Things I Have Discovered

Big Scuffer Al

Things I have discovered since restarting this modelling lark:

1. Superglue only sticks to 2 things; skin and anything it's not supposed to.

2. A bottle of Tamiya Extra Thin will only get knocked over if it's: a. Full and b. You leave the top unscrewed.

3. Your finger will unconsciously be drawn to the area of filler you've spent 10 minutes meticulously smoothing.

4. You can find every colour of paint under the sun except the one you're looking for. 

5. Cats like 'helping' by knocking bits off the cutting mat or getting sub-assemblies stuck in their fur.

6. The announcement of "dinner is ready" comes just as you have filled the airbrush cup.

7. Trying to place a microscopic piece into an even smaller locating hole will be interrupted by heavy breathing over your shoulder and the "what ya doing?" question, as the aforementioned piece pings out of the tweezers and sails across the room, never to be seen again.

8. The kit you really want is always out of stock.

9. Nightshift youtube videos are addictive 

10. You get some funny looks when browsing the makeup department in shops "these makeup brushes and nail sanding sticks are for my model making, honest" "Of course they are sir. Would you like a bag for your, ahem, modelling supplies"

• Like 4
  • Haha 18

As I am in charge of messing arrangements, No6 is about the only one that doesn't apply in our house. 

I would also add. 

Putting a tool or part down and not being able go find it. I did this the other night with a Number 5 Swann-Morton scalpel handle and it still hadn't shown up. 

You lose a small part, replicate or use another piece and the original shows up after  it has been added to the model. 

No matter how carefully you stop trying to get dust etc into a cockpit, it always shows up once the canopy is firmly attached. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

5 can be a bit variable: my late lovely Sweep was my dropped-bit-finder cat.  She was like a fluffy little pointer, putting her nose up to the dropped bit.  Her nephew; Maxwell, would just try to eat the dropped bits, regardless of whether or nor he'd been fed recently.

• Haha 4

In my experience, no cat will miss the chance of free food, provided it is of acceptable (ie highest) quality. Wilf came to us from vets after he had been living in a garden for three or so months. He had either been dumped or gone in a vehicle nd ended up lost. At the vets, he refused the dry food would only eat wet food, and on his first evening with us, was looking hopefully at the steaks Joe and I were eating. He recognises the word 'tuna'. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

You've missed out the offerings to the God of Sharp Items. Had several quite severe run ins with him/her.

The worst ones are when you've just finished a tricky decal and notice that there are blood smears all over it.

Then the more you try to clean up, the worse it gets.

Regards (and my prayers go with you)

Pete

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Again  no 6 doesn't  apply to me either but the interruption is No1 boy popping the head round the  door 'What's for dinner?'

Dammit why do children insist on being  fed 'every' day?

5 doesn't  apply either  because there is no cat but when there was one he would climb onto my lap and stare interestedly at my work. 

Great  fun.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Wilf shows no interest in my modelling activities. He will sometimes come and sit on me when I am modelling as it gives him  good vantage point to watch the aquarium. I think it is a bit like TV for him. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Pete Robin said:

You've missed out the offerings to the God of Sharp Items. Had several quite severe run ins with him/her.

The worst ones are when you've just finished a tricky decal and notice that there are blood smears all over it.

Pete

In that vein, I recently discovered that the worst time to drop a scalpel on my foot is just after I've fitted a new blade and I'm wearing flip-flops.

I may have to dig out my old Magnum boots, despite the heat. 

Be safe out there! 😉

• Haha 1

On 09/07/2022 at 20:00, Pete Robin said:

Pete

A colleague was taking part in the Nijmegen Marches a few years back. Being prepared (ex Grenadier), he had a scalpel in his first aid kit. 

It managed to loose its blade cover, work its way to the bottom of the kit, cut through the pouch and stab him in the fundament...

• Like 1

On 7/9/2022 at 7:08 PM, treker_ed said:

@Mr T I am also responsible for all messing arrangements in my household (and mess in the household😄) so those words do not appear until I decide the hour!

I should also add that I'm allowed to say that by permission of the household manager... Also known as SWMBO!!!:worthy:

• Haha 1

1. Newtonian gravity doesn't work at the bench, parts will defy gravity when pinging off and end up farther than you could ever predict and if you put anything on your lap no matter how still you sit they will end on the floor violently 

2. Adding to the OP's No1 Superglue doesn't dry instantly when holding up a part but does when sticking a part to the finger 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SoftScience said:

If you drop a canopy, it will land directly in the path of the wheels of your office chair as you roll it back to get on the ground to look for it. 

yes I've learned that lesson the hard way. Now I am very careful to keep the chair exactly where it is so I can stand up and step on the canopy instead

Cheers

Colin

• Haha 9

On 7/11/2022 at 2:46 PM, PhantomBigStu said:

Adding to the OP's No1 Superglue doesn't dry instantly when holding up a part but does when sticking a part to the finger 

Because Superglue was invented to stick skin together, especially in plastic surgery to reduce scarring (which is why suturing was rarely used on faces s it will often scar). Cyanoacrylates work in part by using moisture, from the skin in this case, to help create the bond. Very clever science, but sometimes  pain in the bottom, especially if you sit on a tube of the stuff. I found some de-bonder the other day and wondering if it still work. Not planning on finding out. 

• Like 5