Canadair CF116A (CF5A), 419 'Moose' Sqn CAF late 1970's, 1/72nd ESCI kit, Finished

Mr T

My entry for this group build will be an old ESCI F5 kit, that has sat in the stash for some time. It appeared in the mid 80s and was a very nice kit on release, with very fine panel line detail and sharp trailing edges. The wheel wells are a bit shallow due to moulding constraints with the thin wing and the jet pipes are not very deep, something I may do something about. The kit has re-appeared in an Italeri box, but I do not know how well it has aged. The decals I will be using are an equally old Flying  Colours sheet. I am not sure how well these will perform. I have a memory of them being a bit on the thin side and so well probably benefit from some Microscale DecalFilm.

52206697239_8743f6cfc1_c_d.jpg

• Like 11

The plastic used in the was either the silver shown or a tan colour. Both were harder than a lot of stuff you see today from eg Airfix. The only problem I remember from the kit was that the main undercarriage fouled the wing tank and the main undercarriage leg was a none too secure fit. 

• Like 1

Yes, it has a couple of Dutch aircraft taking off. A biggish decal sheet, although the quality was not stunning. Not very flexible and didn't want to bed down on anything other than a flat surface. 

Up and running (well, a fairly gentle stroll) with this one. First off, I have built up the main fuselage. The  parts for this come as two halves and a bottom. One half was a little warped and needed some persuasion to fit together. The bottom was fine from a fit point of view, but is slightly oversized, something I remember from building it long ago. The engine exhaust were flush with the rear fuselage, and I have drilled those out and added some tube to make a more convincing jet exhaust. The undercarriage bay is way too shallow, but to deepen it would wreck the wings and so it will require some creative painting effects. Not my strong suit. 

52220142654_4df6954b9e_c_d.jpg

• Like 12

More progress on the Freedom Fighter. The cockpit is furnished. This is pretty much out of the box as I have found it difficult to source any aftermarket, and the canopy is going to be closed anyway. The various parts of the fuselage have been added. This was not as straightforward as I would have liked, as one half the cockpit area was  warped. This in turn meant that the fit of the cockpit section to the main fuselage and the first part of the nose was not a prefect fit, and it required a bit of brute force and ignorance to get everything square. Some filler has been needed, with the air intakes also causing some problems. Last night the wings went on, and today I plan on adding the canopy. The pointy bit of the nose will also be attached, now that I have established that there is sufficient weight in the nose.

52235878995_8b5c27f303_c_d.jpg52234411397_ffd8bb824e_c_d.jpg

52234411377_4b03fd4ab8_c_d.jpg

There are also some sinkage on various parts to be dealt with, mainly where there are locating pins.

• Like 9

My dad spent his life as a turner and fitter, he always reckoned that when all else failed, hitting something got a result. Although not always the desired one. 

Thanks for the comment, it is going together. The canopy has just gone on and a some filler where needed on the wing roots. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

More work done, and the model is ready for a primer coat. The wing tanks and tailplanes have been left off in case there is more filling and sanding to do.

52238377750_c7e2d308e0_c_d.jpg

This must be one of the fastest builds I have done in a long while.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

The CF116 is now ready for painting, and in fact since the picture was taken the undersurface grey has been added. I have not added the nose and the IFR probes, as they are asking to be damaged when I mask the undersurface off. They will be added before the top surface grey goes on, as I will brush paint the green pattern. I have decided on a fairly austere stores fit. Quite a few photos show either two wing tanks or a single centre line tank. I had problems with the fit of the underwing tanks being fouled by the undercarriage in my mid-eighties build, and so I am going for the centre line tank which seemed fairly common

52257678987_92f322c7b4_c_d.jpg

• Like 12

She does look very good, such a wonderful shape.

I had the same issue with wing tanks when I built one years ago, definitely to do with the kit rather than the builder. You are also right that the majority of pictures show tip tanks and the fuselage tank rather than ones under the wings.

🇺🇦

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Mr T said:

The CF116 is now ready for painting, and in fact since the picture was taken the undersurface grey has been added. I have not added the nose and the IFR probes, as they are asking to be damaged when I mask the undersurface off. They will be added before the top surface grey goes on, as I will brush paint the green pattern. I have decided on a fairly austere stores fit. Quite a few photos show either two wing tanks or a single centre line tank. I had problems with the fit of the underwing tanks being fouled by the undercarriage in my mid-eighties build, and so I am going for the centre line tank which seemed fairly common

52257678987_92f322c7b4_c_d.jpg

I was tempted by a photo of a CF-116 with tip tanks and 4 wing pylons each with a napalm canister; looked a bleak location rather than a show load.

Chris  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chrisj2003 said:

I was tempted by a photo of a CF-116 with tip tanks and 4 wing pylons each with a napalm canister; looked a bleak location rather than a show load.

Chris  

I think I might have seen the same photo. It could have been Norway as they did deploy on exercise over there. My understanding is that the Canadians would have sent CF116As amongst other things to Norway to help bolster their  defences and protect the North Sea shipping routes. 

• 2 weeks later...

Painting completed on the CF116. I used the newish Humbrol acrylics in the dropper bottles with the shades that are supposed to be a match for the Canadian camouflage colours (that appeared to have changed at fairly regular intervals as standards and suppliers changed). I was pleasantly surprised how well they worked, both with a brush and being airbrushed. Certainly an improvement on the ones in tinlets.

52290309479_244c0ce618_c_d.jpg

The photo shows the model glossed and ready for decalling. I have started adding some stencils from the kit sheet and remembered the one thing I really disliked about what was otherwise quite a nice kit. The decals are dreadful. They are not that thick, but have absolutely no give in them whatsoever.  Even with near boiling water and extra strong decal setting solution, they are reluctant to settle on anything other than a flat surface. Next update will depend on how long the decals take to put on.

• Like 9