Valiant B2 kits?

TeaWeasel

Hannant's shows two versions of the conversion kit, one in resin, the other with 3D printing.  Both are listed as future releases.  I built it the first time around.  Used a lot of epoxy to join parts and as filler.  Still turned out pretty nice. 

Later,

Dave

5 hours ago, e8n2 said:

Hannant's shows two versions of the conversion kit, one in resin, the other with 3D printing.  Both are listed as future releases.  I built it the first time around.  Used a lot of epoxy to join parts and as filler.  Still turned out pretty nice. 

Later,

Dave

42 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Neil recently announced his retirement, whether the brand continues or not, we will see.

Ah I didn't see the 3D print version on there. Have any updates been posted recently? I'm not familiar with the in's and out's of the smaller manufacturers so wouldn't know where to look. 

This is the first I have heard of my retirement - I had a spell in hospital, but there are still many models I would like to see.  In fact all three of us had problems of one kind or another.

High on the list is a 3D printed version of the Valiant B2 conversion.

We have just delivered another batch of models to Hannants, and the next delivery should be in August, but that is a kit equal to the Argus in complexity.

Edited by tnuag
correction
  • Like 10

Just as a heads-up, here are some of the forthcoming evolving models:

FLYING BEDSTEAD

You can add so much more detail with CAD and 3D printing.

spacer.png

747 MULTI-VARIANT (YES 1:72)

spacer.png

AEC MANDATOR

This kit has now gone through three iterations in design, but is now finally in test build, prior to delivery,

spacer.png

Retirement - not likely.....

I find that I get as much pleasure out of my CAD as I did in the days of physical modelling. Mainly because we can produce pretty much anything which appeals - a nice situation to have.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

It appears I owe Neil a big heartfelt apology for spreading false information.

From somewhere, I had read that he was having to stop production due to ill health - I am very pleased to hear that is NOT the case at all.

I like many of you would have been very disappointed had this been the case.

Please accept my grovelling apology for inferring you were in any shape or form infirm or incapacitated, and please keep up your amazing work.

Humbly

Frank

@tnuag

• Like 1

18 hours ago, tnuag said:

This is the first I have heard of my retirement - I had a spell in hospital, but there are still many models I would like to see.  In fact all three of us had problems of one kind or another.

High on the list is a 3D printed version of the Valiant B2 conversion.

We have just delivered another batch of models to Hannants, and the next delivery should be in August, but that is a kit equal to the Argus in complexity.

Hi Neil, thanks for getting in touch and glad to hear it's all going well.

Very interested in the Valiant B2 set, do you have a rough idea of when we can expect it, or would it be August as you mentioned previously?

On 7/11/2022 at 5:34 PM, tnuag said:

Yes eventually - design is done, but 3D is a slow production process. the quality and possible detail justify using it however.

Yay!!

I just uploaded a photo of my finished Valiant B.2 and an OA-37 for size comparison.  Per the instructions, all of the decals received a coat of MicroFilm first before being applied.  The left side fin flash didn't want to fit over the vortex generators very well so I went over those with Xtracolour Roundel Red.  At the wing joint to the fuselage where the red paint is you can just make out the rear of the fuselage extension piece.  It took several months to get it done but I was very satisfied with the finished product.  It will never win in a contest, but I build for me and not contests so my opinion is the only one that counts on that matter!  I also installed seamless intakes at the same time which created extra work over and above the normal conversion, but on big planes like that, it is worth the effort.

Valiant B.2 & OA-37A 01

Later,

Dave

• Like 7

On 7/14/2022 at 6:11 AM, e8n2 said:

I just uploaded a photo of my finished Valiant B.2 and an OA-37 for size comparison

Very nice to see a finished model - congratulations.

15 hours ago, tnuag said:

Very nice to see a finished model - congratulations.

Danke Schön.  No, I'm not German, but I know a little so like to throw it in every so often.  Hopefully the 3D printed one will not require as much filler as I needed on mine.  The seamless intakes I used came from Alley Cat IIRC.

Later,

Dave

• 1 month later...

A brief update  2nd September 2022

Mandator: We are doing final tests of the articulation, and some parts have been produced. This is a complicated model, but the chassis and cab look beautiful (to my eyes!). There has been a lot of experimentation, and the reason it has taken so long is that design was finished and masters made, then the Elegoo Mars and 3D printing came along and so I started all over again.

Valiant B2 conversion: The conversion is being redesigned for 3D printing, and we are doing the 1:144 version first. The fuselage plug is done, and next comes the wing pods. The main undercarriage will be built in ABS like resin, and each leg will be a single part, giving better realism, and it will now include the early and late main wheels.

Dragon A-10 rearming trolley: We have just obtained some dimensions from the USA, to make sure the scale is accurate.

Beech T-1 Jayhawk: Just about finished, following very promising build of a clear cockpit canopy.

747-all variants: This is an ongoing project, intended for when the Jupiter 3D printer arrives.

Blackburn Blackburn: A new batch of 1:72 (and possibly 1:48) is being produced.

Historic Wings kits: We have delivered the revised Goddard Rocket in 1:72 and 1:48. This includes a specially commissioned figure of Dr Goddard, and the sculptor has captured the photo very well. The intention is to bring back all the kits but as 3D printed rather than photo etch.

General comments

1 - we never give planned delivery dates, because too many things can cause delays. My standard answer - watch/subscribe to the Hannants Hot News sheet, to know when the kits arrive.

2 - with 3D printing, it is possible to drastically reduce the parts count, and the Blackburn proved that you can do both the wings and the inter-plane struts as a single part, making a biplane as simple to build as a monoplane.

Edited by tnuag
correct typo
  • Like 6