F-5A, Kinetic 1/48

Robert Stuart

The stand prototype looks excellent, Robert. I love the attitude you've got the fuselage sitting in on the mockup as well.

James

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 81-er said:

I've not done an "in flight" build before, but I've been tempted.

Well, you can see all the tools I used in the photos.  The pesto jar gave the curves' radius.
When first bent, the acrylic seems to develop a very sharp bend. A bit more heating, and that can be adapted to a more pleasing radius. (At least, that's what happened for me.)

Some acrylic glue might be needed further down the line, going to wait on that decision.

• Thanks 1

More 3d printing ... this time, tubes to act as sockets, within the jet pipes, for the acrylic rods.
Cigar_tube_v5_02.jpg Cigar_tube_v5_01.jpg

Calling these cigar tubes for want of a better name.  They'll fit inside the airframe, roughly where the engines live IRL
F-5A_006.jpg

I have been working on the kit, too, 'onest.

F-5A_007.jpg

Jet pipes, wings, nose (x3), seat, cockpit tub, pilots & coke bottles.

The coke bottles were a pleasant surprise.
Last time I built a similar kit (Kinetic's F-5B), the replacement fuel tank was thinner than the duplicates on the weapons sprue; this time, it looks the same size.

• Like 13

43 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I do like your printed cigar tubes, they look like a very good solution for fitting the F-5 onto the acrylic rod.

🇺🇦

Thanks, Craig.
The more traditional solution would be to use brass tube (James, you taking notes?).
3d printing is, for me, an easier approach.  Pretty sure these would work for most conventional jets.

Next stage, some epoxy resin (Milliput, here I come), which should also cure the divots I dug back on the 17th.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2022 at 6:15 PM, Robert Stuart said:

More 3d printing ... this time, tubes to act as sockets, within the jet pipes, for the acrylic rods.
Cigar_tube_v5_02.jpg Cigar_tube_v5_01.jpg

Calling these cigar tubes for want of a better name.  They'll fit inside the airframe, roughly where the engines live IRL
F-5A_006.jpg

I have been working on the kit, too, 'onest.

F-5A_007.jpg

Jet pipes, wings, nose (x3), seat, cockpit tub, pilots & coke bottles.

The coke bottles were a pleasant surprise.
Last time I built a similar kit (Kinetic's F-5B), the replacement fuel tank was thinner than the duplicates on the weapons sprue; this time, it looks the same size.

Looking good.  I have one of these I may build as well.  Where did you get the pilot?

D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davek72 said:

Looking good.  I have one of these I may build as well.  Where did you get the pilot?

D

If you do make a 'cigar tube', the inside dome could be flat (option), and the outside should be dished instead of domed ... it would have helped when pushing the tube back against the jet pipes.
Suggested revision:
Cigar_tube_v7_01.jpg

Cigar_tube_v7_00.jpg

Breather hole unlikely to be needed.

My pilot is a German Phantom pilot from PJ Productions (bought through Hannants, link: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/PJ481126 )

HTH

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hmm, this has sat quiet for all of August, I suppose I ought to post an update.

The base
Was a maple leaf

F-5A_005a.jpg

I had a concern, the leaf would never be displayed upright.  That upset me, I didn't like the idea.
So a new base was designed and printed.
F-5A_010.jpg

New base, 3D printed (FDM), filled and painted, alongside a similar Swiss base (inverted).
The top has a captive nut that helps with screwing to the underside.

The F-5A
There is progress to report in the kit itself, specifically, the pilot and cockpit.

F-5A_008.jpg

Well, that's now painted, and our guy is leaning back in his seat.
F-5A_011.jpg

F-5A_012.jpg

To achieve the more relaxed pose, he did have to undergo a regime of weight reduction, especially in the nether regions.

The shoulders need some filler and paint, before the fuselage can be closed.

• Like 6

Had a chance to work on my own builds last night, the F-5A looks like this now:

F-5A_013.jpg

F-5A_014.jpg

Due in part to my approach, the underside of the fuselage was a pain to get lined up and right.
If I build another, think I'll either follow the instructions, or, build the underside, working front to rear.

• Like 6

Some progress to report
The nose cap and jet pipes are on, and filling has started.

F-5A_015.jpg

Displayed with the base.

Undercarriage doors and air brakes:

F-5A_016.jpg

Those doors were designed to be open, and took some fettling to close.
I decided against using the smaller nose wheel door, the kit really wasn't designed for that to be closed.
The air brakes were going to be a whole other story, the kit ones are too long for their bay.  Since they are flat with no detail, I went with the easy option and just filled the space.

Think this is turning into a filler queen.

That base.
On my desk, with the lid on it just, but only just, balances the model.
Outside, on a blue velvet cloth, it needed weight:
F-5A_018.jpg

Ten grams (about 1/3 oz) is enough, 30 grams (1 oz) will be more stable, especially if I shorten the acrylic rods.

• Like 6

A kit change for the pilot and few details added; details like the canopy and coke-bottles, and the acrylic rods shortened.

The pilot now has a grey bone-dome, and orange life vest, details that are visible in photos of my intended airframe.
F-5A_019.jpg

For some reason, the fairings just forward of the jet pipes left a huge gap (2 or 3 mm) before the main fuselage – don't recall this issue on other builds of the kit.
The starboard coke-bottle has been corrected for width, essentially, the starboard wing socket let into a spare port wing tank, and the whole re-scribed.

Underside: the arrestor hook added, and a bit more filling.
F-5A_021.jpg

Aside: the base no longer needs ballast since shortening the acrylic support rods.

• Like 6

Painting, or, at least priming, has started.
First a coat of Halfords filler primer – no missing where that landed:

F-5A_022.jpg

That was yesterday, and today, three coats of white.

F-5A_024.jpg

My problem lay with covering the white Miliput filler.
F-5A_025.jpg

Hope this will be good enough.

• Like 5

Colours for my F-5A ...
The plan is to paint this in a red & white scheme.

To this end, the airframe ahas been given a few coats of Halfords Appliance White.
Not sure that there is much difference to see in the photos between the gloss white and the primer coat.
F-5A_027.jpg

The red will need to match the model's decals: these are the options so far.

F-5A_028.jpg

Not the easiest colour to spray over gloss lacquer.  The first two coats need to misted on, after that it sprays normally, except for the excessive, and unforgiving, bleed.
Interesting, in the photo Naphthol red looks to be the best match for the decals, in my hand, the Pyrrole red looks better.

• Like 6