Trumpeter AS-90 with Eduard Photoetch & RB Model Barrel

After many years of gradually building my skills up I've decided to step somewhat out of my comfort zone and start going for weathering and aftermarket parts rather than building a Tamiya kit as directed. I've also invested in a proper airbrush so this is my first kit with that. 

I thought the best thing to do would be to use the oldest and cheapest model in my stash to do that with so the Trumpeter AS-90 has been chosen. I didn't get any early stage pictures but thought I'd start from this point onwards. 

spacer.png

The overall hull at this point. I've painted the bottom of the hull and the wheels but not the top yet

spacer.png

Using some Vallejo weathering paints I've tried to get a bit of road grime onto the running gear. I'll do the wheels later.

spacer.png

The front mudguard from the Eduard etch kit. This is my first time using this sort of aftermarket etches so any advice willingly received. I'm not entirely sure how to bend the etches to meet on the corner as they do on the real thing. 

spacer.png

The rear mudguards. I'm pretty happy with how these have turned out, bar the odd glue splotch but some paint will help hide that.

Like I say this is my first kit with serious amounts of etching so its lots of learning. Any advice and maybe even a tiny bit of praise would be nice!

• Like 12

Got this one in the stash and probably next on the bench after I finish the Valentine Archer so will follow with interest if I may?

Stay safe     Roger

A few more days progress, slowly, with a lot of folding small detail parts. 

spacer.png

The turret has started to come together. Not some of my best folding but hopefully paint and some weathering will hide the worst of it. Although I've just noticed in the photo the awful state of that front ammo box, the filler will need to be used to fix that. My defense is they didn't seem to fit together all that well anyway. In fact that box looks awful, bugger. 

spacer.png

Hull with its front detail parts added. 

These photos are not doing making me look competent and I'm quite irritated and want to go away and hide 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, TheEdge said:

These photos are not doing making me look competent and I'm quite irritated and want to go away and hide 

I know the feeling well - but keep at it and you'll surprise yourself at how good it turns out. In reality armour gets all bent out of shape and often looks very different to how it came out of the factory.

And there's always mud to camouflage a multitude of stuff.................................

• Like 3

Well, I suppose I'd better get the NATO green out. And the many bottles of weathering product behind. Ignore the Yankee candles. 

spacer.png

That RB Model barrel truly is a thing of beauty and probably adds more to the model then then entire Eduard pack. It may be messy round the edges but this one was the first kit after a long break and is being used to get my eye back in and blow the cobwebs off my skills. 

Now time to get the airbrush out for this.

And also make eyes towards either the RFM Challenger 2 TES or Revell PzH2000 in the stash...

• Like 7

Well, everyone lower your expectations. 

I'm reminding everyone this is my first model painted with an airbrush and my skills are still in their infancy. That being said here comes my first awful attempt at pre-shading having watched a few guides.

spacer.png

Still a bit shaky but trying to follow edges and panel lines. 

spacer.png

I think I'd mixed the paint up too thin leading to those awful splats. I'll improve with practice.

spacer.png

Well this side of the turret looks almost acceptable bar that one tool box where the splat got me.

spacer.png

The less said about that hatch the better...

Well, at least I can only get better. 

• Like 5

On 7/15/2022 at 5:39 PM, TheEdge said:

The less said about that hatch the better...

If the paint blob is too raised some judicious sanding with a fine abrasive might rub it flat. The top coat would then be smooth.

Thanks all

All in all under the first coat I don't think its come out too bad. Time to start adding some black camo patten and picking out some details next. Then the weathering! 

spacer.png

• Like 6

I've done something incredibly stupid and wondered if anyone could help or has some advice. 

I entirely forgot to attach (what I think are) the casings for the drivetrain to the back of the drive sprockets. I only noticed today while looking at photos of AS-90s for camp patterns that my model was missing them. Annoyingly I've already thrown away the sprues thinking anything left were simply parts replaced by etching and sadly didn't realise. 

What are Trumpeter like for getting spare parts? Or can anyone think of another source of suitable part?

A last resort - miliput or plastic card? Depends what sort of complexity and detail you need to reproduce - and the available information on size and shape of these items.

On 22/07/2022 at 12:16, echen said:

A last resort - miliput or plastic card? Depends what sort of complexity and detail you need to reproduce - and the available information on size and shape of these items.

I was thinking that but my concern is I've noticed so late in the build that with all the etchings its quite delicate.

My fear is all the manipulation and then trying to affix a bodged part is going to cause more harm than good. Might just chalk it up to experience and move on. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheEdge said:

Might just chalk it up to experience and move on. 

Sounds like a wise move. It would be a shame to damage what looks like a really good build.

I've accepted my mistake at the front and moved on with the camo pattern (although looking at photos of AS-90s thats a very generous term...) I've tried to base this mostly of a load of photos I found online of an AS-90 at Tankfest but then added a handful of extra transfers based off a few other photos. Happy with how its looking at the moment. I'm aware of the missing mirror, got snapped off by my clumsy hands, one of the reasons I've chosen to ignore the missing parts. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Time to weather and maybe be brave enough to put in the completed section...

• Like 4