Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire IXc

I recently got into model building and have built a few of the airliners that I've flown, but was tempted into giving a warbird a go... 
I decided to go for the 1/32 Tamiya IXc Spit & boy was I glad I did, what an amazing kit! After the Revell/Zvezda airliners I've built, this is in a whole different league. Can't believe how well it all fits together and the amazing details, had some minor disasters through my inexperience. Such as the decals bubbling from super clear iii varnish, but managed to just about save them by sanding the decals back and painting the gaps with the airbrush.
I added some after market decals, rocker covers, exhausts, cockpit door, wheels, gun barrels & the amazing Quinta Studio cockpit.
I'm very happy with how it turned out for my first warbird, but really interested to hear any critique., especially on the weathering as its my first go

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png
spacer.png

Edited by Olly Tindall
  • Like 47
  • Thanks 3

Now that's a beauty, being the first it certainly bodes well for your next build as it's fantastic, the crowbar though should be either steel or green, the red is a post war thing.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

A lovely build Olly , `looks like some poor `erk has been busy with a tub of wax polish ! .

Don .

• Like 1

Top effort Ollie, weathering is so subjective, but for a first go it’s pretty good, quite subtle which l like, so many styles and techniques out there you can quickly become overwhelmed so ‘ slowly slowly catchy monkey’ is the way to go. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jonners said:

Did you say "first go", Olly? Wow! Superb result.

Jon

Thanks Jon
My first go at a Warbird, I made a few airliners before this

7 hours ago, Farmerboy said:

Top effort Ollie, weathering is so subjective, but for a first go it’s pretty good, quite subtle which l like, so many styles and techniques out there you can quickly become overwhelmed so ‘ slowly slowly catchy monkey’ is the way to go. 

Thank you
I was going for a fairly subtle look as being a beginner its really easy to go overboard with new techniques when u learn them. Plus I quite like the lightly weathered look and after spending so long masking all the invasion stripes etc, was a bit loathed to ship them to shreds etc  😅

And thank you to everyone else for all the kind words, much appreciated

3 hours ago, HL-10 said:

A very nice looking Spitfire!

Beautiful finish, looks really great :)

Thank you

3 hours ago, Maginot said:

That's a splendid Spitty.

Thanks 

2 hours ago, SafetyDad said:

Great job!

I like the surface semi-gloss finish and your choice of markings too - FU@N :laugh:

SD

Thanks 

Yeah being My first, I wasn't sure what finish to go for. From pics it did look like they had a slight sheen & from reading threads, seems slightly less glossy than semi gloss is was the kind of the consensus.

But I'm very happy to be corrected of people know better, than my limited research 😅

• Like 1