Canadair CF116A (CF5A), 419 'Moose' Sqn CAF late 1970's, 1/72nd ESCI kit, Finished

Mr T

The colours are actually Humbrol 106 Ocean Grey and 163 Dark Green.  The gloss varnish and the somewhat indifferent photograph on my part makes the model look darker than it actually is. 

Photos of the real thing taken under different conditions seem to show that the colours were fairly dark.  I have my doubts about the Ocean Grey as bring a good match for the MAP shade. 

The kit stencil decals are on and most of them have decided to surrender and stick to the surface.  There are still a few spots of apparent silvering.  Experience shows that when you think you have eliminated the silvering,  a matt varnish coat reveals you have not. The Flight Colours decals are much better,  or at least the three I have used are. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The decals are now finished and hopefully bedded down. Any signs of silvering will be severely dealt with by the offending area being painted. The Flying Colours decals went on well and were a complete contrast to the ESCI ones. Going to start adding the undercarriage etc. tonight. Hopefully the photo shows the green and grey camouflage a bit better.

52296836685_a52398ae51_c_d.jpg

• Like 13

The last photo was taken in our conservatory under bright natural diffused light.  The previous photo was taken under artificial lighting with a different background.  

• Like 1

This will probably be the last post in the build thread. The undercarriage and other bits have been added, apart from the 20mm cannon barrels that are being replaced by some 0.9mm tube. The kit nose pitot has been replaced by some Albion Alloys slide fit tube. I really like their tube stuff, it is not badly priced and is very versatile. Some bit s of paint work need attending to, like aerials, but it should not take too long.

52300826013_03504b4533_c_d.jpg 

• Like 8

Topcoat varnish today and the masking will come off tomorrow.  It is Winsor and Newton Galeria varnish and I like to leave it  for a day or so before handling.  Probably Friday for the Gallery.  Thursday we are off to Nottingham to see my aunt in her care home.  Last survivor of nine brothers and sisters including my father.  

• Like 4

• Mr T changed the title to Canadair CF116A (CF5A), 419 'Moose' Sqn CAF late 1970's, 1/72nd ESCI kit, Finished