A Taranto Swordfish - 815 NAS “4A” ***** FINISHED *****

Mark,

That is a stunning finish on a stunning kit. Really enjoyed seeing this one progress, and a wealth of information had come out on the raid. You've almost inspired me 😉

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

Truly magnificent! I've been following this on and off and although I may be tempted to tackle a Swordfish now that I've discovered that Tamiya produce the PE rigging kit, I'm never going to achieve the results that you have....so may just admire from afare! 😁 Absolutely stunning work. Looks great with the black undersides too 👌

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Dunny said:

Mark,

That is a stunning finish on a stunning kit. Really enjoyed seeing this one progress, and a wealth of information had come out on the raid. You've almost inspired me 😉

Cheers,

Roger

Thank you Roger.  One of my favourite things about keeping a WIP thread is what I learn along the way from contributors.  I also enjoyed the coincidence that you made the first post on your Stingbag literally as I made my last.

11 hours ago, Dave Slowbuild said:

Looks magnificent Mark, a superb result.

Could spend hours studying all the details - credit to you and the kit :clap:

Dave

Thank you Dave, the kit is indeed magnificent and it’s one where it actually inspires the modeller.

11 hours ago, AliGauld said:

She is a beauty,

Absolute belter.

You fairly rattled through this one and in such high quality as well.

It's been a blast.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thank you Alistair, I was enjoying it so much that I must admit to the odd hour between meetings during the day in order to advance it!  Don’t tell anyone.

8 hours ago, Ngantek said:

You've hit it out the park with this one. It really looks incredible. Expect many stringbags to follow on the forums!

Andy

Thank you, I’m looking forward to yours, too.  There were 21 Swordfish at Taranto, I believe 17 are still unspoken for in our little unofficial GB. ;)

7 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Wow that is a cracker Mark, great work and inspiration for the rest of us in this unofficial GB.

Enjoyed following along. It looks absolutely stunning 

Chris

Thanks Chris, much appreciated.  I’m very much looking forward to all the builds to come now (and I’m still recruiting, apparently!)

7 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Looking superb Mark, a real three dimensional piece of art. I do like the flying wires.

Colin

Thank you Colin.  The PE was the challenge, and notwithstanding my earlier comment I think I would use it again as it looks so right.  I’d just do better next time, particularly by reading the instructions more carefully!

5 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Impeccable build! Showroom finish.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, careful lighting and picking the right angles! 

4 hours ago, iang said:

That looks really good. Excellent build and finish.

Many thanks Ian.  Your contributions were invaluable in terms of subject and some of its details, and I must admit there were times when I though “what would Ian do?” when deciding on a course of action or detailing choice.

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Superb Mark.

The subtleties of your colour and texture work continue to be utterly compelling in all that you do. 👏 

Tony, your turn of phrase is as impressive as your own modelling, I’m very appreciative that you directed some at my Stringbag.  Thank you.  Please start your Wasp soon! 🙏😊

4 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

Truly magnificent! I've been following this on and off and although I may be tempted to tackle a Swordfish now that I've discovered that Tamiya produce the PE rigging kit, I'm never going to achieve the results that you have....so may just admire from afare! 😁 Absolutely stunning work. Looks great with the black undersides too 👌

Never say never!  Thank you for following along and your kind words, the journey is more important than the result, get thee to a shop and start a Swordfish forthwith!

• Like 5

Mark, this is beyond superb.  I always enjoy following your builds and learn a great deal from doing so.  I have to say that this time you've really written the book on how to produce an exhibition-grade build.  You should be very proud of this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mark, ready the instructions is only for when you get stuck!

Regarding the PE flying wires, maybe fine flat silver wire from a jewellers supplier might be an alternative?

Colin

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

Mark, this is beyond superb.  I always enjoy following your builds and learn a great deal from doing so.  I have to say that this time you've really written the book on how to produce an exhibition-grade build.  You should be very proud of this.

Thanks mate, that’s very kind and nice feedback on the WIPs in general.  

7 hours ago, stevehnz said:

A superb result with that Mark, it looks the part most convincingly, helped along by your beautifully taken photos. 👍

Steve.

Much appreciated Steve.  The photos are iPhone straight out the camera with only levelling and crop and for whatever reason they came out really nicely this time, there’s zero skill involved! 

1 hour ago, heloman1 said:

Mark, ready the instructions is only for when you get stuck!

Regarding the PE flying wires, maybe fine flat silver wire from a jewellers supplier might be an alternative?

Colin

That’s a good idea Colin, it would allow for getting them the right length and installing post wing assembly and attachment.  It would be a bit finicky but should achieve a perfect result.

• Like 4

On 7/25/2022 at 10:49 AM, heloman1 said:

It's a pity Tony O'Toole is not longer here in BM. I'm sure he would have also had some very interesting input! The guys breadth of research was immense...

Colin

It is a pity, he defined BM.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2022 at 1:50 PM, iang said:

Chris, that is the same photo as in my book, discussed above. The date is certainly prior to July 1940.

Ian

Ian, can you post information on your book?

• Like 1

Wow, that is beautiful!  The rigging really adds to the realism.  I was intrigued by your mention of PE rigging; is it just long sheets of PE "threads" specially built for this kit? 

As always, a wonderfully realistic build... and a fun thread to follow!

• Thanks 1

On 8/6/2022 at 8:04 PM, OWL1975 said:

Very well done on an impressive looking Swordfish. 

Jerry. 

Thanks.  I was quite impressed with the size of it too, a bigger airframe than I expected.

21 hours ago, Scooby said:

Fabulous build!

Thanks!

4 hours ago, opus999 said:

Wow, that is beautiful!  The rigging really adds to the realism.  I was intrigued by your mention of PE rigging; is it just long sheets of PE "threads" specially built for this kit? 

As always, a wonderfully realistic build... and a fun thread to follow!

Thank you.  More or less, yes, they are PE threads, though they are more accurately described as strips.  Tamiya make the PE for this kit, though it’s sold separately from the plastic.  The kit instructions call out the holes that are required and where and the PE slots slots in.  

• Like 1

Splendid job on the Swordfish Mark....

Such a beauty !!

Super detailled and I can smell the hot oil from here !!

Congratulations !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

Beautiful work!

The paintwork really makes this, nice job! I'm still not a fan of PE rigging, and would never use it myself, but it looks ok here.

Ian

• Thanks 1