Spang Weasel, and maybe another Phantom too

Cheers @Lord Riot!  Of course they don’t match the scheme I have sprayed, so I will have a look and see if it’s worth some modifications.  I think I have only previously seen one picture of 247, but I have the decals to do a few different tail numbers.  They seem quite elusive in Euro One paint for specific numbers

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

I found these of 247, if they’re any help?

84948-DE5-B1-D0-4-F9-A-A2-C0-BFCEDC518-C

B6-E1-B716-BB2-C-4-A96-9-BC1-31-ED2533-C

Just checking the side view to what I have and it’s kind of similar.  I might wrap the bright green around the nose a bit more but otherwise I think it’s staying as it is.  Might go for 244 or 250 for a bit of variety

• Like 1

Last bit of primer covered with paint.  Touchup needed in lots of spots but a successful weekend of spraying

xdgMSKH.jpg

aNJr2Ia.jpg

The tail horizontals are done too, just not in the photos.  After touch up the nose goes black and the cockpit & exhaust masking can come off

• Like 4

Touch up done - well I thought so.  There is a suspicious light patch on the spine in this picture that looks like I need to check it in daylight.  But masking off & sat on her wheels with the unpainted canopy balanced on

uxzjeV8.jpg

Better idea of how she looks.  I need now to cut the seats off the resin base.  I am very tempted to hand paint the canopy as the paint can be sprayed or hand painted.  Once the undercarriage is glued in I can get the bay doors done & she will be almost ready for decals

izM5yXB.jpg

Edited by bar side
  • Like 3

Bits still getting done.  Strange light spot on the paint fixed, wheels glued in place & struts fitted, exhausts fitted.  Wheel bay doors painted hopefully to go on tomorrow.

Jslo5IN.jpg

The F model has the sidewinder pylons & rails painted.  Fletcher tanks painted & missiles given a coat of white

• Like 3

Weasel has its wheel bay doors on.  Started on the canopy paint now.  The F model has had the Sargent Fletcher tanks test fitted along with the Aim-9 rails

K6zlkwg.jpg

Quick shot of the crew in the F model.  They are removable so that they can sit in either while the lights are on & engine blanks out.  But can be taken out when parked up with FID covers & rbf tags

w9wplku.jpg

• Like 4

On 11/6/2022 at 1:37 AM, bar side said:

Cheers @Lord Riot!  Of course they don’t match the scheme I have sprayed, so I will have a look and see if it’s worth some modifications.  I think I have only previously seen one picture of 247, but I have the decals to do a few different tail numbers.  They seem quite elusive in Euro One paint for specific numbers

Don't sweat a slight perceived mismatch.  It is really hard to get these colors to look like what you see in photos.  Even in real life, depending on the sun intensity and angle, the colors varied.  You are on the right track.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mark V said:

Don't sweat a slight perceived mismatch.  It is really hard to get these colors to look like what you see in photos.  Even in real life, depending on the sun intensity and angle, the colors varied.  You are on the right track.  

I’m not going to worry about it much.  It’s really the wrong time of year to do a scheme like this. You need good daylight to se what you are doing as they are close tones.  The F model is a slight ‘what if’ scheme as I know she wore the white patched & splinter camo, but the tail was seen on others but I don’t have a reference for her specifically.  Looking forward to seeing the decals go on the Weasel as that should accentuate the camo scheme

Been painting the canopy frame - have to say it’s easier with a brush than a rattle can.  Not done the inside paint so not attached, just loose sitting on

SyyJUaz.jpg

As Weasels had no gun, did they have a gunsight?

• Like 3

Nothing more happening today on the builds.  Going out out with Mrs Barside for a change!  Can’t imagine she would ever like being called that!  Although I did once take her to the footie & stood in the Barside.  Not her favourite afternoon of all time however.

But a quick chance to see the colours on the two in daylight

oVIZCfv.jpg

uKOCpwo.jpg

rgN48LT.jpg

The light really isn’t bright enough but still better than artificial light

• Like 5

So yesterday tried a bit of axe throwing - quite good fun!  Shame they don’t let you drink & throw but I guess they have their reasons…

HO9FVNV.jpg

Back to a few little jobs today.  Fitted the gunsight

jQIhtXd.jpg

Canopy inside painted and fitted

q1sl7UI.jpg

And a broken & missing canopy hinge on the F model replaced

4C8c6Oj.jpg

Bit fiddly but done

• Like 3

Think that’s all the decals on the Weasel now.  I put in the seats & crew from the F model as they will be the same, I just haven’t started painting up the second set of seats yet

xpTvRFo.jpg

Gp093HP.jpg

The whole thing needs a flat coat when everything is properly dry & settled down.  Then I need to do the weapons load out.

The F model still needs some more stencil decals and a flat coat plus weapons, but here are the two together

rwF4p3D.jpg

• Like 5

Mate,

Do love a Phantom, I really like the Spang jet in particualar.

On a totally un-related subject, noticed tonight that U's games can be streamed a tenner a time until the start of Jan on the club website.  Might give that a crack tomorrow.  They gotta

win some time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PLC1966 said:

Mate,

Do love a Phantom, I really like the Spang jet in particualar.

On a totally un-related subject, noticed tonight that U's games can be streamed a tenner a time until the start of Jan on the club website.  Might give that a crack tomorrow.  They gotta

win some time.

Cheers.  You would think they must, wouldn’t you?  Must try to get there for a game at some point.

• Like 1

What about F-4G load out?  I see a lot of models with Sargent Fletcher tanks on the outer pylons.  But photos seem to suggest 3 Aim7s, ALQ pod, 4 Aim9s and two AGM88 HARMs on the outer pylons?  Plus centre line tank. This one seems to have Aim9s only on one side and something else on the other side.

50392011171_ae91f9a646_c.jpg

The F model will be a bit more basic, Fletcher tanks, 4 Aim7s and 4 Aim9s, maybe centre line tank too

• Like 1

Getting the weapon load together.  If I put the HARM missiles on the outer pylons I am going to have to make up some new pylons.  The kit only considers fitting Sargent Fletchers to the outer positions.

eoq8HZI.jpg

The light was going so I took her outside to see how the lights look.  Should have waited until was a bit darker I think!

en2yMFq.jpg

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bar side said:

So @PLC1966 they only went & beat Doncaster 3-0 today!  The only way is up I guess!

LOL, I did not see that coming.  Tried to watch on the Website but it wouldn't let me which is a bit of a shame.  But yep, only way is up.  Come May, third from bottom having knocked Ipswich of the League Cup away from home might be as good as it gets.  

No load out but I had a few minutes & the HAS is still in the garage so I quickly set it up.  You can see the battery & wires behind, but I will hide that better in the future

y9AYYvo.jpg

OQf6Inq.jpg

ByemRKy.jpg

• Like 3