Canadian 2-tone LIFT - FINISHED

Chrisj2003

Grey on underside done, and fading in up sides of fuselage; will finish grey before masking wrap around green and then returning to underside. With much reference to photos glued on fixed air refuelling probe, needs a bit of excess glue tidied up; hoping I can keep this in one piece throughout camo painting and varnishing.

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Good to see more progress on this Chris.

🇺🇦

Thanks Craig. This is going better than the Starfighter so enthusiasm is higher. 

Chris

• Like 1

Grey done; a lot of masking ahead for the green; fairly narrow areas of camo and photos I have don't tie in with guide on decal sheet so the wing patterns will be a bit of a guess.

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Arie Vos said:

You could use these masks:

spacer.png

Same scheme; different colours

I have these masks, and they are very nice, but they don't cover the underside and they don't align in places with the photos. So its these masks and tape and a sharp new blade.

Chris

• Like 2

Tape on the bottom, masks on the top, with modifications to suit the 2 photos I have of the sides which do align nicely to each other, the underside aligns with the sides and bears a passing resemblance to the pattern on the decal sheet which doesn't align with the photos. 

Too much pressure on cutting the tape and one stab popped off; so that will delay progress a bit; glue, coats of grey, before onto the camo green.

Chris

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

That looks promising.  Wonder how you'll manage the undercarriage doors & air breaks.

They are so small at this scale I have painted them separately; demarcation eyed in. 😀

Chris

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nice holiday abroad, a lot to do when we got back this week, so bit a of a delay on this. Green paint on, old tin of Hu116, and generally happy, some touch-ups required, particularly where the LF Model mask didn't stick around the complex geometry. And I painted all the refuelling probe green. :doh:

Next tasks:

• grey touch-ups
  • tip tank silver then clear colours
  • varnish

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 5

More progress:

• Landing lights on ends of coke bottles and on fin painted; at this scale I am going to ignore the wing lights
  • Drop tanks painted, the reference photo has them in the old scheme with light grey underside 

A few more bits to do before varnish.

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 6

• Chrisj2003 changed the title to Canadian 2-tone LIFT - paint progress

Decals started, waiting for the Microsol on the tailband to do its magic, then got to trim around landing light, and place the rest of the decals on the fin before other side. These Xtradecal slime lights are much more life like colour than the kit ones.

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Well the tailbands took a lot longer than expected:

• First multiple applications of MicroSol to get them to settle over the landing lights
  • Cutting out the lights with a new blade
  • I didn't achieve a perfect line around all 4 protuberances, so very careful touch-up with blue paint.

I think I'm ready to wash and seal the decals now. Xrtadecal didn't include the ejection warning triangles and red markings on the rear fuselage, and there's some silvering around these ones of the box.

Chris

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

• Chrisj2003 changed the title to Canadian 2-tone LIFT - decals done