A Morning with the ROKAF Black Eagles at Boscombe Down

Latinbear

This morning I was privileged to join a group of other photographers at Boscombe Down where the ROKAF Black Eagles team have been based since their arrival here a few weeks ago. 

We watched the pilots crew up, taxy out and return from their display at Southport. Next week they'll be displaying at RIAT and Farnborough before travelling to Poland and then flying home giving displays in various countries along the way.

A huge thank you to Dougie and the rest of the team at Boscombe and Richard Cooper at the Centre for Aviation Photography for organising this event. Not least an equally huge thank you to the ROKAF air and ground personnel for giving us such a friendly welcome.

A1A_6300 (2)

AAA_1880 (2)

AAA_1899 (2)

AAA_1889 (2)

AAA_1890 (2)

AAA_1875 (2)

A1A_6310 (2)

AAA_1914 (2)

AAA_1958 (2)

AAA_1971 (2)

AAA_1984 (2)

AAA_1998 (2)

AAA_2002 (2)

AAA_2009 (2)

AAA_2022 (2)

A1A_6328 (2)

A1A_6408 (2)

That's it! Thanks for looking. 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Scimitar F1 said:

Great photos - looks like a good event!

Thanks Will. Yes it was enjoyable and as the team was last here in 2012 (I didn't see them then) a real treat, especially the access that we had. 

On 7/9/2022 at 10:28 AM, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Lovely set! We must have been very close to each other for the crewing up shots!

We must have been. I was wearing a high viz jacket 😁.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Riksbar said:

I saw them at the other end, at Southport. A great display.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing them at RIAT this Saturday. A friend of mine who saw them when they were last here reckons they are the best aerobatic team he has seen.

• Like 1

A lovely and unique set of shots Latinbear and a real taster for their appearance at RIAT next weekend.  Thanks for sharing.

Mark

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, John Tapsell said:

Really nice group of photos. The Black Eagles are good hosts. They did a similar thing at Waddington in 2012 which I had the privilege of attending. You had better weather than us :)

John

Thank you for the kind words John. The team seemed genuinely pleased to see us and very generously gave each of us two glorious posters of their aircraft displaying along with a postcard sized version and a lapel badge. We were incredibly fortunate with the weather and hope that the good run continues on through this week and next weekend for RIAT. 

2 minutes ago, canberraman said:

A lovely and unique set of shots Latinbear and a real taster for their appearance at RIAT next weekend.  Thanks for sharing.

Mark

Thank you Mark, it's very nice of you to say so. I felt very fortunate indeed to be able to be there. 

8 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

A great set of photos Latinbear, thank you for posting, it sounds like you had a great day.🙂

Colin

Thank you Colin. Yes, it was very enjoyable indeed. Well organised and great access combined with the friendliness of the ROKAF personnel all came together to make a very memorable occasion. 

Smashing photos there.  Really nice and good to see the pilots line up especially as we saw them display at RIAT yesterday.  A very tight and dynamic routine and extended in time.  The general consensus among people we spoke to was that their display was head and shoulders above the display of the other teams.  That's not to knock the others but just to express appreciation of the Korean pilots.  I wonder if the aircraft they use assists in the display design given that its not wholly a trainer type and possibly outperforms the types used by say the Red Arrows and the Frecci?  

2 hours ago, JohnT said:

Smashing photos there.  Really nice and good to see the pilots line up especially as we saw them display at RIAT yesterday.  A very tight and dynamic routine and extended in time.  The general consensus among people we spoke to was that their display was head and shoulders above the display of the other teams.  That's not to knock the others but just to express appreciation of the Korean pilots.  I wonder if the aircraft they use assists in the display design given that its not wholly a trainer type and possibly outperforms the types used by say the Red Arrows and the Frecci?  

Thank you for the kind words John, it was a nice ending to the display for the team to line up and salute. They did it a number of times, not only to satisfy us but also the Boscombe resident photographer and their own team photographer too! Not evident in the image is that the national flag unfurls as the canopy opens which I think is a really nice touch.

I saw their display for the first time on Saturday at RIAT and was very impressed indeed. Not only a long display but also innovative too with the piece de resistance for me being the creation of the national flag by two of the team. The only thing that I have seen that comes close is the six pointed star created by the JASDF's Blue Impulse which is one of my favourite teams. Like you, I heard nothing but approval from the people around me and well deserved it was too. I don't know about the assists but perhaps somebody on BM might know?  

1 hour ago, Latinbear said:

Thank you for the kind words John, it was a nice ending to the display for the team to line up and salute. They did it a number of times, not only to satisfy us but also the Boscombe resident photographer and their own team photographer too! Not evident in the image is that the national flag unfurls as the canopy opens which I think is a really nice touch.

I saw their display for the first time on Saturday at RIAT and was very impressed indeed. Not only a long display but also innovative too with the piece de resistance for me being the creation of the national flag by two of the team. The only thing that I have seen that comes close is the six pointed star created by the JASDF's Blue Impulse which is one of my favourite teams. Like you, I heard nothing but approval from the people around me and well deserved it was too. I don't know about the assists but perhaps somebody on BM might know?  

yes Mrs T loved the creation of their national flag and the other parts of their display. I thought someone has said “now how do you improve on the Red Arrows?”  Laurels to be looked at methinks but the Reds need more support from HMG or at least to have a more appreciative view of what they do. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JohnT said:

yes Mrs T loved the creation of their national flag and the other parts of their display. I thought someone has said “now how do you improve on the Red Arrows?”  Laurels to be looked at methinks but the Reds need more support from HMG or at least to have a more appreciative view of what they do. 

Agreed! I guess the test of HMG's support for the Arrows will come in the run-up to the retirement of their Hawks in 2030. 

• Like 1

Fantastic shots and opportunity.

Like you, I saw them fly at RIAT on Saturday, and they were the stars of the show. So dynamic, energetic and entertaining, dare I say it they made the Reds look staid and boring in comparison! Part of that may be more capable equipment, but they use it very effectively.

34 minutes ago, robstopper said:

Fantastic shots and opportunity.

Like you, I saw them fly at RIAT on Saturday, and they were the stars of the show. So dynamic, energetic and entertaining, dare I say it they made the Reds look staid and boring in comparison! Part of that may be more capable equipment, but they use it very effectively.

Thanks for the kind words regarding the images Rob, much appreciated. Part of the disenchantment with the Reds may be familiarity? We've all seen them soooo many times but it does seem that this season's offering, particularly with seven aircraft, just isn't doing it.  Other than for special formations I gave up taking shots of them a long time ago. 

oh, don't get me wrong, the Reds are still impressive, and part of the national establishment, but seeing the Black Eagles was just on a whole other level. Definitely doesn't help only flying 7 of 9 (wasnt that a Star Trek character? 😅) but maybe its time to re-energise the team with some lessons from the Koreans?