ROCAF F-20 Tigershark *COMPLETED*

Luke1199

Hi all, looking forward to participating in my first group build. The kit I'll be building is the Hasegawa F-20 Tigershark. Here is is...

20220710_113101

20220710_113139

I'll be building it in a ROCAF/Taiwanese scheme, the premise here being the F-20 was purchased to replace the ROCAF's ageing fleet of F-5s like the one seen below.

20220710_113441

The decals I'll be using are from Xtradecal, and are the low-visability ROCAF markings used on their F-5s in the early 2010's.

20220710_113414

Can't wait to see everyone else's work, thanks for looking in!

Edited by Luke1199
  • Like 12

2 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Lo-vis?
That looks exciting.

Low vis markings are just greyed out markings, like the kind usually seen on stealth aircraft. It seems some oher air forces must use them on grey aircraft too

• Like 1

Hi all, made a start this morning on the cockpit before the heat became unbearable. It's a little barebones but I'll likely have the lid closed anyway.

20220716_152459

20220716_152314

Also dry fitted the fuselage halves and the wings and it looks absolutely spot on.

I've also bought a 1/48 Tiger Hobbies F-5A (only £10 on their site if anyone still needs an F-5), so I can build that later in the GB.

Thanks for looking in!

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Robert Stuart said:

A good start there Luke.

Avoiding the heat in Durham?

Trying to avoid it haha, but once it's midday its time to call it quits in the loft. Meant to be 35°c on Tuesday- don't think I'll be getting much done 😅

• Like 1

Hi all, made some more progress as the room cooled down. Intakes are on and the fuselage is together, leave it overnight and hopefully get the wings on her tomorrow morning.

20220716_220157

20220716_221510

Glad I got another kit for this GB really, this one is absolutely flying together so far.

Thanks for looking in! 

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Nice progress Luke, fast.
What are your plans for the next one?

Thanks! The other one is an F-5A so I'm thinking either an Iranian scheme or maybe a Venezuelan scheme as it comes with the wing tanks for the Canadair produced aircraft

• Like 2

4 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Iran and Venezuela are both excellent choices by the way, do you have the markings for them?

Tandecal do a set for the F-5A I'll be buying.

SmartSelect_20220717-170336_eBay

And I was able to find pictures of the actual aircraft included in the set

Venezuelan_Air_Force_Northrop_Canadair_VF-5_A_CL-226_Schleiff

800px-IRIAF_Northrop_F-5E_Tiger_II_Talebzadeh

• Like 5

Hi all, managed to knuckle down despite the heat, thankfully it should cool down after today 😅

So the wings are on, no issues really just a little filler needed on the intakes to help them blend. I got it primed last night.

20220717_195812

20220719_095500

Then this morning I got the top half painted...

20220719_102714

I'm using different colours than my old F-5E, that was the second kit I ever built and the difference between the two shades of grey is waaay to noticable.

20220502_100138

The greys used on the actual aircraft are very close in colour.

cover_5ab1206b6e86c8_42976315

I also added a touch of light blue to the base grey as I think there's a hint of blue in the ROCAF F-5s grey.

Thanks for looking in! 

• Like 4

Looking nice Luke, good progress.

@Luke1199
My apologies, I changed the title of this thread by accident.
Think it has been corrected back, but can you check, and either correct it (edit your opening post), or let me or modelling minion know the right title.
Sorry for the inconvenience
Robert

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luke1199 said:

I'm using different colours than my old F-5E, that was the second kit I ever built and the difference between the two shades of grey is waaay to noticable

Luke, make sure the paint is a different shade from the decals; I struggled on my RoKAF F-5E last year with the darker shade being far too close to the decals so that they are hard to see, and very hard to place right. Lo-viz taken too far.

Chris (avoiding grey jets for now.)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chrisj2003 said:

Luke, make sure the paint is a different shade from the decals; I struggled on my RoKAF F-5E last year with the darker shade being far too close to the decals so that they are hard to see, and very hard to place right. Lo-viz taken too far.

Chris (avoiding grey jets for now.)

Ah thanks for the tip, I'll have to have a check before I paint the camoflage. Good call 

• Like 1