Thin fragile decals

brinjal

This is an Academy kit im working on. It disintegrates and curls up itself on the edges by being just inside the water. Once it dries a bit it breaks. It is so think that the white still has the shade of the color on the plane. Thankfully i can paint these invasion stripes myself. 

But im hesitant to move forward with other decals. I soak all my decals in warm water. Would like to know if there is a special method to treat these kind of decals before applying?

spacer.png

Are you sure you are not oversoaking the decals?

I usually do a quick dip in cold water and then let it rest on a paper towel.

Still I had torn this particular decal on an Airfix model and they produce one of least fragile decals I have... I did the puzzlework on mine since I was feeling it is a good excercise.

15 minutes ago, brinjal said:

. . . Would like to know if there is a special method to treat these kind of decals before applying?

If you suspect the decals might break up, coat them with 'Liquid Decal Film' made by Microscale

• Like 2

Also, this is my personal lesson learned from old decals: I make extra high resolution scans of them before using. If oopsie happens I have a backup I can print out on decal sheet and use as either a spare decal or a reference if the decal is too transparent.

But I know that if your decal broke this suggestion is like suggesting insurance after your house got hit by meteorite...

7 hours ago, Casey said:

Are you sure you are not oversoaking the decals?

I usually do a quick dip in cold water and then let it rest on a paper towel.

Nope. Unless you count 15 seconds as long. I do these decals as i did on my previous ones. 

I'll try this cold water method. Thanks. 

Update - the cold water dip method works. I dip around 5 seconds, a couple of times. And then it comes off ok. Still too thin, but not as soft, and not as wretched / wrinkled. At least still salvageable. 

Thanks

• Like 2

If no-one has mentioned it before, I would really recommend using Micro Scale's "Decal Film". Brush one one or two coats, let it fully dry and then use the decals as normal. For old / fragile / delicate decals, it really helps hold things together.

Hope this helps. 

Chris.  

Edited by spruecutter96
Correcting a typo.
  • Like 2