F-20C Edwards A.F.B. 2009 50th Anniversary of the airframe history.

Hello everyone … This will be my entry for the build. Its Hasegawas F-20 which only comes with the company demonstrator scheme. Sadly I’m not a huge fan so this will be built in a WHIF scheme. 

jpPo7tB.jpg

The parts image is taken from google and will be replaced once I can open my box and photo it. 

kdBEgH9.jpg

oltAXsj.jpg

7fWjvNM.jpg

My back story for the WHIF, the F-20 was a success in that it was taken up by various nations to replace the older F-5’s and in some countries to modernize their Air forces. The F-20 was also purchased by the USAF & USN in the late 1980’s to replace the F-5 aggressor’s. The USAF would also use it as a prototype chase plane. My particular plane is one of these. It is an F-20C based at Edward’s AFB in 2009 and for the airframes 50th anniversary is painted in this scheme. Which was worn at Edwards 50 years earlier on  F-5A prototype scheme. Yes I will be doing Day-glo on this bare metal frame. 

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Northrop_YF-5A_(SN_59-4987,_first_prototype_aircraft)_060905-F-1234S-001.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts.

Dennis

PS - I do have a second F-20 which may also get built pending available time. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 13

19 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Nice choice Dennis,my youngest is building this one for his first GB been looking at the sprues a little

Peach of a kit.

Thanks Ive got a second one but not sure if I will crack it open. I might sell it or just leave it for a future build. If I can find an F-5A I will grab it as thats the plane I really do want to build. 

• Like 1

Heads up Denis
A few online stores over here have had loads* of Italeri kits.
Their ex-ESCI F-5A's are among the batch.

Might be worth keeping an eye out on your side of the pond?

*Enough for me to wonder about Italeri's warehousing

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Heads up Denis
A few online stores over here have had loads* of Italeri kits.
Their ex-ESCI F-5A's are among the batch.

Might be worth keeping an eye out on your side of the pond?

*Enough for me to wonder about Italeri's warehousing

Im hoping the closest thing we call a Hobby shop in this town will have one ? Im making a stop there later next week and he does seem to get the current Italeri releases. Sadly he does ask a premium for them though. I will be X’ing fingers either the F-5 or T-33 are there, as one will make its way home. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Good morning everybody … Well its only been a month but I finally got to start this tonight. 0oQnkH9.jpg

yNSvBoA.jpg

I actually removed the two canopy horns as I decided I will pose this with the canopy down. 

fZmJ8QE.jpg

VsNrthw.jpg

The wings are great on this kit, virtually no gaps maybe just a bit of surfacer to fill in what little there is. The fuselage not so much, few gaps but missing divots on top and bottom will need filling. W7ruypz.jpg

fpg47Sm.jpg

1SWh0H5.jpg

Will start to fill the gaps tomorrow and when thats done can add the stabs. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Looks like a very good start, Dennis, nice progress.
OT, wonder what those props are in the background.

I have 5 mustangs, 4 spitfires, and one Brewster Buffalo stalled at the moment. Im just trying to catch up on my group build requirements. 

7 hours ago, modelling minion said:

A great start mate, and what a wonderful shape the F-20 is.

For an older kit this looks pretty good to me.

🇺🇦

It is with the minor flubs on the centerline which may be my issue. 

• Like 3

Hello everyone … well this is fully together now except for ordnance and landing gear but those come after paint. It will get a black-base for the aluminum this week. It will be painted along with my CF.100.Zpru9Y8.jpg

QZgqAGa.jpg

Once the Aluminum is done I can mask for the international dayglo orange panels. 2SIz8tP.jpg

MX4HhKP.jpg

3hVkgQs.jpg

Dennis

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im still not sure about these tanks, any thoughts ?

They look okay to me, Dennis.  After all, if you're in Whif City, so I reckon go with them.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thanks though Im still not sure about these tanks, any thoughts ?

They give it a sense of power - subjectively, like extra engines out there.
Whether you keep them or no, Dennis, that's good progress .

• Thanks 1

Good Afternoon everyone … I fell asleep at 6:00 am after working all night at my desk. I am trying hard to catch up on all my group build commitments. I was able to spray four colors on this and one on my CF.100 build along with a satin coat on my F-100. There is a white panel just at the top of the rudder/stab. Then a yellow base for the orange(no pink or Id have tried that). Then the orange with Black finishing off. 9WAgIEr.jpg

kqjl5YB.jpg

Note there are three bombs painted orange, the original YP-5A when displayed had the same load out and it appears they were painted day-glow for display. So that is why they're orange

XZsjfYn.jpg

2uIAYVr.jpg

This will cure for today and then I will mask for the aluminum. That wont get a black base as the plane is painted aluminum not NMF1xIAD9Z.jpg

MYiy81Z.jpg

YTo7ynt.jpg

NgWeriH.jpg

Dennis

• Like 10

Your F-20 looks promising, with that day-glo contrasting well against the black.

BTW

4 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I fell asleep at 6:00 am after working all night at my desk. I am trying hard to catch up on all my group build commitments.

I believe there is a rule in most GBs about having fun? You are allowed to relax too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1