Spang Weasel, and maybe another Phantom too

I fancied putting the HARM missiles out on the outer pylons.  I assumed these pylons would be the shape of the Sargent Fletcher tanks

Rt65Vsf.jpg

So out with the plasticard and started making them up.  The rails came with the kit

2BTuyI5.jpg

Lots to hang on the underside.  Better get a flat coat on and then they can all go on

R9vNp8l.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/19/2022 at 3:58 AM, bar side said:

What about F-4G load out?  I see a lot of models with Sargent Fletcher tanks on the outer pylons.  But photos seem to suggest 3 Aim7s, ALQ pod, 4 Aim9s and two AGM88 HARMs on the outer pylons?  Plus centre line tank. This one seems to have Aim9s only on one side and something else on the other side.

50392011171_ae91f9a646_c.jpg

The F model will be a bit more basic, Fletcher tanks, 4 Aim7s and 4 Aim9s, maybe centre line tank too

I kind of lost track of these builds for a while. You’re moving pretty quickly through them.  Looks like the G in the photo might be going to, or returning from, an airshow static display. In the photo you see HARMs, 2 AIM-9Ps and a travel pod on the right inboard, ALQ-131 ECM pod in the left forward AIM-7 well, left inboard has the AGM-45 Shrike (predecessor to the HARM), and the McDonnell-Douglas High Speed centerline tank. It does not look like there are any AIM-7s in the aft wells. 

This is not a “typical” load, but is interesting. 

Both jets are looking great. Love the lights.  I’m terrible with electronics and soldering so I would not try this myself. 

• Like 1

Flat coat sprayed and pylons etc attached.  Bit of a problem with the flat coat though.  I sprayed it with a rattle can in a cold garage and it has puddled and run a little. Watermarks on the wing root, outer wing & base of the tail.  Tempted to get something on there to take those away and touch up the matt coat indoors in a day or so.  Just the AGM-88s to go on the scratch outer pylons

4gxSSDd.jpg

Tonight’s bits - painting the second set of seats.  They still need the top handles making, fitting & painting.  Was going to make some in winter rather than try the resin bits again

8DglBsf.jpg

Managed to fix the watermarks left by the first matt coat.  I kept the rattle cans in and warmed it up and sprayed indoors.  It dried better and sorted out the problem.  It’s getting too cold & damp to spray in the garage without a heater.

Vr9BOG4.jpg

So the AGM-88s are fitted. They may hang a little low but it could be ok

VJFwXtU.jpg

So i think the Weasel is about done.  More to do to finish the F model - more stencil decals to go, finish and fit the seats and finish and add the weapon load. But I think the end is in sight.  Then I need to set up and do photos with the dioramas.

• Like 2

Got out some friends today to meet the new builds.  My two German Phantoms - RF-4E and F-4F

YGV5bFW.jpg

And the partner in crime to the Spang Weasel, the F-16C

oZ6XydZ.jpg

I had a look at an idea I had for lights in photos and tried this.  Looks ok for a start

nIjCGro.jpg

The F model is still getting some stencils on, and the seats got their over head handles.  Just need to paint them now

cdwco4v.jpg

• Like 4

Seat handles have been finished off so both Phantoms have seats.  The F model has had some more stencils added & I think I will call the, done.  Weapons are coming together.

hH8ND3N.jpg

The centre line tank is getting primer, mainly to cover up the mounting slot.  The whole thing needs a flat coat and will be about done.

I was going to use intake FOD covers and rbf tags, but they wouldn’t really be on if the lights are working, so I will see.

• Like 3