1/350 Prince of Wales

To go alongside the Merchant ship conversion I'm doing is HMS Prince of Wales. This is Tamiya kit, so far with Eduard PE. Crew figures are from North Star.

I wont repeat the story of what's going on here, that's in my other thread. Short version is this is PoW calling in at Gibraltar after her short stint with Force H in the med in September '41.

Not a whole lot to show here so far but I guess every build log has to start somewhere :D

WIN_20220708_14_34_07_Pro.jpg

I've done a bit of assembly and some prep work.

Roughly how the two will be positioned
WIN_20220708_14_37_13_Pro.jpg

The kit's fine, a little tidying up of injection mould lines. Not massively detailed but that's fine as I'll be adding in what I can from the PE kits and some scratch build if I need to.

I would dearly love to add wooden decking (I know, I really should have made this choice before I assembled and base coated) and some detail parts from Micro Master or Blackcat...but I also like to set a deadline and budget for these things or they drag on forever. Sadly I'm already at £250 of my £350 budget for the whole diorama and I still need to get resin and a perspex case cover. So we'll see ... once I get further down the line I might decide to stretch my budget a bit and get some resin pom-poms and deck detailing sets.

I am planning on having a lot of crew figures in this one, maybe around 200, engaged in various activities. Transferring stores from the merchant, off duty crew relaxing forward of the A gun, re-embarking after going ashore at the stern, servicing the Walrus and various other maintenance tasks as the mood takes me. Many of the small boats will also be in the water.

• Like 5

Hi, I don't know if interested, but HMS Prince of Wales was wearing the Admiralty Disruptive Pattern camouflage in September. It was applied after the Denmark Strait action repairs were completed at Rosyth in July 1941, and she was filmed off Gibraltar (in colour!) wearing the camouflage in August. It remained in place until she was sunk in December. Also, the lower hull is now known to have been grey.

@Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies
Thanks. I knew she was in disruptive pattern at the time. Do you mean she was grey below the waterline? because I did not know that :D

I'll have to find that footage, as that sounds like her on the way to join force H and I've not actually seen her in colour. I am doing her on the evening of the 30th September before she sailed for Scapa flow on the 1st October.

I must say, I'm so grateful to the help I'm receiving on these forums. This is a pretty intimidating project for me and I don't think I could do it justice without the pointers I've had.

I'm a bit torn about how to paint the crew (though that is still several weeks away). She's about to cross between two theatres with different uniform codes (Med and Atlantic) and also depicted on the date the RN changed it's uniforms from summer to winter. Currently I am thinking I will do a mixture of white Mediterranean uniforms and blue Atlantic ones as men coming onto watch are dressed differently from those who have been on watch during the day. 

Edit : I should add I normally Z paint my projects during assembly as I have Glaucoma and am nearly blind in one eye, it helps me see depth when I cam working close to the model. I re-paint it afterward to be more accurate.

Edited by TomTango
Clarity

I think Jamie means the anti fouling paint was grey.

As to the crew...

Don't know. But if I was the Captain I'd want to enter port with everyone in the same rig for ceremonies etc.

Tom

9 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Hi, I don't know if interested, but HMS Prince of Wales was wearing the Admiralty Disruptive Pattern camouflage in September. It was applied after the Denmark Strait action repairs were completed at Rosyth in July 1941, and she was filmed off Gibraltar (in colour!) wearing the camouflage in August. It remained in place until she was sunk in December. Also, the lower hull is now known to have been grey.

Given PoW's daily movements after completing post-Bismarck repairs and adopting the disruptive camouflage scheme in July 1941, by my calculations the bit of colour film at Gibraltar can only have been filmed on 24th September, 30th September or 1st October. The sun angle/possible shadow of camera ship suggests late in the day so looking at PoW's timings of arrival and departure (crew are lined up on deck in whites) perhaps 30th is most likely? This would tally with a possible identity of the camera ship.  

Edited by dickrd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1