English Electric Canberra PR9 wing tanks

When the PR9 was still based at Malta, the wing tanks were not that rare, see John Visanich's photos on www.airhistory.net (or the one posted above).

Pictures of a hemp-coloured PR9 with these tanks, however, are rare, but see here: https://www.airliners.net/photo/UK-Air-Force/English-Electric-Canberra-PR9/1036707?qsp=eJwtjDEOwkAMBP/imgYiKNJBRQcFBa1lryAicCfbEpyi/J27QDc7K81Ekl6BT1xKBvXkYJM7rSiz8dOpn%2BiB8k6mlel6XHfbenqyOJQqlAN7EeSA/v3JFNYuuCydW%2BtuGsLOv9Xt6tTB88hLBcHDSPP8BTGhLhk%3D

In the 6 yrs I spent at RAF Wyton (late 81 to mid 87) I cannot remember the PR9s being fitted with wing tanks, apart from when our friends from S America came to see the ones that they were getting. I am not saying that they were never fitted with them as I did not work on them (Nimrod R1s), just that I never saw them fitted.

6 hours ago, GiampieroSilvestri said:

Did RAF English Electric Canberra PR9s carry the wing fuel tanks?I have only seen pictures of Chilean airforce aircraft with tanks fitted.

Thank you very much

Saluti

Giampiero

Yes thay could, but as others have said, it didn't very often. If the were flying long range like a deployment to Malta or one of the more exotic destinations then tips were used, but as with most PR. Canberra's working around the UK or Europe they were not required. Note in the above photo, the position of the tanks on the wing. The wing of the PR.9 was a modified B(I)8 wing with an extended tip, this ment the plumbing remains in the same position as all standard span Canberra's. This increase in span ment the tanks needed to be attached to the new profile wing via an adapter. 

John

Edited by canberra kid
Typos
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, petetasker said:

Vol 2 is due out the end of this month 

We have just sent the final draft back to the publisher, so it should be hitting the shelves soon. There was a delay with Vol.1 due to a worldwide shortage of printing paper, I don't know if this is still the case? 

John

6 hours ago, canberra kid said:

We have just sent the final draft back to the publisher, so it should be hitting the shelves soon. There was a delay with Vol.1 due to a worldwide shortage of printing paper, I don't know if this is still the case? 

John

Good to hear. Have to admit to being blown away by Vol 1

I was going to order one, but then the web site said "We do not ship to Post Office boxes". I live out of town, and mail deliveries are more than a bit hit or miss, so I REQUIRE that anything sent to me is sent to my PO box before I will do business. Sorry, you've missed out on an order.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

I was going to order one, but then the web site said "We do not ship to Post Office boxes". I live out of town, and mail deliveries are more than a bit hit or miss, so I REQUIRE that anything sent to me is sent to my PO box before I will do business. Sorry, you've missed out on an order.

That's a shame, unfortunately I have no control over how the publisher operates, have you tryed World of Books or Ebay? They may have that as an option.

John

Edited by canberra kid
Typo

Thanks, John. I wasn't having a shot at you, but rather at companies that seem to try to avoid doing business. Delivery to a PO box is much more secure than delivery to a home address, and I cannot understand why some companies will not accept it. It's not the first time I've struck this sort of difficulty, which is why I now say that delivery must be to my PO box or I don't buy. The mail delivery in my part of the world is, as I said, a bit hit or miss, and I've lost enough stuff in the past to make it annoying. 

I will try some of the other outlets - someone must have a more reasonable attitude ...

14 minutes ago, Admiral Puff said:

Thanks, John. I wasn't having a shot at you, but rather at companies that seem to try to avoid doing business. Delivery to a PO box is much more secure than delivery to a home address, and I cannot understand why some companies will not accept it. It's not the first time I've struck this sort of difficulty, which is why I now say that delivery must be to my PO box or I don't buy. The mail delivery in my part of the world is, as I said, a bit hit or miss, and I've lost enough stuff in the past to make it annoying. 

I will try some of the other outlets - someone must have a more reasonable attitude ...

It is odd, I would have thought it would have been a perfectly safe option too, especially where you live, it'snot like some third world backwater. I hope you can find another option. 

John

• Like 1