1982 Revell Stearman Kaydet 1/72 scale

I bought this kit recently in the excellent North East Model Centre near Durham. 

20220630_102348.jpg

20220630_102422.jpg

20220630_102521.jpg

The kit only has one scheme is yellow with red and blue.

I'm not sure that the wheels in this drawing are right though :) 

20220630_102508.jpg

• Like 6

I started this a few days ago but my photo hosting wasn't working. Now I've found an alternative, I can post all the photos.

20220703_082718.jpg

I started with some cockpit colour and aluminium colour for the engine. The cockpit is totally sparse. There is no IP so I decided a little detail is needed.

20220706_073159.jpg

I made the IP from thin plastic sheet. I painted it black and then drilled into it to reveal the white plastic.  Another dab of blank paint and it looked enough like a IP through the hole in the fuselage.

I also added some seatbelts too.

The wings have really bad injection marks which I've been slowly filling.

20220706_073202.jpg

20220706_073154.jpg

The underneath made me smile. I can to sand away the words "Revell 1982" from the underside of the wing.

20220706_073210.jpg

A quick spray of primer and it is ready for some more filling.

20220707_071355.jpg

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Richard Tucker said:

I'm not sure that the wheels in this drawing are right though :) 

If you're doing an old trainer they're close enough. If you want to do a restored aircraft a lot of owners use P-51 wheels and tires. Thats what I opted for with my last build of this kit. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Good choice and progress Richard,never built this kit before.

Likewise - one of the very few from that 1960's series of releases I never bought.

Pete

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PeterB said:

Likewise - one of the very few from that 1960's series of releases I never bought.

This set me thinking Pete,I think out of those 60/70's releases only this and the Chiaka were ones I don't recall building from their single engine fighters 

including the WW1 kits.The Spitfire and 109 were against the Law not to build of course.Anyway back to Richard for the rest of the build..............

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

This set me thinking Pete,I think out of those 60/70's releases only this and the Chiaka were ones I don't recall building from their single engine fighters 

including the WW1 kits.The Spitfire and 109 were against the Law not to build of course.Anyway back to Richard for the rest of the build..............

HI Steve,

Know what you mean. I had thought that the PT-17 was the only WWI/WWII one I had not built until I saw your P-39. Problem is I and a school friend often bought and built the kits together, but whereas I kept mine, his usually went on a one way trip out of his bedroom window within a few days! Now I can't remember if I ever did build their Zero - I think I did but maybe it was David not me.

As you say - back to Richard!

Pete

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 4:33 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

If you're doing an old trainer they're close enough.

I was more meaning that they looked like they were at different angles as the drawing was terrible! :) 

• Like 1

I've done quite a bit more on this over the last few days and have really enjoyed it. It is most unlike me when doing a biplane.

20220709_081216.jpg

I started with the walkways and tail.

Everything got a couple of coats of Yellow.

20220710_071619.jpg

I decided that while I had improved the sink marks, I didn't have the skill to sand them flush and keep the wing ribbing so I've made them less pronounced.

• Like 12

• 3 weeks later...

I have this kit in the stash-  your thread inspired me to go find it and get it out.  I looked at the parts, and thought “Uggh” — those ejector pin craters are huge!    

I decided to do the old Sopwith camel instead- it is from the same era, also re- released in the first decade of this century, with a 1981 copyright on the kit.

If I finish the Camel in time, I may move to the Stearman next….

In the meantime,  I’ll just enjoy following your build!

Good Progress Richard,I missed in your first post where you'd bought the kit,that's my LMS I'm only a mile away so very handy but not on the wallet!

• Like 1

Great progress!

Sun glasses will be required to look at the finished model.

Have fun!

jr

Just found this thread, a great choice Richard.

I did my Stearman as Capricorn One,  I've added U-tube links for most of the quotes now.

My kit pre-dated the 1982 stamp, had the same mounding marks. 

The kit wheels look terrible, replaced with something from my spares - quite possibly P-47 or P-51.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been incredibly busy with real life and haven't posted for a bit but I've been doing some modelling and have been taking photos as I go so here are the updates.....

The first step was to spray everything with some Future and then get the decals down. As the kit is quite new (but old at the same time), the decals went on with no bother.

20220710_212436.jpg

I then began to rig it using a dab of CA on a thin stick or directly putting the rigging wires into the CA.

20220712_073916.jpg

Once I had got everything in place, I finished the cockpits and got the windscreens on. I think carefully lowered the top wing on and it fit ok but needed a bit of gentle persuading.

20220712_073935.jpg

The next step was to put the undercarriage on. These didn't fit very well as the lugs and holes where all wrong so I cut the lugs off and glued them in place.

sGrJ_pc-4v7LJpAXiY6z8CnH0I4zWJJZgwTOhpUK

I'm pleased with the end result. You certainly can't miss it.

Edited by Richard Tucker
  • Like 10

4 hours ago, Richard Tucker said:

The next step was to put the undercarriage on. These didn't fit very well as the lugs and holes where all wrong so I cut the lugs off and glued them in place

Nice decal and markings choice, well done on a good looking plane. I did the same thing when I built it two years ago. It almost seemed as if they were designed for a different kit. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

It looks terrific- once more, you have me thinking about building mine!

Did you use the kit decals?

P.S.   there’s something wrong with the link to your second photo….

Edited by RC Boater Bill

On 8/22/2022 at 8:50 PM, Old Man said:

Nice work, Richard.

What do you rig with?

I've used the Uschi van der Rosten rigging. It is a little elastic and can be easily attached with some super glue. It does bend a little on contact with the glue so the trick is to put as little as you can at the end of the piece and then it should attach ok.

On 8/24/2022 at 2:27 PM, RC Boater Bill said:

Did you use the kit decals?

Yes - They worked a treat. I'll see if I can sort out the image. I can see ok at my end.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Richard Tucker said:

I've used the Uschi van der Rosten rigging. It is a little elastic and can be easily attached with some super glue. It does bend a little on contact with the glue so the trick is to put as little as you can at the end of the piece and then it should attach ok.

It looks good.

I use EZ-Line in the smallest size, dark. It's diameter is said to be three thou, but it's a fine strip, not round.

I attach about like you, it seems. I put a tiny dab of CA gel where it needs to be, wet the end of the line with accelerator ('liquid patience'), and touch it to the glue. Takes about ten seconds to hold seriously firm, and during that time you can make some adjustments in angle, albeit at the risk of popping a setting joint. If it fails, and sometimes it will, clean up the surface, snip a hair off the end of the line, and try again....

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Richard Tucker said:

I don't do this though as I only have a spray accelerator. I just use some more patience.... :) 

Unscrew the cap, the end of the tube makes a great applicator for a drop here and there. I do a lot of fiddly stuff with CA gel, and spray would be serious overkill.

It'll be nice to see the 'yellow peril' up on two legs and finished.