Fengda FD186 Running Hot

binbrook87

Hi there

I've had this compressor for a couple of years and the tank always seems to run hot. It has an auto on / off that is supposed to help but doesn't seem to do much and after about 45mins it just shuts down (normally half way through painting!) so i have to let it cool down for an hour or two and carry on which is annoying. Is this normal? Or do you know if any other compressors that can run for longer. Doing complex and freehand camo on 1/48th scale aircraft can sometimes take over an hour per session so it's a bit annoying when you can't complete a job in one sitting.

Thanks in advance 👍👍

My compressor is a similar one.  An AS186, sold by KMS.  They're all pretty much the same, sold by many Chinese based companies and people they've sold them to under different branding.

Mine gets hot also, after about the same time as yours, although it doesn't cut out completely.  So I make a point of leaving it until it's cooled off and come back to what I'm doing later.  Especially in the hot humid weather we're getting at the moment in my part of the UK.

That's despite it having a 3L tank attached, which gets emptied every now and then to make sure there's no water in there rusting it away.

I've seen other discussions here, and across the interwebz, about these type of compressors and the general consensus is that it's normal behaviour.

As you're pumping air around though my basic knowledge tells me that anything doing so will get hot after a while of constant heavy use without some form of cooling.

Personally I've thought about rigging a cooling system up, a fan or two (I've seen some 186-type compressors that have a PC style fan built in already), but I'm not confident of taking the ends off the compressor housing...

Edited by RobL

Aah cheers for the reply. 👍 That's good to know then. I'll put up with it and plan my spraying sessions accordingly. Was thinking about upgrading but there's probably no point. Still better than 3 or 4 sessions with a hairy stick seemingly getting nowhere 😳😁

3 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

Hi there

I've had this compressor for a couple of years and the tank always seems to run hot. It has an auto on / off that is supposed to help but doesn't seem to do much and after about 45mins it just shuts down (normally half way through painting!) so i have to let it cool down for an hour or two and carry on which is annoying. Is this normal? Or do you know if any other compressors that can run for longer. Doing complex and freehand camo on 1/48th scale aircraft can sometimes take over an hour per session so it's a bit annoying when you can't complete a job in one sitting.

Thanks in advance 👍👍

I use a small 10” box fan like this. Since Ive started doing this my compressor never overheats and runs for hours. 

https://www.amazon.com/Efficient-Circulation-Portable-Bathroom-Tabletop/dp/B09MS3MD7S/ref=asc_df_B09MS3MD7S/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=563671159168&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1267851395728740257&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9021610&hvtargid=pla-1645113469916&psc=1

6 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great idea! Thanks... I'll give that a try 👍👍