Canadian 2-tone LIFT - FINISHED

Chrisj2003

My entry is the Italeri 1/72 CF-116A I bought about 20 years ago with the intention of making a Canadian one with lau-5002 rockets as printed out image. Completely untouched for a long time, and I have done too many grey planes in the last couple of years so now's the chance. Apart from Master pitot it was going to be OOB, however looking at decals I have realised the slime lights are egg-yolk yellow, and there are a lot wrapping round the tip-tanks, so I need decals for a CF-116. Oddly a Canadian decal supplier has equally egg-yolk yellow slime light decals so I'll be ordering the Xtradecal set which is the only other option in print. And that will save me having to paint the blue fin stripes exactly correct for narrow red decal borders which is the kit option.

Still two other GB entries in progress, but I am seeing this as a fairly quick build.

The kit has white for u/c legs and bays, photos suggest aluminium; any thoughts?

Chris

spacer.png

Edited by Chrisj2003
Progress
  • Like 12

You're First up to the gate Chris

I stand to be corrected, but, my impression is that silver is often seen on F-5As, and white on F-5Es.
On this page, the Turkish (ex-Dutch) aircraft appears to have a white nose leg (not sure about main legs).  Other aircraft appear to have silver undercarriages.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadair_CF-5

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Welcome to the GB Chris.

Great to see a Canadian aircraft as they were a very important operator of the type and they carried some nice schemes too.

🇺🇦

Craig, yes they did, and the grey green scheme seemed to have loads of variants, light grey u/s or wraparound, high vis or low viz national and / or unit markings, roundels on wings or not, clean paintwork or worn. However mine turns out it’ll be hard to say it’s wrong. 😀

Chris

• Haha 2

Looking at photos  I have looked at for my GB entry, all that I have seen of Canadian aircraft had 'silver' legs and wheels hubs. The ex Dutch Turkish NF5As were built by Canadair

• Thanks 1

Normal swift delivery from the big H; much happier with the colour of these slime lights and also the tail bands as one decal. Lots of nice options, mainly for Es, but I like the blue and silver Greek A, and there is a GB proposal in the 2023 bunfight which would suit. No progress here because:

1. Too hot at the bench.
  2. Two other GB entries ongoing; hoping to close out one this week as the weather turns on Wednesday.

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 7

On 17/07/2022 at 21:25, Robert Stuart said:

Looks good Chris, a nice range of options from big H (pretty sure Xtradecal is big H?)

Robert, very nice options for Es, though most are grey. I'm going with the 2-tone Canadian for the A in this GB. The Greek blue and sliver would be an option for 2023 Southern Europe GB; that would require an addition to the stash, and the new Italeri release has its own nice options...  :fraidnot:

Chris

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So I got the F-4E completed last week, which freed up space and time to progress the CF-104 and start this. Seat assembled and start on paint. Rear fuselage assembled between painting.

Questions: I am loading this with LAU-5003; which are supposedly indistinguishable from the LAU-68 in the Italeri weapons set, Are Italeri correct representing tips of rockets as shown (bigger parts on right)? And rocket pod colours; O/D? White?

Thanks,

Chris

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

From what I can tell Italreri got it right, tips of rockets visible and pods in a dark green or live green colour.

🇺🇦

Thanks Craig

• Like 1

Having changed decals as above I did a bit of digging and found images of the plane on the decal sheet; Wikimedia with squadron colours on tail and Sven’s without@Old Viper Tester  Happily for me both images show weathering / non uniform colours.

spacer.png

I am going for something in between the two photos, ie tail art and nose roundel, and larger rocket pods than used at Red Flag 83-2.  But probably the wing tanks and no centre tank as Red Flag. And wing tanks may end up in pre wraparound scheme. And a slight droop on the leading edge slats(?). Lid will be down because of lack of canopy lifting details. Decisions….

Chris

• Like 9

A very nice choice Chris.

The aircraft shows a nice mix of markings and the replacement panel on the nose adds interest too.

A great set of pics from Sven (as usual) and they show a nice mix of markings on the visiting CF-116's. My personal favourite is 116744 with full colour markings and the mis-matched central nose panels and RF-5 nose fitted.

🇺🇦

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So this is behind the CF-104 on the bench, but as the current heatwave makes work during daylight unpleasant I have been assembling this last thing each evening instead (and painting the inside of the intakes and behind the splitter plates along the way). Lots of parts, lots of small seams to smooth, and still got a "dimple" forward of the windscreen to sort out.

1. Fuselage with intakes parts.
  2. Intakes on, still some seams to tidy.
  3. Horizontal surfaces on, seams to tidy.

Further progress is weather dependent.

Chris

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 8

• Chrisj2003 changed the title to Canadian 2-tone LIFT - main assembly

Still some seam work to complete but lots of bits added:

• Drooped flaps
  • coke bottle wing tanks
  • underside air scopes and tailhook; the instructions don't mention  anything about drilling holes before assembly and I didn't look ahead
  • Master gun barrels; so much nicer than the lumps of plastic in the kit, and all the CF-116 show gun barrels in camo colour so good to go now

Bit more fettling, canopy to add and will be good to paint.

Chris

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 10

• Chrisj2003 changed the title to Canadian 2-tone LIFT - seat in

Canopy faired in and off to the paint shop. For brush painting I can't see a way to hold it and the wingspan is too narrow for my normal takeaway container support so one side at a time balanced on jars of paint. First coat.

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 9

• Chrisj2003 changed the title to Canadian 2-tone LIFT - paint started