Jon builds a U-Boot

Just saw your build thread, and thought I would chime in.

Do yourself a favor, don't spend a lot of time detail painting the battery's.

I went off on my sub and painted ALL  the terminals and connections... you can't see ANY OF IT !

ALSO, I'm not positive but I believe the green tanks are Hydrogen  Peroxide.

They have something to do with oxygen  to the engines.... but I could be wrong. ( it's been a few years since I looked at any of my references books...)

Looking good so far. I will be following along .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

But seriously, are those hot temperatures in summer normal for your part of the world?

Definitely not.
Normal for UK is low to mid 20’s over 30 is rare and is called a ‘heat wave. Anything 40 is completely abnormal.

Jon

3 hours ago, Little Timmy said:

Do yourself a favor, don't spend a lot of time detail painting the battery's.

👍Thanks for the heads up on the batteries. I learnt long ago, to always check what will be seen and I try to ‘dry fit’ as much as possible. 
So, the only paint theses batteries got was on the side facing out.

Jon

32 minutes ago, Faraway said:

I’m hoping they are to scale, not much I can do about if not.

Gidday Jon, looking at the photos in the link those hatches don't look very big so I assume they're correct. Can you imagine the devastation to the convoys if these boats were available in numbers earlier on in the war?   Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Jon, looking at the photos in the link those hatches don't look very big so I assume they're correct. Can you imagine the devastation to the convoys if these boats were available in numbers earlier on in the war?   Regards, Jeff.

The world would be a very different place, had these boats been about during the Battle of the Atlantic.

Jon

Bloomin 'eck.

It's bloomin hot.

As a result of this, I've not been doing a lot, but did manage to build the engine/motor room.

p?i=c92ff2e0ed6da74e1a096d5aca275ecb

p?i=b448a29821e1113ea1f24b6802238f36

p?i=ed29168a3de916a13172548a27c435d6

p?i=950afec22471f24353d8df70e661b9f8

p?i=315037f92329cd913d7d87d31522ffc4

p?i=2e24b164313b6bcd748a605028bd395f

Behind the machinery, you can just make out detail on the wall, a few decals to apply and some of this detail I'll paint.

p?i=2f1384cbb65fa6f0cf08a6c789bac240

The next stage to to fit the deck to this side of the hull, but first the internal detail of the deck will need painting.

But that probably won't happen today, as I'm going to spray the interior of the hull and to be honest, I think it's too hot and the paint will dry before it lands. So I think that this will be a job for tomorrow, IF the weather cools down as has been forecast.

So, stay cool folks.

Jon

• Like 7

Looks great, I love busy models with lots going on.

I'd definitely wait until it cools down a bit to spray or airbrush, It's not worth risking clogs and blobs on something like this for the sake of a couple of days. I did some rough brush pre-shading yesterday and my wet palette was drying out before I could finish. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Faraway said:

The end is in sight.

Then adjust your clothing before you leave the house.

I'm sort of enjoying this build but I'm really keen to see what happens next. The sub does look really good though. I like the contrast between the relatively featureless outside and the detail within.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice and good looking work on the sub. Guess the outcome will be great.

Time usage is not an issue, since you enjoy it. Myself, I am fighting for 7 months now to get on withe Cutty Sark and still am half the way... (you know, work, family, other obligations and so on). But I lije the process, its relaxing for me and most important its not only where u go to but the journey itself counts!

Be well

Igkor

• Like 1

All done.

Many, many thanks to all of you who watched this build and for all you comments.

I hope you enjoyed watching this sub take shape as much as I enjoyed building it.

Jon

• Like 3

I have the impression from following the build, that you had a pleasant relaxed time with this one. It's been very pleasant to read too. And now we see on the RFI that the result is darned good as well! 

And now for something completely different...