days too, and finally I also began to use purely my reading glasses for this rather than the magnifiers, which helped with perspective problems. The final job was to get the cannons painted on the runner, chop them off, file the muzzles and then drill out the bore. I did not add the two which went on stanchions behind the mizzen shrouds as I could not get them seated properly.

Anyway, here is the finished result, HM Bark Endeavour 1768:

DSCN8977 (2)

DSCN8978 (2)

DSCN8987 (2)

DSCN8993 (2)

I will pop some more photographs into RFI shortly.

When I started this, it was really to delve into the wallows of Nostalgia (how my son knew I wanted to do that I know not, but I am so glad he bought this for me as a birthday present!). I was going to build it 'off-grid', so to speak (except for the IPMS Gloucester Facebook page), but I took the plunge and shared the experience here. What I was not expecting though was to get drawn hook, line and sinker into the wonderful world of Sailing Ships. I have always loved building them, although this is my first 'proper' go for quite a few years (I don't count the small Airfix Starter Set Cutty Sark which I converted into The Ice Schooner). Someone on here (looking at you @Bertie McBoatface and @Faraway) has raised the stakes a lot and I am thankful about that! I have learnt a lot, had plenty of advice freely given and been inspired.

Thank you all for the looks, likes, comments and advice, it has all been really appreciated.

My next project will be one I started a long time ago, a scratchbuild which really need completing. It still has sails, so the new-found pleasure will continue!

All the best everyone,

Ray

• Like 11

• Ray S changed the title to HM Bark Endeavour +++FINISHED+++

It has been a pleasure to accompany you on this voyage, it was great to watch the ship take shape.

I think you should be justly proud of the end result. :worthy:

Thank you for those kind words, I’m not sure they are justified, but thanks.

I have to say, you have changed my view of these ‘older’ kits, with a bit of dedication they can be made into some excellent.

Now, how about keeping me company and building a paper/card ship ? :whistle:

It’s quite lonely in the paper dry dock.

I’m looking forward to seeing what you do next.
Jon

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ray S said:

What I was not expecting though was to get drawn hook, line and sinker into the wonderful world of Sailing Ships.

She's come out very well Ray. A very good re-entry into the wonderful world. It's like a permanent Group Build down here in the sailing sub-genre of the maritime genre!

19 hours ago, Ray S said:

I have always loved building them, although this is my first 'proper' go for quite a few years (I don't count the small Airfix Starter Set Cutty Sark which I converted into The Ice Schooner). Someone on here (looking at you @Bertie McBoatface and @Faraway) has raised the stakes a lot and I am thankful about that! I have learnt a lot, had plenty of advice freely given and been inspired.

Thank you all for the looks, likes, comments and advice, it has all been really appreciated.

My next project will be one I started a long time ago, a scratchbuild which really need completing. It still has sails, so the new-found pleasure will continue!

Ray

It's been a pleasure watching this fine ship come together and helping where possible too. 

18 hours ago, Faraway said:

Now, how about keeping me company and building a paper/card ship ? :whistle:

It’s quite lonely in the paper dry dock.

I’m looking forward to seeing what you do next.
Jon

Looking at the tools that Ray had bought, I think it has to be a wooden one? I couldn't find the old RFI though so I'm rather intrigued.

• Like 2