W.O. Tetsuzo Iwanoto A6M2, Tamiya 1/48 scale, build OOB +COMPLETED+

Icarus

Good afternoon everyone.

The joys of CoVID mean I won't be travelling with work for a while, so I may have inadvertently generated some home time to build this.  We will see...

IEG4iWhqYF2VzqAFdwx6OHknRuX3F3thgV9tu5Jn

9FuKj5UZywvD0PfEpRYX1L1i6n9jrFB68feL3E3N

4uy6uMKIw3sW_hFtFaJvqEq9tM8y9HlK0AF7i5Jx

Time is short, so whilst we're not quite in Blitzbuild territory, the only aftermarket item I will be getting is some commercial masking, to speed up that always painful process.  I will include the pilot figure to obviate the need for seatbelts.

Anyway, that's the aspiration.  Let's see where we end up.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
  • Like 3

A bit of progress with this already...

qx-j2ojU6ftXRKqcnx70KNjnvsw5W8s2huygoTFO

Usually I paint and weather the cockpit components before building up the cockpit, but I think the paint layers at the mating surfaces, even after sanding, may have contributed to some fit issues I have recently had with high fidelity/low tolerance kits.  I saw a recent article in a magazine where the author assembled the cockpit, primed it, sprayed on Alclad polished Al, then the cockpit colour before some very effective weathering by abrasion.  Clearly that only works if the cockpit is one colour - happily the A6M2 is Mr Hobby 127.

I have modified this approach slightly, so the cockpit is only tacked in.  I also need to straighten the I/P a bit!

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 3

Welcome along Icarus, probably the only good thing to come form Covid is an up turn in model building!!

Another of wonderful model from Tamiya's amazing 1/48th range.

You are right about the fit and even the tiny amount of excess or un-required paint on joins... Zoukei-Mura and AMK models are very similar in that way too.

Good luck with the build will be interested to see how your alternative cockpit painting goes. 

• Like 1

Cockpit components painted, weathered and ready for assembly.

gx_mtDkfuzzDueVsme_Gnu5zD26R_33CWlmVSXYm

UPEN5kL9txyc_z-99ql4Wbo2CFcTfrBdy07PiaTF

I have gone for quite strong weathering, as I think this will be hidden in quite a small cockpit aperture.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 3

So, progressing with this now.

I didn't think the "black basing/marbling approach" I used on the recent Falklands SHAR build would work with this paint scheme, especially with the IJN grey, so have gone for old school pre-shading...

drrE-aFcXQ_Hl4uRgvh-0WdT_KPljBWOLYvJ6dvt

Y1zESkESBNHNSMtSOBw5TvLwTj4CifpmjBnxNvUz

And today, after the paint layers of IJN Grey and upper green, this is where we are.  I have also added on the engine, but the prop still needs decaling, etc.  there is also a bit of scuffing/weathering at the wing roots to represent wear from boots..

5Murdl68fN7lMW59D47sJTK1Bs9kxd8ZOfvEgnJ7

DvGu5DD9eKSXUzAE4POOluNH449sbbrxOgP2huld

Next stage is gloss varnish, then decaling.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So, this is all done now.  I took some photos last night, but the flash appears a bit too harsh. so for once I have used natural light.  I might do this again (depending on the weather!)

cuWdrJuNzU2S-9VcZ5wIvZAL9mrygj_SLxKtleXW

cfoYvTacO5-3bPAW51miNOH_1e74FnDVI7XpwQ7d

v0J2SoQu06wVSqe1schmmhoaCtRFckaMvmSeRZCd

hmxcLZt7N2aXy59vjHv6KY-rJURvWZY8ltv-ihyJ

Thank you for all the advice.  Now off to the F-15 GB...

Icarus

• Like 7

• Icarus changed the title to W.O. Tetsuzo Iwanoto A6M2, Tamiya 1/48 scale, build OOB +COMPLETED+

Very nicely finished, well done on completing her!  :thumbsup:

She looks to have been a nice straightforward build, probably helped by it being another of Tamiya's wonderful 1/48th models.

You got a great finish on her, especially giving those large areas of a single colour some life and depth, nicely done.

I hope you enjoyed the build, it was great to have you along for it.

Thank you for the kind feedback @trickyrich - I am enjoying trying out marbling and black basing as well as using the old panel line pre-shading to try and add more depth to my paintwork.  Given the F-15E I am building over in the F-15 GB is a single colour, this will be really important there!

Icarus

• Like 1

On 01/08/2022 at 12:29, Icarus said:

so for once I have used natural light.  I might do this again (depending on the weather!)

natural light is the way to go if possible.  One point, the back of the prop blades was painted brown (IIRC) for anti glare purposes.

Neat build, come out really well

:goodjob:

Thank you Troy - that makes sense.  Will make the change to the prop blade rear faces,

Jackman - I made my own mix, using Alclad lacquers.  A mix of Airframe Aluminium then Hot Metal Blue - no science I'm afraid, just by eye.

Icarus

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1